Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: DJ Tech Tools review - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Posted Tue 13 Nov 18 @ 1:27 pm
As a user of VDJ since version 5 and a Traktor user since scratch pro 2 the only areas where Traktor is better is remix decks, which is a major feature no one has matched. And traktors effects blows VDJ away. Also traktors autogain and limiter....vdj is no competition. VDJ is leaps better dealing with controllers and skins. VDJ script is unmatched.

Posted Wed 14 Nov 18 @ 4:46 am
I love VDJ but I still feel that Serato's time code and DVS functionality is a lot better. And dont get me started on Rekordbox. lol Horrible! But VDJ is definitely the most stable out of all of them in my opinion.

Posted Wed 14 Nov 18 @ 1:20 pm
I am giving VDJ another look since the last time I took it for a spin in 2012. DVS wise, what are the inferior points compared to Serato (which is my core program right now).

Posted Wed 14 Nov 18 @ 4:24 pm
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
traktors effects blows VDJ away

Oh here we go again! I've lost count of the times someone's posted claims like this, and the replies always say something like:

With VDJ we have unlimited efffects. Not only are there the onboard ones, but there are loads of FX addons available here, plus probably millions of VST effects - ranging from free ones to world class studio standard VSTs as used by the best producers on the planet. They can cost more than VDJ itself.

Not to mention that VDJ can also run VSTi (instrument) plugins.

With poor old Traktor and most other DJ software, you're stuck with the handful of FX they provide - and that's it.

Personally, I'd rather use a unique selection of effect plugins that I've chosen myself, than the same few built-in ones that everyone else with that s/w is using.

Posted Wed 14 Nov 18 @ 6:01 pm
ParisCreative wrote :
I am giving VDJ another look since the last time I took it for a spin in 2012. DVS wise, what are the inferior points compared to Serato (which is my core program right now).

That’s hard to answer and I know you from the Serato forums and your what I would call a “power” user.

I think for the most part you will get the hang of how VDJ works and you will be able to duplicate everything SDJ does plus more.

It’s just the whole work flow thing you’ll have to overcome I think.

Feel free to hit me up if you need help, and if I can’t answer you there’s a bunch of good guys here who will be able to give you answers.

I’ll assume your on a Mac?

Posted Wed 14 Nov 18 @ 7:37 pm
groovindj wrote :
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
traktors effects blows VDJ away

Oh here we go again! I've lost count of the times someone's posted claims like this, and the replies always say something like:

With VDJ we have unlimited efffects. Not only are there the onboard ones, but there are loads of FX addons available here, plus probably millions of VST effects - ranging from free ones to world class studio standard VSTs as used by the best producers on the planet. They can cost more than VDJ itself.

Not to mention that VDJ can also run VSTi (instrument) plugins.

With poor old Traktor and most other DJ software, you're stuck with the handful of FX they provide - and that's it.

Personally, I'd rather use a unique selection of effect plugins that I've chosen myself, than the same few built-in ones that everyone else with that s/w is using.

I hate this answer, bunch of words that say nothing. Those core effects are you need. I've been around a lot of DJs and what I've noticed DJs use very little effects. Most I've seen so echo, delay, flanger and beatgrid, vdj does have a better beatgrid effect, some might use more but on average those are what I see. So my judgement is based on how traktor handles echo delay and flange. All better than VDJ especially echo and delay. Though I own both. Vdj is my main software because traktor doesn't handle the jogs on my vci400 which I use on gigs. I use vdj with dvs because its better with my Voxoa m70. But occasionally i fire up tracktor just to keep it updated. But echo in traktor is better because it's true post fader. Delay is true post fader. Flanger is even better when its done in post fader. VDJ is pseudo post fader. Which makes it's deal, echo and flange better by leaps and bounds. Trktors sound engine is leaps and bounds better than VDJ. To match the gain and limiting power of traktor I have to use breakawaydj in VDJ. Virtual Dj is a great powerful software but it lacks certain simple things that serato and traktor does the correct way. And vsts and vsti doesn't negate the fact that the echo and delay, the most used effects, are done horribly.

Posted Thu 15 Nov 18 @ 4:45 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
How is vdj's echo not 'true post-fader' ?
I don't think traktor's echo is better than vdj's.

Posted Thu 15 Nov 18 @ 6:06 am
RanikiPRO InfinityMember since 2018
Great to have a detailed article that does VDJ justice rather than the usual opinionated nonsense with no substance. (You know - "VDJ is rubbish because..... because.... ummmm..... because obviously it is 'cos I don't like the name" ;-) )

Re. VDJ effects - is there a skin in which there is an effects overview page similar to the 'effects page' that used to be available in VDj 7?

