Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: New to VDj from Serato

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi Everyone,

I am fairly new to VDJ, I have tried over the years but never stayed, I have been a Serato user for about 5 years as that software came with my Numark NV.

I have a few questions that I have not been able to find within the search of the forums.

First off I used to be on Mac and now I have a windows Asus ROG Core I7-8850H, 16G DDR4, 256GB PCI-E NVMe SSD, 1tb Firecuda and 1tb Extrernal SSD in USB C drive, Nvidia 1060 Video card with 6GB DDR5 memory.

1-For some reason when I purchased VDJ and received the link to download the software, it seems to have installed in 32 bit as that is the application I see running in Task Manager. Is there a way to get the 64 Bit version.

2-I finally figured out how to slow down the waveforms and put one above the other and not overlapping but I am trying to find the numbered beatgrids option as I find that helps to count quickly how many bars till a certain spot in song. Is this possible in VDJ?

3- I did toy with the Serato DJ Pro skin but cannot see how to slow down the waveforms which I do not like going 100MPH. Is this possible?

4- in the Nvidia control panel I both forced VDJ to use Nvdia only and to have system use discrete graphics only, yet when i right click on an open video window I see Intel 630 Graphics as the option. Is it possible VDJ is not using the Nvdia graphics card?

This all I have so far...Trying to streamline the OS so that I do not have any failures at my gig on Sat which will be first time in 4 years I use something other than a mac and last time it did not go so well, a Dell business laptop kept crashing but that was with Serato.

Thank you in advance for your help
Kevin

Posted Tue 25 Jun 19 @ 6:22 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013

Posted Wed 26 Jun 19 @ 5:45 am
I hope you have scanned all your music into the database and scanned for bpms, etc. make sure you check all the music files you will be playing as well. You are running new software on a new platform, so make sure all your music is good. Make sure you have done any windows updates prior to your gig as well.

Posted Wed 26 Jun 19 @ 2:22 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Hello Kevin, welcome to VDJ.

CrazyTaz wrote :
1-For some reason when I purchased VDJ and received the link to download the software, it seems to have installed in 32 bit as that is the application I see running in Task Manager. Is there a way to get the 64 Bit version.

AFAIK they are still working on getting everything over to 64bit. It is a working version now, some plugins, skins and such may not work correctly. I still use the 32bit for every gig without performance issues. 64 of course has performance improvements, but 32 is very light weight and responsive with a low overhead.

CrazyTaz wrote :
4- in the Nvidia control panel I both forced VDJ to use Nvdia only and to have system use discrete graphics only, yet when i right click on an open video window I see Intel 630 Graphics as the option. Is it possible VDJ is not using the Nvdia graphics card?

Yes, the NVIDIA graphics work great. I assume you verified that VDJ is set to use the high performance card in the NVIDIA control panel 3D settings. I know it's easy to add the program and then tell it to use the Intel by mistake. Also, in VDJ, check Settings>Options>Video>videoDriver and see if it says NVIDIA (you can type video in the search).

Take some time to read the manual and watch tutorial videos linked in the settings. Also, take a look at the "My Library" addon in the "Others" section. It is very handy and helps you learn filters and folders to browse your library.

Hope this helps,

Max

Posted Wed 26 Jun 19 @ 3:55 pm
HI Everyone,

Thank you for the replies.

yes I have scanned all music and even took some time to practice for about an hour mixing last night. changed the effects to be the ones I want and understand the way the controls work.

I did specify virtual dj to use Nvidia card in nvidia control panel and also told Nvidia to always use it.
I will check the VDJ settings as well.

I have been watching quite a few videos to understand the Automix, the video editing. What I am hoping is that I will have a setup that will last around 5 years for karaoke and video gigs as well.

Thanks for your support and feedback
kevin

Posted Wed 26 Jun 19 @ 8:44 pm
blckjck wrote :

CrazyTaz wrote :

AFAIK they are still working on getting everything over to 64bit. It is a working version now, some plugins, skins and such may not work correctly. I still use the 32bit for every gig without performance issues. 64 of course has performance improvements, but 32 is very light weight and responsive with a low overhead.

