Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: DDJ-800 Issues with Virtual DJ - Page: 1
Ever since I got my DDJ-800 I've experienced the following issues:
1. Activating an effect on a channel (Loop Roll, Cut etc.) can kill the audio of that channel. The issue is only resolved after a full computer restart. Restarting just virtual DJ doesn't solve the issue.

[2. When mixing videos, all channels can just lose audio. The problem can only be fixed in the same way stated above.

3. Jogwheel sometimes displays "NO AUDIO DRIVER" but then everything works.

4. Tracks become laggy for no reason and finally all audio is cut off.

STEPS I'VE TAKEN
1. Firmware update/reinstall
2. Reinstalling Virtual DJ and drivers as well.

I'm running VDJ 2021 on a Mac M1, 8GB RAM, Big Sur and 512 SSD
Any assistance will be gladly appreciated.

Posted Sat 19 Mar 22 @ 1:37 am
From your description, the issue seems to be caused by your audio driver rather than VDJ.

Clues:
The audio disappears.
Restarting VDJ doesn't help.
Message states "no audio driver".

Posted Sat 19 Mar 22 @ 10:37 am
Got any ideas for a fix please?

Posted Sun 20 Mar 22 @ 11:00 pm

Posted Sun 20 Mar 22 @ 11:23 pm

Posted Mon 21 Mar 22 @ 8:59 am
"No Audio Drivers" on DDJ-800 display means that the controller lost connection with the PC/MAC
Therefore you need to troubleshoot USB connection issues.
Start by your USB cable cable and move on to try different USB ports and/or a different computer e.t.c.
It doesn't matter if you use VirtualDJ or Rekordbox Dj either if you see "No audio drivers" message on screen.
The issue is happening before the communication reaches "software" level (it happens on OS level)

Posted Mon 21 Mar 22 @ 2:04 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
"No Audio Drivers" on DDJ-800 display means that the controller lost connection with the PC/MAC
Therefore you need to troubleshoot USB connection issues.
Start by your USB cable cable and move on to try different USB ports and/or a different computer e.t.c.
It doesn't matter if you use VirtualDJ or Rekordbox Dj either if you see "No audio drivers" message on screen.
The issue is happening before the communication reaches "software" level (it happens on OS level)

Thanks Phantom but the no audio driver display is the least of my problems. Even though that error message displays, the controller still works fine. The error clears also when i restart my Mac. What I’m really worried about is the audio loss in the channels. Sometimes I have to switch to either deck 3 or 4 to keep on playing till I get the chance to restart. Even with that, the deck 3 and 4 can lose audio also.

Posted Mon 21 Mar 22 @ 8:29 pm
The "NO AUDIO DRIVER" message comes from the device itself.
It's not sent by VirtualDJ or Rekordbox DJ, not even from the drivers of the device (directly at least)

What happens is this:
The unit's firmware checks via a complicated procedure it's connection with the host computer.
If no connection can be established, that message appears on screen.
If drivers are not installed on the host computer this message appears as well.
If both connection can be established, and communication with the drivers of the device is OK then the screens will switch to show a PioneerDJ logo on one side, and a Rekordbox DJ logo on the other side.

All of the above operations are done from the device's firmware.

Therefore, if you see that message (NO AUDIO DRIVER) on your screen for any reason, then that's the source of all of your problems.
That message simply shows that the device firmware lost proper connection (even briefly) with the host computer. Not just with the DJ software.. But with the computer!
It may be possible that a part of the communication was not lost, or that after a brief disconnection the sound was able to keep going...
But having disconnections of the controller from the computer itself is never a good thing.

Therefore, that's what you should fix, and I'm pretty sure afterwards everything else will also be fixed.

PS: I use DDJ-800 myself regularly and I don't have disconnection issues. Also I'm pretty familiar with the device and how it operates. Therefore, trust me, it's the disconnection issues you must fix first!

Posted Mon 21 Mar 22 @ 9:47 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
The "NO AUDIO DRIVER" message comes from the device itself.
It's not sent by VirtualDJ or Rekordbox DJ, not even from the drivers of the device (directly at least)

What happens is this:
The unit's firmware checks via a complicated procedure it's connection with the host computer.
If no connection can be established, that message appears on screen.
If drivers are not installed on the host computer this message appears as well.
If both connection can be established, and communication with the drivers of the device is OK then the screens will switch to show a PioneerDJ logo on one side, and a Rekordbox DJ logo on the other side.

All of the above operations are done from the device's firmware.

Therefore, if you see that message (NO AUDIO DRIVER) on your screen for any reason, then that's the source of all of your problems.
That message simply shows that the device firmware lost proper connection (even briefly) with the host computer. Not just with the DJ software.. But with the computer!
It may be possible that a part of the communication was not lost, or that after a brief disconnection the sound was able to keep going...
But having disconnections of the controller from the computer itself is never a good thing.

Therefore, that's what you should fix, and I'm pretty sure afterwards everything else will also be fixed.

PS: I use DDJ-800 myself regularly and I don't have disconnection issues. Also I'm pretty familiar with the device and how it operates. Therefore, trust me, it's the disconnection issues you must fix first!

Thank you very much, Phantom. come to think of it, I used a Mixtrack Pro 3 briefly before the DDJ-800. I would periodically have software restarts when mixing for no reason. I thought the problem would just go away after changing my controller. Although it did, this new issue with the DDJ-800 has replaced it. Would you recommend I get a new USB-C Hub for the macbook? because I doubt it's the DDJ-800's USB. I'm using the one straight from the box, and it's still relatively new and different from the one I used for the Mixtrack Pro 3.

