Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: IMPROVE THE AUTOGAIN

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DESPITE USING AUTOGAIN , OFTEN THERE ARE MANY DIFFERENCES IN VOLUME BETWEEN TRACKS DURING MIXING SO MANUAL ADJUSTMENT IS REQUIRED. THIS IS SPECIALLY IMPRACTICAL DURING THE USE OF AUTOMIX.

Posted Tue 08 Jan 19 @ 10:59 am
There is nothing wrong with the autogain. This was explained to you in the other thread you started. If the tracks have been scanned by VDJ then there should be no issue.

You may be using poor quality files with bad compression, but for me and everybody else it's working fine.

Posted Tue 08 Jan 19 @ 11:00 am
I CONSIDER VDJ AN EXCELLENT SOFTWARE . I STRONGLY BELIEVE THAT TECHNOLOGY CAN HELP SOLVE ISSUES LIKE THIS. IF CANNOT BE DONE THEN FAIR ENOUGH. BUT IF WE CANNOT PRESENT ISSUES LIKE THIS , ITS NO POINT HAVING A "WISHES AND NEW FEATURES FORUM". AT THE BOTTOM LINE, FIXING AUTOMIX MANUALLY STOPS BEING AN AUTOMIX. THE FILES I USE ARE 320 AND FLAC

Posted Tue 08 Jan 19 @ 11:15 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Do you have specific examples of songs that don't properly match?

Also, no need to yell all the time.

Posted Tue 08 Jan 19 @ 11:21 am
STAYING ALIVE RIPPED FROM GREATEST HITS ALBUM - VS - STAYING ALIVE BOUGHT FROM GOOGLE PLAY FROM SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER ALBUM. BOTH 320. AND WHY YOU ARE SAYING I AM YELLING ALL THE TIME?

Posted Tue 08 Jan 19 @ 11:37 am
Also not sure I understand correctly, but why are you mixing from one version of the same song to another?

Posted Tue 08 Jan 19 @ 11:43 am
The reason i was writing in capital letters was simply for practical reasons (writing English with Greek keyboard) and not for expressing anger or aggresivenes. I wasn't aware that it could be perceived offensive or impolite . My apologies

Posted Tue 08 Jan 19 @ 11:51 am
Using the track from BeeGees Greatest Hits CD, there was always very low gain during mixings (maybe it was recorded like this because other tracks in the same album have the same problem) and the autogain could not match it to any other track. So i bought the same track from google play from another album and is fine. This also happens when i mix old tracks with new ones . I understand that old recordings are not so compressed like the new ones but i hoped technology could improve that.

Posted Tue 08 Jan 19 @ 12:04 pm
To some extent autogain will indeed correct this, but there may indeed still be differences. Will see if I can find these versions to compare why they don't get the same volume.

Posted Tue 08 Jan 19 @ 1:38 pm
As I already explained in your other thread here, the problem is not caused by gain (volume). It's caused by the differences in dynamic range between old and new music.

New music has less dynamic range, so seems "louder" when compared to old music (which has more "quiet bits" because it's not so compressed).

Did you research it as I suggested? That way you can see (from waveform comparisons) the difference.

Posted Tue 08 Jan 19 @ 5:37 pm
Thanks.

Posted Tue 08 Jan 19 @ 6:45 pm

Posted Tue 08 Jan 19 @ 6:55 pm
He's also talking about two masterings of the same song though. Also compression should to some extent also be leveled by autogain

Posted Tue 08 Jan 19 @ 7:01 pm
Yes, two versions of the same track can vary tremendously, depending on where they came from.

If you check some of the articles online about loudness wars, you can see examples of how the exact same track has been altered over the years.

It's almost impossible to re-introduce dynamic range into an overly "maximized" track, but (as I said in his previous thread) you can use the same tools as the people who remaster this way, to "maximize" an old track to sound closer to a modern one in volume.

Posted Tue 08 Jan 19 @ 7:07 pm
You can indeed not recover the dynamic range, but you can play the more compressed song at a lower volume so that the average loudness sounds similar

Posted Tue 08 Jan 19 @ 7:28 pm
thats why in my initial thread i was talking about ""autovolume"" and not autogain. In simple terms to adjust the sound i use the ""master volume ""and not the ""gain"" because i was with the impression (maybe wrongly) that gain is for loudness and master volume for volume and that they are not the same thing.

Posted Wed 09 Jan 19 @ 8:56 am
user14454062 wrote :
thats why in my initial thread i was talking about ""autovolume"" and not autogain. In simple terms to adjust the sound i use the ""master volume ""and not the ""gain"" because i was with the impression (maybe wrongly) that gain is for loudness and master volume for volume and that they are not the same thing.

Gain is normally for adjusting the sound input going into the channel - so that is to adjust for differences in the tracks volumes
The deck volume is then the sound output going out from the channel - usually used for mixing

So for what you are describing gain is the correct place, and auto gain is the correct feature (that you then would like to see somehow improved - I'll not go into that discussion)

Posted Wed 09 Jan 19 @ 10:03 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)