Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Numark NVII crash
AmpliFJPRO InfinityMember since 2013
Hi i already talked about my problem in an another similar discussion, but i want to start my own post with this specific issue

I have my controller for few months already and everything was running great without any single issues since day one but starting to randomly crash since about 2 months ago.

The problem also happened on older version (last 2-3 updates) of the software, i got updated today and i got the same freeze/crash problem.

VDJ is running on my dell studio xps17 laptop with win7 / i7 with the 4 decks orignal skin

Each time ive done a dj session, in about 30 min to 2 hours of running, the controller froze suddenly.

I noticed it almost always happen when punching 2 cues at the same time on 2 separated decks (whaterver the decks combined 1/2 1/4 3/2 3/4).

The laptop is still running fine no issues at all here, i 'only' have to reboot the vdj to get the controler back working reseted.

I just got a crash fews minutes ago and i notice vdj play button is flashing on the screen and on the controller like the track in still in cue but the vu meter are frozen on both. The controller is not responding at all and If i click on any button on the screen vdj will be unoperable, but i found that i can go into the settings menu and i seen 'crash report level' in option.

Can the technical support can help me to get crash log to find the problem source??

It happened (again) on a gig last weekend and it's so frustrating to lost everything...

THANKS

Posted Thu 04 Nov 21 @ 4:08 am
The crash logs capture data only when VirtualDJ crashes, not when Windows declare it as "not responding" or when a controller stops working.

What you seem to experience is a controller disconnection that's not 100% clean.
This means that until you exit the software the controller does not reset it's internals in order to start talking with applications again.

Now you would ask why this is happening. And that's not easy to answer.
The first thing that you should check is DPC latency. Especially since your laptop is Dell.
A lot of Dell laptops are known to cause random high DPC latency issues. Some times these issues can be solved by completely uninstalling the "Dell Support Assist" application that comes with them.
Other times that's not enough.

Anyway, you should start by checking your DPC latency, and if that's ok or if you fix it and the problem still persists we can dig further

Posted Thu 04 Nov 21 @ 7:18 am
Old thread revival!!

First, thanks for the troubleshooting checkup; when validating DPC latency, you where right, my old dell xps has theses issues but the problem was still appear randomly...

So I decided to buy a brand new gaming laptop (ASUS TUF15 with i7-11800H, 512gb ssd, 16gb ram, rtx3050ti, win10) before christmas. Everything was perfect until i experience 2 times since, the same 'freeze' problem... again randomly but now everything is fine with the DPC latency (no sign of problem).

I recorded a audio session last night and the problem appeared after 3.5hrs of mixing...

What can i do next to fix that because i have some gigs coming and im stressed to have that crash during live show ;(

THANKS

EDIT : On my pc, the Numark NV MKII control panel give me the possibility to adjust the 'preferred buffer size' (512 by default) from 64 to 4096; can it help me to usemore buffer size?? is that related?

PhantomDeejay wrote :
The crash logs capture data only when VirtualDJ crashes, not when Windows declare it as "not responding" or when a controller stops working.

What you seem to experience is a controller disconnection that's not 100% clean.
This means that until you exit the software the controller does not reset it's internals in order to start talking with applications again.

Now you would ask why this is happening. And that's not easy to answer.
The first thing that you should check is DPC latency. Especially since your laptop is Dell.
A lot of Dell laptops are known to cause random high DPC latency issues. Some times these issues can be solved by completely uninstalling the "Dell Support Assist" application that comes with them.
Other times that's not enough.

Anyway, you should start by checking your DPC latency, and if that's ok or if you fix it and the problem still persists we can dig further

Posted Fri 18 Feb 22 @ 6:57 pm
Does it still happen when you press two "cues" at the same time, or it doesn't matter ?
Any particular pattern ?
Also, I assume you have tried different USB cables and ports, right ?