Posted Tue 22 Mar 22 @ 8:16 am
I would try a different USB cable first, then a different USB C hub.
USB cables are cheaper.. :P But it doesn't even has to be new. Just try one or two different USB cables you may have around.
If the problem persists it's not the cable. If the problem gets solved, then buy a new USB cable :)

PS: I remember reading that some early USB C hubs could cause various issues. So, that may be indeed your issue. Perhaps (depending on your peripheral devices and number of available ports) you could also try to get a USB C to USB B cable to connect the controller directly to a USB C port.

Posted Tue 22 Mar 22 @ 8:29 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
I would try a different USB cable first, then a different USB C hub.
USB cables are cheaper.. :P But it doesn't even has to be new. Just try one or two different USB cables you may have around.
If the problem persists it's not the cable. If the problem gets solved, then buy a new USB cable :)

PS: I remember reading that some early USB C hubs could cause various issues. So, that may be indeed your issue. Perhaps (depending on your peripheral devices and number of available ports) you could also try to get a USB C to USB B cable to connect the controller directly to a USB C port.

Thanks for all the help Phantom! I'll try with a different USB and revert with any changes. I appreciate.

Posted Tue 22 Mar 22 @ 9:58 am
Regarding my earlier post on the issues I've had with my VDJ and DDJ-800 on my M1 Macbook, I've narrowed down the possible causes;

1. I am a video DJ and mostly, I mix music videos and karaoke videos. The audio loss issue only happens when I'm mixing videos (with a projector output) and playing karaoke videos.

2. It sometimes happens after I connect to the internet while mixing videos.

3. I have mixed several hours of just audio files and never had the audio loss issue. The only issue I had when mixing audio was the loss in channel audio after I activate an effect (loop roll, trans etc.) on that channel, but that seems to have resolved itself.

Steps I've taken

1. I have already reinstalled Virtual DJ and DDJ-800 drivers several times.
2. I have purchased a direct USB C to USB B cable to connect to the laptop directly without a USB Hub as I was asked to do but still the problem persists.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Posted Tue 29 Mar 22 @ 9:23 am
At this point I'm wondering if your MAC is capable to do all that stuff without issues.
I don't own a M1 chip, but I know that they are pretty fast. However 8GB of RAM seems too little these days for all that stuff that's going on.
However I would like you to do another test before we jump to any conclusions.
Do a test video mix where the video does not get send out via HDMI. Just minimize the master video output window on your MAC screen and test..

I'm asking because a friend of mine in the past had all sort of issues with his MAC when using HDMI to connect to external monitors. I'm not saying that this is the root of your issues, but it would be nice to exclude it as a possible reason

Posted Tue 29 Mar 22 @ 1:09 pm
Hi, Thanks for the reply

I am able to mix videos when I have minimized the video output box without any issue. The issue is just when I am mixing videos connected to the projector.

Posted Tue 29 Mar 22 @ 1:57 pm
Hmmm. Perhaps then it's indeed the HDMI connection that's freezing up and causing the OS to disconnect from the controller ?
Can you troubleshoot that ? Like try a different (and preferably short) HDMI cable, or use a HDMI booster (or if you use one to try without it e.t.c.) ???
I'm just throwing some ideas out for you to test things.

Posted Tue 29 Mar 22 @ 2:29 pm
Thanks Phantom. I’ll try that as well

Posted Tue 29 Mar 22 @ 4:30 pm
Hello, All...Here's a quick update on my issue.

1. The audio cut problem is not peculiar to playing videos as I initially thought. It happens with normal audio as well. It begins with the waveform lagging and the DDJ-800 jog screen waveform lagging as well till the audio finally cuts off. Again, the only way to resolve it is to restart my Mac and controller. The CPU monitor doesn't record extreme usage or stress but it acts as such.

2. I doubt it's an issue with the RAM on my 2020 M1 Macbook because I've used Virtual DJ flawlessly on low-end PCs with as low as 4GB ram.

I honestly feel very helpless and drained with this issue. It's giving me problems with all my gigs and I'll gladly welcome any help and suggestions.

Posted Mon 11 Apr 22 @ 12:58 pm
Recentenly i upgrade from macbook pro 2011 to Macbook Air M1 2020
i have used the same equipaments XDJ R1 and cablE USB.

Connection: XDJ -> HUB usb -> Ubs C port on Macbook
I Have issues when the the controller disconect from vdj, but the audio still turn on.

so i try in my last gig to conect the xdj r1 directly on a usb-C port using an simple adapter, and i use the hub to connect my external drive and the the energy cable.
This time i have 5 times disconections and the audio stoped too... in the about 30 min of gig

that was very sad !!

Now im tryng to do tests to understand what the hell is going on.,,,

im testin right now at my home , using the same set and connections i have used last night, and then im about 2 hours without problems, ,...i dont know... im still afraid that happen something bad in a gig again

Posted Sun 29 May 22 @ 4:16 pm
Perhaps power issues on the places you gig (or electronic interferences) ?

Posted Sun 29 May 22 @ 4:57 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Perhaps power issues on the places you gig (or electronic interferences) ?

if thats true will be always complicated and i wll be afraid ,
maybe i will buy another cable ubs-c specific for audio and without adpater and test in some gigs , with a backup equipament...

i have been serach for firmeware and last is 2016 (XDJ r1)

Posted Sun 29 May 22 @ 5:52 pm
95%