Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: High-pitched artifacts when recording audio with OBS
Hi,

I'm trying to record some clips of mixes in OBS with a camera and screen captures but I'm getting a lot of artifacts in the audio recordings. I've tried a lot of different settings and audio routing and am still getting it in all recordings. I don't get the artifacts if I just record the audio in virtual DJ though so I'm guessing it has something to do with my audio routing/settings or could gpu spikes etc. produce audio artifacts?

Here is a recording of the artifacts:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1svMwoZpSVYZJGt-lS9s9wT3TwkT8bLbz/view?usp=sharing

Can anyone recommend settings/routing to use?

I'm currently using the pioneer DDJ asio as master and headphones output with an added master output for VB virtual audio cable. I'm then using the virtual audio cable as an audio input capture source in OBS.

I have tried using the audio cable as both input and output captures in OBS as well as using my audient id14 interface and just the realtek speakers as audio output captures in OBS and I am still getting the artifacts in every recording. I've tried different sample rates and buffers as well but nothing I've tried has eliminated the artifacts. I'm running the levels in the green probably peaking around -20db most of the time.

Posted Tue 07 Dec 21 @ 2:56 pm
i've also just done a test recording just a single audio output capture source in OBS, no video, which was my system realtek headphone device. When playing a single track through itunes or the windows music app it doesn't happen. But when playing multiple tracks through virtual DJ and also Rekordbox as well, i get the artifacts again. This was just playing the tracks in the software without a controller this time as well.

Is it something to do with the multiple channels?

I've also tried this in streamlabs obs and had the artifacts when capturing the signal from Virtual DJ as well. It doesn't seem to be isolated to a single app or input/output device so I can't figure out what the issue is.

Posted Tue 07 Dec 21 @ 7:04 pm
is there any particular reason you're involving OBS?

You said that recording the audio in VDJ works fine, so why not just use VDJ?

FYI you can stream directly from VDJ too, if you're trying to record while streaming.

Posted Tue 07 Dec 21 @ 10:24 pm
The reason I'm using OBS is to capture the video as well. I'm just recording small clips for social media with a view of what i'm doing and VDJ screen captures, but I'm also recording tutorial videos as well where I need to add my mic, multiple cameras, screen captures and the audio from VDJ, Rekordbox, Ableton etc.

I had given up and decided I'll just combine mp3's I've already recorded from VDJ with the videos from OBS using DaVinci Resolve but I've just tried that and they don't seem to play at the same speed. The video falls behind the audio track considerably over time. Adjusting the speed doesn't get them in time either.

Posted Tue 07 Dec 21 @ 11:43 pm
Think I may have resolved this if anyone else happens to have the same issue. Will have to test on other recordings later but for now it seems to have avoided the artifacts on the same sample I was continuously recording.

The solution involved downloading the iTunes AAC encoder. Guessing the default encoder OBS was using was causing the issues. Here's the guide for reference:

https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/obs-studio-enable-coreaudio-aac-encoder-windows.220/

Posted Wed 08 Dec 21 @ 3:23 pm