Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Why does the pioneer_cue action always behave like cue_hold?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Why does the pioneer_cue action always behave like cue-hold? (cue-hold is a setting for cueMode, not an action)
From the description of the action it reads like the only difference to the cue action should be the blinking patterns (what the action returns to the LED) but otherwise behave either the same as (optimally) cue_button (to honor the cueMode setting), or at least like normal cue.
However, pioneer_cue always behaves like cue with the cueMode set to cue-hold, regardless of what it's actually set to.
So no matter what you configure, pioneer_cue will always keep the song playing when you release after 2 seconds instead of stopping and rewinding to the cue point like cue does.

So why does it behave like this? I have a DDJ-1000 which uses pioneer_cue in the default mapping and i assume lots of other Pioneer gear do so too, since otherwise Atomix wouldn't have made an action specifically for this.

If this is intentional, it should be documented, maybe even the name changed to pioneer_cue_hold or something. If not, maybe we could get a fix so that it honors the cueMode setting =)

Posted Sun 20 Dec 20 @ 6:57 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
It's called pioneer_cue because it behaves like the cue button on pioneer gear :p
If you prefer another cue mode you could indeed change the mapping to cue_button.

Posted Sun 20 Dec 20 @ 7:05 pm
I understand why it's called like that, but it doesn't behave like the cue button on pioneer gear :p
Neither the CDJs nor my DDJ-1000 in Rekordbox 6 have the hold functionality. The song always stops and reverses when i let go of it. I also can't find a setting in Rekordbox so achieve such a behaviour but that's not surprising.
So my question is still stands: Why does pioneer_cue always keep playing after 2 seconds as if cue-hold was enabled?

Posted Sun 20 Dec 20 @ 7:51 pm

Posted Sun 20 Dec 20 @ 8:19 pm
Well, on CDJs (in stand alone CD/USB/SD mode) by default if you hold CUE down for more than 2 secs, the song keeps playing.
Just tested again here with a CDJ-2000NXS2
I believe there is a setting you can change on CDJ utility menu to change that, but it's not the default behavior.

Posted Sun 20 Dec 20 @ 9:59 pm
Interesting. Before posting my last reply i hit up a YouTube video that claimed to explain the cue button on CDJs because i wanted to be sure that it didn't "hold". It must be that the guy disabled the feature on his CDJ then.

Posted Sun 20 Dec 20 @ 11:15 pm
Actually that guy had it connected to Rekordbox (i'm guessing through HID, but i'm not sure).
I'm currently figuring out and asking other DJs which devices this works on, because i couldn't find literally any reference or source that this works on any devices yet.

Posted Mon 21 Dec 20 @ 12:51 pm
Just use the normal cue_button instead of pioneer_cue

Posted Mon 21 Dec 20 @ 1:04 pm
Rune (dj-in-norway) wrote :
Just use the normal cue_button instead of pioneer_cue

Of course, that's what i've been doing ever since i got my DDJ-1000.
I'm not 'concerned' about myself, but everyone else that's using Pioneer gear with VDJ. And the people who use scripts. If you read "pioneer_cue", you'd expect it to replicate how it works in standalone mode or with Rekordbox.

Posted Mon 21 Dec 20 @ 1:40 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Well, on CDJs (in stand alone CD/USB/SD mode) by default if you hold CUE down for more than 2 secs, the song keeps playing.
Just tested again here with a CDJ-2000NXS2
I believe there is a setting you can change on CDJ utility menu to change that, but it's not the default behavior.

So since i can't find any information online about this feature on Pioneer players, i asked a few DJ colleagues on Discord and every one of them told me the exact opposite: That no CDJ or XDJ player, or controller with Rekordbox, has this cue-hold behaviour.
At first i was putting doubt on their claims, but now it seems like everyone else has a different opinion, so could you please post a link of where i can see this for myself? Any type of resource? I would really like to believe that it's true that the players have cue-hold, because then the `pioneer_cue` action is at least partially correct and doesn't 'need' to be changed.

Posted Mon 21 Dec 20 @ 7:14 pm
This 'issue' still exists, Pioneer controllers with VDJ still have a different behaviour than with Rekordbox or in Standalone.
This probably affects all DDJ and XDJ units, and it's an inconsistency.
The solution is simply to use `cue_button` for configurability, or remove the `cue-hold` behaviour from `pioneer_cue`.

Posted Mon 22 Mar 21 @ 11:35 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)