For me the effects implementation is the one area of VDj that I find a bit clunky. Both in terms of native effects available (and yes, I know that there are the downloadable addons + vsts - but that almost gives a bewildering choice!) and also in terms of the interface for effects.

Having either the basic effects section or the facility for individual effects windows is good but can also be a bit messy if one is chaining effects. Would be great to have that old intermediary where you could see exactly what effects were active for which deck and also quickly shift to the detailed individual effect controls simply by selecting it rather than having to have multiple mini windows open - for each effect and each deck that effect is active on.

Maybe just personal but that's the way it seems to me in an otherwise superb product.

Posted Thu 15 Nov 18 @ 7:58 am
ParisCreative wrote :

Serato just has tighter control and feels better when using it on turntables versus VDJ. But don't get me wrong...VDJ is still great to use with time code. Serato just works right out of the box. With VDJ, you have to mess with a lot of settings to make it work really well with DVS. Sticker drift was a major complaint but they have worked to improve it and make it better. I would absolutely LOVE to see someone using VDJ at a Redbull 3style but 99% of people use Serato because of how well it performs in battle and high use situations. Plus, a very large percentage of VDJ users are controller users. Those of us that use DVS are the minority, where with Serato, it's the opposite.

Posted Thu 15 Nov 18 @ 1:24 pm
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
All better than VDJ

I think you meant to say "All better than VDJ's default FX"? So what? Like I said, you're not stuck with those. Use better ones. We have the choice. Traktor users don't.

BTW you could also use your own choice of limiter on VDJ's output if you wanted. The sky's the, er.....limit. For example, you could use a $550 16-band peak limiter / level maximizer VST plugin. Can Traktor do that?

Posted Thu 15 Nov 18 @ 6:53 pm
Adion wrote :
How is vdj's echo not 'true post-fader' ?
I don't think traktor's echo is better than vdj's.

Wish I had a webcam I would show you. Actually the echoout, when wanting a punch in type echo, is better than echo. The loopout effect is better when wanting a postfader echoout. Speaking on the sound of the echo.
Like one extra parameter could improve the echo effect an echo volume level, leaving strength level to act like a feedback amount only. Because right now to raise the volume of the echo you also extend the amount of echoes. Those should be separate parameters. Even better add a delay parameter to color the echo if you want to.
Look at examples from pro tools, Cubase, a tape echo vst, an old echo chamber. Actually if done properly the delay effect could also do the echo functions.

Posted Thu 15 Nov 18 @ 8:31 pm
groovindj wrote :
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
All better than VDJ

I think you meant to say "All better than VDJ's default FX"? So what? Like I said, you're not stuck with those. Use better ones. We have the choice. Traktor users don't.

BTW you could also use your own choice of limiter on VDJ's output if you wanted. The sky's the, er.....limit. For example, you could use a $550 16-band peak limiter / level maximizer VST plugin. Can Traktor do that?

Yes im comparing default plugins not workarounds or buy this buy that, to get the same result. Why is it hard to accept a critic? I would think people would want a true none bias comment. Well I will say it loud. VDJ IS A POWERFUL SOFTWARE, MUCH BETTER OS MANY WAYS TO OTHER SOFTWARE. AND STILL WITH ALL THAT THERE ARE SMALL THING THAT SHOULD BE RETHOUGHT ABOUT.
Autogain and the echo effect being the ones I notice the most. But VDJ is still my most used. And those shortcomings doesn't stop me from using it.

Posted Thu 15 Nov 18 @ 8:41 pm
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
workarounds

Being able to use your own choice of plugin rather than whatever comes bundled is not a workaround. It's a feature that hugely improves VDJ over the competition.

My car came with an awful stock CD/radio. I didn't complain to the manufacturer about how other cars have better CD/radios.

I ripped it out and fitted a better one, because I wasn't stuck with what they provided. I had the option of changing it.

Posted Fri 16 Nov 18 @ 8:52 pm
ScooxHome userMember since 2018
I've been a devout Traktor 2 user for the past 5 or so years and I'm on the fence between VDJ and the brand-new Traktor 3. I don't use all-in-one controllers, instead I use two Novation Launchpad S and two DJTT Midi Fighter Twisters, which gives me a modular and highly portable set-up that fits in any backpack.

