Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: virtual dj 2023 controller
Can anyone tell me the best smaller Pioneer 2 channel dj Controller that will work best with this software 2023 and all its features stems etc. ? and is there a controller suggested by vdj?

Posted Sun 25 Dec 22 @ 9:14 pm
Any Controller. Pick what fits you and your purpose.

Posted Sun 25 Dec 22 @ 9:16 pm
bubblebPRO InfinityMember since 2013
I think RELOOP READY is best.

Posted Mon 26 Dec 22 @ 2:23 am
That's not made by Pioneer.

Posted Mon 26 Dec 22 @ 8:48 am
It would be nice if Virtual DJ would actually post a list of controllers that work best with VDJ..........I've had several controllers, and non of them have worked perfectly with VDJ the way my original Newmark Mixtrack Pro did back when VDJ used to actually work with controller companies. Would be nice if they would get back together with controller manufacturers and come up with a controller specifically designed to take advantage of all the features of VDJ, instead of having to tweak and remap things to get controllers to work with VDJ. Its my least favorite part of DJing, trying to find a new controller..almost makes me want to switch to
Serato..........almost.... lol

Posted Fri 06 Jan 23 @ 8:37 pm
Define "work best".

There's already a list of controllers supported by VDJ in the wiki. They all work. They all have their controls mapped to VDJ functions. Which one is "best" comes down to you and your requirements.

Posted Fri 06 Jan 23 @ 11:26 pm
What many people tend to forget is that for the most part a controller is just a set of buttons, sliders and encoders that can be programmed (or reprogrammed) to do literally anything.

When we support a controller we try to program (script) those buttons/sliders/encoders to do whatever the silkscreen of the device says they do, and/or whatever they do with the software that comes in their box.
However, our primary goal is NOT to copy the way other software titles do things. That's why sometimes people complain that "it's not perfect". Because they expect something to work exactly like it does in other software.
Well, VirtualDJ has it's own way of doing various things. And it also has tons of features/things that are not directly supported by controllers because they were designed for a different features set.

Take a look at stems. There's (still) no controller commercially available in the market that supports stems.
So, we had to introduce stems in pads (despite that no controller has a "STEMS" pad mode).
We also had to introduce assignable PAD MODES (pad pages) so that you don't have to rely on what's printed on your device for your pads, but instead you can use any mode on any button, and even use new features on older controllers that "don't originally support them"
Finally we had to introduce using outer/inner EQ controls on 4 deck controllers to manipulate STEMS in a linear fashion for more precise mixing.

All of the above mean that your controller will not operate "exactly" as it does with another software.
But from our point of view, our mapping offers you much more value out of the same set of buttons/sliders/encoders.

Posted Sat 07 Jan 23 @ 3:24 am
+1

Posted Sat 07 Jan 23 @ 5:14 am
+1

Posted Sat 07 Jan 23 @ 8:10 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
What many people tend to forget is that for the most part a controller is just a set of buttons, sliders and encoders that can be programmed (or reprogrammed) to do literally anything.

When we support a controller we try to program (script) those buttons/sliders/encoders to do whatever the silkscreen of the device says they do, and/or whatever they do with the software that comes in their box.
However, our primary goal is NOT to copy the way other software titles do things. That's why sometimes people complain that "it's not perfect". Because they expect something to work exactly like it does in other software.
Well, VirtualDJ has it's own way of doing various things. And it also has tons of features/things that are not directly supported by controllers because they were designed for a different features set.

Take a look at stems. There's (still) no controller commercially available in the market that supports stems.
So, we had to introduce stems in pads (despite that no controller has a "STEMS" pad mode).
We also had to introduce assignable PAD MODES (pad pages) so that you don't have to rely on what's printed on your device for your pads, but instead you can use any mode on any button, and even use new features on older controllers that "don't originally support them"
Finally we had to introduce using outer/inner EQ controls on 4 deck controllers to manipulate STEMS in a linear fashion for more precise mixing.

All of the above mean that your controller will not operate "exactly" as it does with another software.
But from our point of view, our mapping offers you much more value out of the same set of buttons/sliders/encoders.

I'm screenshoting this answer, and keeping it on "speed copy/paste" for future use everywhere :)

Posted Sat 07 Jan 23 @ 8:40 am
Guys, any controller and LaunchPAD PRO, and then all the functions of VDJ will be under your control.

I have this

I reprogrammed all the buttons and knobs to suit my needs.

Posted Sat 07 Jan 23 @ 8:13 pm
This is why it would be nice if VDJ would work with a controller company to make a controller specifically to support all the features that VDJ has, which tends to go above and beyond the competition. That would be better then trying to fit controllers made for Serato or Recordbox to work with VDJ feautures...

If there was a controller specifically built for VDJ - to support all the features in VDJ... and it was built solid, and laid out well, I'd buy it in a heartbeat...

PhantomDeejay wrote :

Posted Wed 29 Mar 23 @ 10:38 pm