Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: where does VDJ save track analysis and virtual folders data?
I prefer to save all of my data onto an external HD so that when possible, it's all I carry with me.

this worked well with Serato as it saved cue points, track analysis, etc... in the same root folder that the music existed.

I noticed, VDJ created a database in my external HD... and I think it's doing what I need. But just wanted to get confirmation that it's not saving any other info on my local HD (I'm on a Mac).

Posted Thu 09 Dec 21 @ 8:26 pm
VirtualDJ stores data mainly on two locations.
  • Documents/VirtualDJ folder
    This folder contains most of VirtualDJ's data.
    When it comes to media tracks however, inside that folder you will need to take a look at 2 things:
    [list]
  • The "database.xml" file
    This file stores all information (including hotcues e.t.c.) about the tracks of your MAC's internal drive.
  • The "folders" subfolder
    This subfolder holds most of the "Virtual Folders" (similar to Serato Crates) and "Filter Folders" (similar to Serato Smart Crates) of your system.

• The "VirtualDJ" folder at the root of any external drive
    This folder also has it's own "database.xml" file and "folders" subfolder
    • The "database.xml" in this case holds all the information about the tracks that are stored on that particular drive.
    • The "folders" subfolder also contains "Virtual Folders" and "Filter Folders" depending on where you originally created them.
    [/list]

Two other locations you may want to have a look, are the "History" and "Playlists" folders inside "Documents/VirtualDJ" folder.
    I believe it's self explanatory what they hold.

PS: VirtualDJ has a "backup" and "restore" feature that can deal with all of this stuff.

If all you care about is just portability (and you don't care about History and/or Playlists) then all you have to do is to make sure that all your Virtual and Filter folders are stored on your external drive.
    You can even move the files from "Documents/VirtualDJ/Folders" folder to let's say "/Volumes/Music HDD/VirtualDJ/Folders" folder (that's your external drive BTW) without any issue and keep working on them.
  •  

Posted Thu 09 Dec 21 @ 11:26 pm
    Appreciate the quick reply!

Posted Fri 10 Dec 21 @ 3:15 am