Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: BUG REPORT: Stems mapping to a pot / slider distortion over 50%
Hi guys. I mapped 4 controller sliders to get continuous control over rhythm / bass / instru / vocal. Here is my original mapping:

<map value="GROUP_SL_1" action="stem "rhythm""/>
<map value="GROUP_SL_2" action="stem "bass""/>
<map value="GROUP_SL_3" action="stem "instru""/>
<map value="GROUP_SL_4" action="stem "vocal""/>

Now, each individual Stem volume goes from 0-100% with the faders between 0-50% (0.0-0.5 input). Anything between 50%-100% on the faders (0.5-1.0 input) overdrive each Stems, as if the "nominal" level for a Stem was originally 50% of the value. Here is my workaround, but unless I missed something, I don't think I should need to do it:

<map value="GROUP_SL_1" action="param_multiply 0.5 & stem "rhythm""/>
<map value="GROUP_SL_2" action="param_multiply 0.5 & stem "bass""/>
<map value="GROUP_SL_3" action="param_multiply 0.5 & stem "instru""/>
<map value="GROUP_SL_4" action="param_multiply 0.5 & stem "vocal""/>

I also tried on several controllers and they all trigger the same behaviour, as all pots / sliders ranges from 0.0 to 1.0.

Cheers :-)

Posted Sat 10 Dec 22 @ 2:34 pm
Am I the only one who mapped pots and/or sliders on STEMS ? Anyone else also noticed that ?

Posted Sat 17 Dec 22 @ 7:41 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
I believe the majority is using Stems with Pads or EQ knobs. You correctly found that if you dont want boosting a Stem and avoid distortion, limiter etc, you need to either not exceed 50% (same as if you are using EQ knobs) or add a param_multiply 0.5
In a future update there may be a new action for such cases, but it will be just a simplified version of what you already found.

Posted Sun 18 Dec 22 @ 12:21 am
bibi-bPRO InfinityMember since 2022
Interessting! What I want to archive:
On a knob I want to have just the Vocals on Position 0. Everything in on Position 50. And on 100 I want to have everything in but the Vocals.
Any hints how to Script that knob?
Cheers

Posted Sun 18 Dec 22 @ 12:35 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Try ..
param_smaller 50% ? stem 'Rhythm' & stem 'Melody' & stem 'Vocals' 50% : stem 'Rhythm' 50% & stem 'Melody' 50% & param_invert & stem 'Vocal'

Posted Sun 18 Dec 22 @ 2:27 pm
user26336043 wrote :
Interessting! What I want to archive:
On a knob I want to have just the Vocals on Position 0. Everything in on Position 50. And on 100 I want to have everything in but the Vocals.
Any hints how to Script that knob?
Cheers

That is what the filter knob does currently, if sound color fx is set to vocal
So for thet the script is simply
Filter
_and then you of course need to make sure that the sound color effect is set to vocal

Posted Sun 18 Dec 22 @ 2:27 pm
The way I read it, he wants it to work in reverse - instrumental when turned clockwise, acca when turned anti-clockwise.

Posted Sun 18 Dec 22 @ 2:52 pm
bibi-bPRO InfinityMember since 2022
Thanks you all. I will try the script and the way with the mentioned "filter / color fx" and see what works better for me.

Many thanks!!

Posted Sun 18 Dec 22 @ 3:39 pm