Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Focusrite 6i6 Setup

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

LFC PeteControlleristMember since 2020
Hi there.
I've recently set myself up with virtual dj home edition, and I'm having big problems trying to work out how to run an headphone monitor mix.
I tried following a Mark Warren youtube video yesterday, and I thought I'd finally sorted it, only for it to go pear shaped again.
I'm on a macbook pro, and my audio interface is a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.
I'm not a dj perse, I'm just a retired 62 year old, trying to start a new hobby, maybe go live now and then on social media, whatever.
Not into mixing etc, just want to play music full stop.
Just need to know how to monitor and set up the next track in my headphones.
Been trying for days now and getting nowhere, hence this plea.
Thanks in advance for any help you may have for me.
Regards
Pete

[MOD] I change the title of the thread, so hopefully more people may be able to chime in and offer some help.

Posted Mon 08 Jun 20 @ 2:26 pm
The problem is that the 6i6 (or similar devices that are not designed for DJ use) doesn't have a main output and a headphone output.

There's no way (on the hardware) to switch the headphone monitoring between the input signals.

You could use the 6i6 to output each VDJ deck separately to an external DJ mixer, and cue on the mixer.

You need to investigate the Focusrite software, to see if there's a mixer app that can configure where the signals go.

Posted Mon 08 Jun 20 @ 2:47 pm
I have a 4i4 Gen 3 and you need to install the focus rite software in order to change the headphone outs.

Posted Mon 08 Jun 20 @ 4:58 pm
So you could assign 1&2 to master, 3&4 to headphones, then set the headphone monitoring to just monitor 3&4?

Posted Mon 08 Jun 20 @ 5:01 pm
You could yes.

I have mine routed slightly oddly because it suits my setup. So VDJ outputs to the DDJ800 then the DDJ800 into inputs 3&4 on the 4i4.
My mic is routed directly into the 4i4. As I also use this for Zoom/Skype meetings etc.

So VDJ look like this:

Posted Mon 08 Jun 20 @ 5:02 pm
Thanks guy's.
Only just had chance to get back on here to reply.
I do have the focusrite software, but I have absolutely no idea about how to set it all up.
I was just hoping that someone else would have the same, or a similar set up, that could perhaps post a couple of screenshots for me to copy to mine.
What concerns me is that I did follow Mark Warren's tutorial yesterday, and I had it working for a short time.
But then for some reason, it all went pear shaped again.
I've tried the same thing 3 or 4 times now since then, to no avail.
Which makes me think that something may not be quite right somewhere.
I've come across another hiccup since I asked about this too lol.
I managed to work out how to create a talk over button on the old school type skin I've got on my set up, but for some reason, when I activated it, it had effects on it, and they are also on whatever track I play too.
I thought this was going to be an easy hobby lol.

Posted Mon 08 Jun 20 @ 9:44 pm
Ok. inside Virtual DJ, set your audio config as such:

Master - Soundcard=Focusrite - Chan 1&2
Headphones - Soundcard=Focusrite - Chan 3&4

Then in the focus rite software. Click Output routing at the top.
Then set your Monitor Outputs to Playback (Daw) 1&2

Set Line Output 3&4 to Playback (Daw) 3&4

Posted Mon 08 Jun 20 @ 10:51 pm
Thanks Dan
That doesn't like it does on my Scarlett mix control, but I'll have a look and see if I can sort it.
I've had virtual dj set like that from the start mate.
Exactly the same, it's the other part that's been the problem.
Thanks again

Posted Tue 09 Jun 20 @ 9:51 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)