Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Use different Color FX on different decks

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I really love color FX (CFX) on my DDJ-1000, especially how you can use any normal effect with color FX in VDJ.
But one thing that bothers me about the concept is that i can't use different CFX on different decks (easily). On the DDJ-1000, if you have a CFX on one deck engaged (e.g. filter) and switch the CFX to a different one, like Noise, for the track you're mixing in, it will remove the filter CFX and switch to Noise with the same strength / level you used for the filter.
This makes sense and is probably the best and easiest solution, and you still got the normal Beat FX on the controller, but i noticed that you can actually use different CFX on any deck, because why shouldn't you be able to, right?
The problem with this, and i'm not talking about the DDJ-1000 specifically here, because lots of Pioneer controllers are designed this way, is that the CFX buttons are 'global' and you don't really have an easy way of assigning different effects to different decks, which is why it works as it does right now.

But what if there was a clever way of not switching a decks CFX if the CFX knob is not as 12 o' clock? I actually tried this out with some mapping changes, but ran into a bunch of problems where i couldn't switch a decks CFX anymore, or didn't have proper control. I think this could be realized by making the CFX knob check if it's 12 o' clock and then change it's decks CFX to whatever's stored in a global variable defining the target CFX effect.

What do you guys think? Is this something worth engineering some scripts for? Under what circumstances would it need to switch CFX? Would this be too complicated or even risky during a gig, or do you think this could be a feature that comes naturally? I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this!

Posted Fri 25 Sep 20 @ 4:41 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)