Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Really very slow database

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Is it just me and my computers, or are both my rigs with big music collection affected with crashing harddrives these days? Takes 5-10min to browse into big folders these days ... Hmm...

Posted Sat 27 Jun 20 @ 10:52 am

Do you have file date on as a column by any chance ?
(that is not part of the database and needs the OS to report that, for each and every file, and can be slower)

Alternatively external drive that falls asleep when not in use, and takes a few to wake up?

Posted Sat 27 Jun 20 @ 10:57 am
No, just default.

No disk is allowed to sleep, that is the first thing I disable when I install windows. But here it takes 5-10min just to enter a folder some times. Have no usb disk connected either.

Posted Sat 27 Jun 20 @ 11:03 am
How big is "big"?

Posted Sat 27 Jun 20 @ 11:04 am
groovindj wrote :
How big is "big"?

8 TB

Posted Sat 27 Jun 20 @ 11:08 am
RoninSaniShipibo wrote :
No, just default..

Its almost 150.000 files in that folder. Did you do a recurse since its show that many? (Aka parent folder, and all its subfolders..)

But if it takes 5 minutes to open, maybe your drive is starting to fail...
Try this, open same folder (wait a while first), with Windows Explorer. Is it equally slow to open up?

Posted Sat 27 Jun 20 @ 11:10 am
But I had to shut down one computer yesterday, and use my backup. And today my backup stopped browsing, I restarted after 10min, could not wait forever... Something is fed up but I dont know what yet.

Posted Sat 27 Jun 20 @ 11:11 am

Is it literally 10 minutes ? or you say "10 minutes" as an expression of being slow (taking longer than instant, a 10 seconds or something)

If its literally 10 minutes, then your drive might be starting to fail.
After PC has been idle for a while, try open same folder with Windows Explorer and see if its also very slow

Posted Sat 27 Jun 20 @ 11:13 am
Rune (dj-in-norway) wrote :
RoninSaniShipibo wrote :
No, just default..

Its almost 150.000 files in that folder. Did you do a recurse since its show that many? (Aka parent folder, and all its subfolders..)

But if it takes 5 minutes to open, maybe your drive is starting to fail...
Try this, open same folder (wait a while first), with Windows Explorer. Is it equally slow to open up?

What is a recurse? think I have some idea... but I have used this music collection for many many years. There is about 500.000 total, and the filter folder with subfolder takes usually 30 sec to load. But I never open complete music collection with filter folder any more. But yesterday it takes forever to just browse into regular folders. And it happened to both my main computer and my backup the same time. But now, it works again..... ripping my hair if this problem comes back.

Posted Sat 27 Jun 20 @ 11:20 am
I will check my disk after i have got a new one and cloned to. I just wanted to see if anyone else had big trouble with database and browsing now.

Edit: yes, 10min means 10min++ till i cant wait anymore and restart...

Posted Sat 27 Jun 20 @ 11:22 am
RoninSaniShipibo wrote :

Probably something with your computer then. Would check if its same in Windows Explorer (possibly corrupted drive allocation table, or drive starting to fail)

Posted Sat 27 Jun 20 @ 11:30 am
I assume you're using standard "old fashioned" mechanical hard drives. Maybe you should consider SSD.

Posted Sat 27 Jun 20 @ 11:32 am
RoninSaniShipibo wrote :

Probably something with your computer then. Would check if its same in Windows Explorer (possibly corrupted drive allocation table, or drive starting to fail)

That is driving me insane. I can list directories with windows atm(fast) but with virtual dj it suddenly takes forever. But suddenly I cant find a glimp now, all works like a charm. Loading 500.000 files with filter folder in like ~1min . I think its the heatwave in norway now... I will figure it out with some time.. . thanks a lot Rune. <3

Posted Sat 27 Jun 20 @ 11:47 am

During the time VirtuaDJ opens this 150.000 song folder, is there anything right above the browser (status field) saying anything?
Like "reading tag..." or any indication of something going on ?

Posted Sat 27 Jun 20 @ 11:50 am

During the time VirtuaDJ opens this 150.000 song folder, is there anything right above the browser (status field) saying anything?
Like "reading tag..." or any indication of something going on ?

No, its just saying "browsing"

Posted Sat 27 Jun 20 @ 11:54 am
could it be that bitrate column causing the issue i'm sure thats not default

Posted Sat 27 Jun 20 @ 4:52 pm
I dont think the bitrate is read live (like the date). That would be stored in the database when tracks are analysed.

Posted Sat 27 Jun 20 @ 4:54 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)