Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: stems and high end graphics card - Page: 1
I have a 'high end graphics card' but since the the latest update by VDJ I the warning message re not using real time stems unless I have a 'high end graphics card'......how to stop this occurring?

Posted Thu 16 Feb 23 @ 12:32 pm
Well you could start by stating which "high end" graphics card you have. It needs to be the right brand and the right model, with a suitable amount of VRAM.

Posted Thu 16 Feb 23 @ 5:41 pm
not entirely sure what 'VRAM' is but the graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Laptop GPU
Total available graphics memory 8037 MB

Posted Thu 16 Feb 23 @ 8:20 pm
spamfreedave wrote :
not entirely sure what 'VRAM' is but the graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Laptop GPU

you need to verify the amount of VRAM because the 4gb version of that card is not up to the task

Posted Thu 16 Feb 23 @ 9:21 pm
spamfreedave wrote :

VRAM stands for "Video Random-Access Memory". It is the DEDICATED RAM built in the GPU. That is what's needed for Stems 2.0. You might think you have a "high end graphic card", which would probably be adequate for a desktop version of it. On the other end, the laptop versions of these same cards have lower power chips (45W instead of 130W for the RTX3050, for obvious power consumption and heat dissipation reasons), but also lower VRAM amounts.

Here is the Task Manager of my Windows 11 box I use with VDJ (sorry, French OS...). In GREEN is the dedicated VRAM of my RTX3060 Ti, in RED is the shared amount of video RAM. Despite the fact my system is reporting 16GB of video RAM, that memory is totally useless for Stems 2.0 computing, only the 8GB dedicated part is important. Hope that helps.

Posted Thu 16 Feb 23 @ 10:19 pm
ok....only just bought the laptop to run the stems facility believing it was up to the job but turns out it only has 4GB of VRAM ....so big expensive oops!!

Posted Thu 16 Feb 23 @ 10:41 pm
thanks for replies

Posted Thu 16 Feb 23 @ 10:46 pm
Yeah the 3050 / 3050ti is a no-go unfortunately. I made exactly the same mistake.

Replaced it with a 3080Ti with 16gb dedicated VRAM and it works well.

Posted Thu 16 Feb 23 @ 10:53 pm
so what is the minimum size of dedicated VRAM required to run Stems 2 then?

Posted Fri 17 Feb 23 @ 11:17 am

Posted Fri 17 Feb 23 @ 11:26 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006

Posted Fri 17 Feb 23 @ 12:01 pm
Fair enough but can't see any reason for this not to be added to the stems FAQ as well in case people read that instead.

Posted Fri 17 Feb 23 @ 12:40 pm
cheers again all......just gotta be on yer toes I guess......the warning note that popped regarding stems 2 before the latest update was not specific at all re requirements nor is the present one come to that...... looks like stems 2 is gonna be beyond my finances for sometime to come if ever sadly

Posted Fri 17 Feb 23 @ 3:26 pm
It's not an ALL or Nothing, with 2.0 stems. (one of the great features of VDJ is flexiblity/configurablity)

You can pre-compute the 2.0 stems with the CPU beforehand for those tracks you need to have the Best Stems separation for, and use the Stems 1.0 separation for all other cases. (VDJ will use the saved 2.0 stems over, creating 1.0 stems, and even if stems is turned off, if the 2.0 stems have been saved)

So if you have a CPU, you can use the 2.0 stems as needed. They are amazing, and you should enjoy the BEST Stem separation that currently exists.

And no need to precompute all 2.0 Stems, for all tracks, if you do not have sufficient Hard Drive space, (though file storage is not costly and easy to increase).
As mentioned only precompute the stems for those tracks that..... having the 2.0 Stems makes sense, else use the 1.0 stems as you have already been enjoying. (setting > StemsRealtimeSeparation > "Reduced quality", to use 1.0 stems )

Summary:
The time to use worlds best Stems separation, only on VDJ, is NOW !

Posted Fri 17 Feb 23 @ 6:05 pm
SepatroPRO InfinityMember since 2019
Your card is fine and meets the specs, apparently. But since a few weeks, many things seem to go wrong with stems. I had a perfectly smooth running system but since 8 days it is unusable.

Posted Sat 18 Feb 23 @ 8:36 am
bazzio68ControlleristMember since 2018
Well i guess i bought the wrong Asus laptop with a RTX350ti too. Didn't bought it for VDJ though...

If i look in performances (task manager) the GPU isn't even being used by VDJ, although i configured VDJ to use the Nvidia card (i can see the logo when starting VDJ).

Why can't VDJ make a "force GPU instead of CPU" option in the settings?

Hopefully future updates (VDJ and/or Nvidia) will fix this issue because i bought a home plus license especially for the use of stems 2.0. Yes ofcourse i can use prepare... but this is really a bummer for a laptop with this decent specs.

Posted Tue 21 Feb 23 @ 8:24 pm
In performance settings, change to

Reduced Quality

Under Automatic, also set to

Prepare with Reduced Quality

Uncheck

Don't Use GPU

My old laptop now working fine with Stems, admittedly the vocal remover isn't perfect and there's a bit of a delay, but in a mix I don't think anyone would notice.

Going to see if I can set switches to kill each instead of using knobs, see if that helps.

Posted Tue 28 Mar 23 @ 7:20 pm
Sepatro wrote :
Your card is fine and meets the specs, apparently. But since a few weeks, many things seem to go wrong with stems. I had a perfectly smooth running system but since 8 days it is unusable.

No, this is not true
You writing it again and again doesn't make it any more true

Posted Tue 28 Mar 23 @ 7:27 pm
Right click kills the EQ

Posted Tue 28 Mar 23 @ 7:33 pm
klausmogensen wrote :
Sepatro wrote :

No, this is not true
You writing it again and again doesn't make it any more true

in version 7388 and with the oldest nvidia drivers for the 3050 4gb it worked fine, the updates arrived and it stopped working. no

Posted Tue 28 Mar 23 @ 11:12 pm
67%