CrazyTaz wrote :

Yes, the NVIDIA graphics work great. I assume you verified that VDJ is set to use the high performance card in the NVIDIA control panel 3D settings. I know it's easy to add the program and then tell it to use the Intel by mistake. Also, in VDJ, check Settings>Options>Video>videoDriver and see if it says NVIDIA (you can type video in the search).

Take some time to read the manual and watch tutorial videos linked in the settings. Also, take a look at the "My Library" addon in the "Others" section. It is very handy and helps you learn filters and folders to browse your library.

Hope this helps,

Max

So you would not use 64 bit at a gig, if just doing audio? I thought 64 bit would allow the software to better use the large resources my laptop has

Posted Wed 26 Jun 19 @ 8:47 pm
blckjck wrote :

CrazyTaz wrote :

CrazyTaz wrote :

Hope this helps,

Max

Yes the video driver is showing as the NVIDIA and the 6Gb of Video Memory. So maybe its a bug in the video window
but the videos look nice

Posted Wed 26 Jun 19 @ 8:48 pm
CrazyTaz wrote :

So you would not use 64 bit at a gig, if just doing audio?

Not much point, because playing an audio file (or two at once if you're mixing) isn't going to stress even the most basic CPU or need loads of RAM.

I still gig with an old Sony VAIO that runs audio on VDJ 8 with a Pioneer DDJ-RZ. I had to install Windows 8.1 on it to use the RZ driver but otherwise it's ancient.

Posted Wed 26 Jun 19 @ 9:34 pm
groovindj wrote :
CrazyTaz wrote :

So you would not use 64 bit at a gig, if just doing audio?

Not much point, because playing an audio file (or two at once if you're mixing) isn't going to stress even the most basic CPU or need loads of RAM.

I still gig with an old Sony VAIO that runs audio on VDJ 8 with a Pioneer DDJ-RZ. I had to install Windows 8.1 on it to use the RZ driver but otherwise it's ancient.

cool, thanks..

Does anyone know if we can get the waveforms to have a numbered count on them? that was a feature I liked.

Thanks in advance

Posted Wed 26 Jun 19 @ 11:14 pm
Numbered count is an option on some skins.
If I remember correctly SilverSleek #3 has an option to show them (among other things)
The default skin does NOT have such an option.
One of the good things in VirtualDJ is how users can tweak it's interface to include or exclude stuff they need /don't need.
Most modern skins made for VirtualDJ 8 /2018 have several options to show/hide stuff.
If you want something more close to factory looks, take a look at V8 but Fruit skin. If you want something that's not that much restrained to factory look take a look at SilveSleek #3. Finally if you want something that's more close to Serato (without being a copy of it's interface) take a look at Controller HD by Dennyo

In order to download skins, open settings, click on the ADD-ONS icon on the left, and use the search bar on top. The rest is pretty much self explanatory.
PS: All 3 skins mentioned above have loads of customization options. Take your time to investigate these options as the "default" look may not be exactly what you want, but after changing an option or two to become the ideal skin for your needs!

Posted Thu 27 Jun 19 @ 11:50 am
There are also easy to use skin building tools by djdad that allow you to make your own skin.

Posted Thu 27 Jun 19 @ 12:06 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Numbered count is an option on some skins.
If I remember correctly SilverSleek #3 has an option to show them (among other things)
The default skin does NOT have such an option.
One of the good things in VirtualDJ is how users can tweak it's interface to include or exclude stuff they need /don't need.
Most modern skins made for VirtualDJ 8 /2018 have several options to show/hide stuff.
If you want something more close to factory looks, take a look at V8 but Fruit skin. If you want something that's not that much restrained to factory look take a look at SilveSleek #3. Finally if you want something that's more close to Serato (without being a copy of it's interface) take a look at Controller HD by Dennyo

In order to download skins, open settings, click on the ADD-ONS icon on the left, and use the search bar on top. The rest is pretty much self explanatory.
PS: All 3 skins mentioned above have loads of customization options. Take your time to investigate these options as the "default" look may not be exactly what you want, but after changing an option or two to become the ideal skin for your needs!

Thank you, I will take a look at these.

Posted Thu 27 Jun 19 @ 2:05 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)