Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: OS2L not working, when using timecode-controlled songs
Hey everybody,

first of all THX for your great product and the nearly unlimited use case it can adress.
I started to play around with OS2L and wrote a litte program, that receives the OS2L messages to control Phillips Hue Light-Stribes with it.
After some hours it worked great when using it on my desktop.
Then I went to my Controller and started my Hue-Bridge program there and found, that the beat stopped been send by VDJ when using a timecode vinyl instead using the plain controller.

My little program logs all received OS2L messages to the console. And it is clear: With timecode, there aren't beat messages anymore but commands using buttons come through still.

You can even have following scenario: Start without vinyl -> beat is there -> mix over to time code -> beat is gone -> mix back to first song -> beat is there again.

Is this a known bug?

Posted Mon 09 Mar 20 @ 10:54 am
Indeed, when you are "scratching" (ether with a jogwheel on a controller, or a mouse on the skin, or with a timecode), virtualdj doesn't send OS2L beat events.

Right now, anytime you're using timecode is considered scratching.
We might implement in the future some algorithm to be able to differentiate real scratching on the timecode from more-or-less-constant-speed timecode play, but for now it's not possible.

Posted Tue 10 Mar 20 @ 11:06 am
First of all thx for the fast reply. But I'm said to hear, that the behavior can be considered as "works as designed" and that there won't be an improvement in the near future.
I'm wondering a bit regarding the "scratching explanation, since the information about the absolute beatposition and the current bpm (it is displayed when using timecode-vinyl, too) seams to be available for the UI but not for OS2L protocol.
I think the artnet-plugin can send beats in any scenario with a lot more information then OS2L does currently, using plain VDJ script to describe events. Maybe I'll give that protocol a try.

Posted Tue 10 Mar 20 @ 8:26 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
The artnet-plugin(s) can only send any value you get with VDJScript directly to any specific DMX chanel
It is not an official plugin and still beta
Both OS2L and VDJArtNet/DMXArtNet can be use simultaneously as long as they do not share same Network port
Latest DMXArtNet builds can handle multiple universes and some math on values and unstable config tool is external

Posted Tue 10 Mar 20 @ 11:35 pm
This has been solved. OS2L is working with timecode-controiled songs, now.

Posted Wed 06 Oct 21 @ 12:55 pm