Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Zoom Scratch Wave in b 5186

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

GianVJPRO InfinityMember since 2012
Why in the build 5186 the Horizontal Scratch waveforn now work as Standard Wave form ?!
In my skin "GianB 4 Desck v4" I always use the Horizontal Scratch Wave under Video tab (4 decks mode) and with build 5186, when I zooming it (scrath wave), now it also zooming the top Standard wave: for me this not acceptable.
It work ok until b 5046: please, restore the previous functionality.

I notice that in VDJ options the value of Scratch Zoom in new build 5186 now are named "ScratchZoomVertical"; in all previous build are named only "ScratchZoom"
Why this change ?

Thank You.

Posted Sun 08 Sep 19 @ 8:39 am
You can see this change listed in the log:
Separate vertical and horizontal scratch wave zoom levels

You will need to update the XML code in your skin.

Posted Sun 08 Sep 19 @ 9:16 am
Maybe I don't explain enough how I use waveform:
1) At top of skin I set to visual Horizontal STANDARD waverform, with "large zoom" to view better the length of song (and see graphically when it's near end)
2) At middle of screen (under video output) I set to see Horizontal SCRATCH waveform, with closer waveform to see better beat wave

Together are HORIZONTAL Wave.

If I use the left-top slider (or mouse scroll slider on wave, on which I don't have any control in the script) to set zoom on top waveform Horizontal STANDARD waver form, now VDJ, with b 5186, resize also the middle Horizontal SCRATCH waveform and vice-versa.
This NOT happen with previous version and the new funziotnality, for me, it's a great problem.

Posted Sun 08 Sep 19 @ 12:16 pm
Well I cannot figure out how to show a horizontal scratch wave in the video tab of your skin, so I cannot check - but.....

From the wiki page here:

zoom : zoom rhythm visual
zoom_scratch : zoom scratch wave

They have different zoom commands.

Posted Sun 08 Sep 19 @ 12:41 pm
To reproduce issue, on my skin, you need to:
1) Set Skin to 4 deck mode
2) Select Video Tab
3) Check, in Skin Options:
- Waves
- Scratch Wave On Video Tab
4) Check, in Skin Options:
- Waves
- Default Wave: Left-Right Upside-Down

The command "zoom_scratch" I already used on my skin, but it zoom all Horizontal or Vertical wave.
Also, I still the problem with the scroll mouse button on wave, that are triggered by VDJ and it resize all wave (all Horizontal or all Vertical), but I need to seprate zooming also wave type not only wave direction.

Posted Sun 08 Sep 19 @ 1:19 pm
OK it seems there was an update to the skin - but it's still called v3 (that's confusing).

I now have the version that allows the horizontal scratch wave under the video window.

However, the problem is that the zoom_scratch command has been removed from VDJ. It's no longer listed in the program, but is still listed in the wiki.

So now it doesn't seem possible to zoom the scratch wave separately (because the command has gone). Maybe this is a mistake?

Posted Sun 08 Sep 19 @ 1:35 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
This change was intentional because changing the waveform type at the top should not affect the zoom, but having a different zoom for the vertical scratch wave from the horizontal can be useful.
This would indeed break a skin with 2 horizontal waveforms but I'm not sure what the best solution would be

Posted Sun 08 Sep 19 @ 2:31 pm
I understand why people would want/need to zoom in more on a scratch wave - but it shouldn't matter if that scratch wave is vertical or horizontal. It's still a scratch wave.

Orienting it vertically or horizontally is a personal preference, so having the scratch zoom only working on the vertical choice is wrong.

IMO bring back zoom_scratch to work on both vertical and horizontal scratch waves. Then you don't need zoom_vertical.

When I was looking at skin code earlier, it seems that many skins use the command "zoom & zoom_scratch" on the slider anyway, so those would still work, zooming both - but separate scratch zooming would still be possible (e.g. in the scratch mixer tab) by just using zoom_scratch.

Posted Sun 08 Sep 19 @ 3:01 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
What is the 'scratch' wave does not depend on the type of wave though.
Personally I don't think the v7-style rhythm wave is the most useful in identifying different parts of the song, so I use the top wave in scratch setting zoomed out to identify what's coming.
It didn't make much sense either that in the default skin this zoom was tied to the zoom of the waveform in the scratch panel, so now those can be zoomed independently, using the top wave for overview and the vertical wave on the scratch panel for scratch details

Posted Sun 08 Sep 19 @ 3:09 pm
My *personal* use of VDJ, from v7, was always with "Standard" wave form on top to see the end of songs and Tab Scratch Wave for beat.
But, for 2 years now, I mix only video, so I added the Scratch Wave under the tab video and now I can't use VDJ witout this configuration.... and i'm not only one.
Adion, your consideration may be valid for mixing only audio, but working with video doesn't solve the problem.
With previous version there's no problem, so the "damage" is not caused by end user, but the developer; I'm also software developer and the best practice to implement new feature are always to maintain the previous features and never delete someone.

There is no writing anywhere that you cannot have 2 or more wave forms, with the same direction, on a skin and if so it would be a big limit, for a program that claims to manage "n" decks.

For now I revert to previous version, because with this "new" functionality, for *ME*, VDJ are unusable.

Posted Sun 08 Sep 19 @ 5:49 pm
Is there a probability that in the new 2020 version the management of the WaveForm zoom will return to be independent of the same direction?

Posted Wed 25 Sep 19 @ 10:39 am
Anyone of Developer Team can answer the question ?
Thank You

Posted Thu 24 Oct 19 @ 4:35 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)