Here are my thoughts:

Traktor 3 pros:
+ Cheaper! 99 USD for new users, 49 USD for registered Traktor 2 users, vs 299 USD for equivalent VDJ license.
+ Most frequently used FX (delay, reverb, phaser, etc) sound very good
+ All FX use the same number of knobs and buttons which means any FX can fit an existing mapping
+ UI easier on the eyes than VDJ's default skin.

Traktor 3 cons:
- No vinyl speed adjust controls like Pioneer CDJ or VirtualDJ (play/pause is basically instant)
- No VST FX support, limited to included FX (although the bread-and-butter ones are pretty decent)
- Complex controller mappings to extremely tedious to craft using built-in mappings editor
- Rigid beatgrid which sucks for mixing tracks with variable BPM
- To delete hotcue using the GUI controls you must jump to it first, in VDJ you simply right-click it which is perfect.
- Mapping "invisible" cue points is cumbersome, whereas VDJ implements "POIs" that are vastly superior.

I don't want to sound biased because VDJ has so much good stuff going for it, but here I'm just focusing on the things that IMO Traktor can do that VDJ can't, and the things that I wish Traktor could do that VDJ can.

Obviously, there are many other things Traktor can't do that VDJ can, but those are not essential to my needs so I'm not listing them.

Posted Mon 19 Nov 18 @ 10:33 am
Scoox wrote :

Traktor 3 pros:
+ Cheaper! 99 USD for new users, 49 USD for registered Traktor 2 users, vs 299 USD for equivalent VDJ license.

Which you only pay once!
VirtualDJ does not charge for updates, even between different versions
In fact there are users that bought VirtualDJ 5 and they now have VirtualDJ 2018 without paying a single extra $ :)
Also, there are no such things as "expansion packs"
All new features are automatically included in latest version for free. So, you don't need to purchase DVS add-on, Extra FX add-on, Better Master Tempo add-on e.t.c.
(That's more against Serato and Rekordbox logic, but still it's a major difference on pricing policy for not to be mentioned)

Posted Mon 19 Nov 18 @ 10:50 am
ScooxHome userMember since 2018
True but, if I buy Traktor and a few months later I decide I don't like it, the misfire will cost me 49 bucks, whereas the same misfire with VDJ would cost me 299 USD. I don't deny the fact that lifetime upgrades for 299 USD is a good deal, I'm merely saying 49 < 299 which unfortunately will put some people off especially people who are just getting into DJing.

Posted Mon 19 Nov 18 @ 4:16 pm
I bought VDJ in 2008 and have done well over 1000 gigs with it since.

I personally feel that if you are a person who swaps gear every few months because you get bored with it or it's not trendy any more then maybe the investment isn't for you.

For someone like me who is after stable, well supported software then VDJ can't be beaten.

Some of the built in FX aren't as good as others (long standing issue), some say the time code isn't the tightest and the remote app is seriously lacking support, but apart from that VDJ does everything I need and more. I work video gigs flawlessly, I can change skins and mappings to suit my individual needs and change the software to suit all different scenarios and hardware.

From friends who use Traktor, apparently it does crash regularly and the support is "distant". VDJ software reports any crashes back to the dev team automatically (I have probably had one or two mucking about but never at a gig). Above that I can also message the dev team and things are sorted instantly. that's where VDJ shines well above the competition.

For me it's probably been the best piece of tech I have ever used.

Posted Mon 19 Nov 18 @ 4:23 pm
groovindj wrote :
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
workarounds

Being able to use your own choice of plugin rather than whatever comes bundled is not a workaround. It's a feature that hugely improves VDJ over the competition.

My car came with an awful stock CD/radio. I didn't complain to the manufacturer about how other cars have better CD/radios.

I ripped it out and fitted a better one, because I wasn't stuck with what they provided. I had the option of changing it.

Another nonsubstance response, this is not a car. With a car, the manufacturer doesn't have the ability to rewrite a car to improve the radio. This is software that has the ability to change and improve every aspect of the product. but even with a vst the effect doesn't work postfader, none of them do. Not a reason for me not to use the software. But I will voice my opinion. Maybe someone will take notice and understand, but it seems everyone is always on the defensive. WHat are the forums for anyway...to suck up and never say anything that could be better. Hell, most of our comments are to help make it better.
So the fact is the effect section can take some upgrading.

Posted Mon 19 Nov 18 @ 5:08 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
...but even with a vst the effect doesn't work postfader, none of them do

It doesn't matter if the plugin is a vst, native dsp effect or vdj installed dsp effect, if fxProcessing is set to post then it works postfader.
Just checked with TAL-Reverb4, and it the reverb tail continues after closing the fader.

Posted Mon 19 Nov 18 @ 6:38 pm
65%