Posted Fri 18 Feb 22 @ 7:00 pm
Last night crash happened when i loaded a track and punch the first cue button

EDIT : not tried different cables or ports, will try that

PhantomDeejay wrote :
Does it still happen when you press two "cues" at the same time, or it doesn't matter ?
Any particular pattern ?
Also, I assume you have tried different USB cables and ports, right ?

Posted Fri 18 Feb 22 @ 7:07 pm
I just got a new usb cable, used another usb port and i got the same freeze up @ just 8 minutes of mixing...

error occur the same way, when punching a cue (different deck from last time)

I was recording the session, but the problem also happened when i was not recording too...

Posted Tue 22 Feb 22 @ 2:39 am
Have you noticed if those cues that cause your unit to crash have anything in common ?
Maybe they have negative times (they are before the start of the track) or something else in common ?

Posted Tue 22 Feb 22 @ 10:49 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Have you noticed if those cues that cause your unit to crash have anything in common ?
Maybe they have negative times (they are before the start of the track) or something else in common ?

I can say it's always a different track when happening (i have not noticed if it's a negative cue, i will pay attention next time), but it's always with cue #1 (whatever the deck used)

**i just done a 1.5hr set (without recording) and it's was without any issues; I also set the buffer to 1024 (instead of 512) in the numark driver app (don't know if it's change anything!)

Let's do some more testing tonight!

Posted Tue 22 Feb 22 @ 8:37 pm
I've done few set (without recording!) since last week and everything is working fine.

Right now i just finished a 140 min set with 105 songs (all cue punched) and it was flawless...

could it be the buffer setting that i changed??

I will try with recording again my set next time to see if it make a difference.

Posted Fri 04 Mar 22 @ 12:54 am
Increasing the buffer could be a possible solution, yes.
It means that now your PC has more time to communicate with the controller and vice versa.
Perhaps the ASIO drivers of NVII crashed at some point with lower buffer on your system.

Keep an eye and let us know how it goes.

Posted Fri 04 Mar 22 @ 9:09 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Increasing the buffer could be a possible solution, yes.
It means that now your PC has more time to communicate with the controller and vice versa.
Perhaps the ASIO drivers of NVII crashed at some point with lower buffer on your system.

Keep an eye and let us know how it goes.

Sad news, after 2 weeks of of testing almost every night (and within recording my sets), i got multiple freeze last night :(

After 58 min, it froze like the other times without changing anything; i noticed the track but no negative time on cue 1 so it's not that... i rebooted the laptop, restart vdj and it froze like 2.5 min right after starting the set (with recording), it did it a 3rd time after 3 min and also a 4th time after 28 min (with all differents tracks)

at least it happed at home but it's stressful to think that can happen on live gig

What can we check next??

Thanks

**EDIT I will try with a lower buffer instead (128) to see if any difference

Posted Mon 14 Mar 22 @ 9:01 pm
At this point I can't be really helpfull.
If it's incosistent, there's always a chance of a faulty unit, or faulty PSU.
Lower buffer won't help as well.

Posted Mon 14 Mar 22 @ 10:47 pm
Still testing...

I changed the power supply for another one (same oem) and the problem is still present ;(

it still random from time to time, very frustrating!

I was able to stream a 4h session (and few others) on twitch without any isses, and the next day it crashed after 1h.

The thing I noticed, it's always happening ONLY when pressing the 'cue 1 button' whatever the deck; i normally use/press almost all buttons of the controller when in sessions and never had a crash from the others buttons.

Is there a way to monitor/log 'cue 1' usage!? (hope you can understand)

THANKS

EDIT : i was temped to move to a Pioneer DDJ-1000 to radicaly (fingers crossed) solve the problem, but the unit is backorder till october ;(

Posted Fri 08 Apr 22 @ 7:47 pm
sofitLE userMember since 2008
Remap cue 1 to cue 2. Hot cue setup cue 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 to 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. Problem controllers Numark & Pioneer. Virtual dj 2021 and 2023.

Posted Sat 25 Feb 23 @ 1:02 pm