Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Beat Count Reset

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

FigDj1PRO InfinityMember since 2017
Hi everyone.
1st my apologies for what it may seem as a dumb question. In my defense I am "full speed ahead" switching to VDJ from another software package and I am absorbing tons of information. Nevertheless, I am not new to Dj (25+ years)
So I don't need the beat counter, or the phase counter or waveforms. Back in the old days it was all counting and writing the bpm on the center label of the vinyl or the record sleeve. However, I am very meticulous about beatgriding.

When I am beatgriding (perhaps I don't know all the functions of the BPM editor). I got a track that starts well defined with good mixing In intros. Then it gets into double BPM and other chorus and at the end of the phrase the is a small pause with 2 extra beats. The it start over with standard phrases.

I can place an anchor and make it the 1st beat on the bar. Then the phase counter 1234 12 1234
that is the end of the phrase, the 2 extra beat and then goes regular. However, the beat counter if set to 16 beat count continue like nothing changed.

We all know about this

1,2,3,4,__5,6,7,8,__9,10,11,12,__13,14,15,16 for the beat counter
1,2,3,4,__1,2,3,4,__1,,,2,,,3,,,4,__,,1,,,2,,,3,,,4 for the phase counter

with the 2 extra beats it goes goes like this
1,2,3,4,__5,6,7,8,__9,10,11,12,__13,14,15,16__1,2,__3,4,5,6,__7,8,9,10,__11,12,13,14,__5,16,1,2 for the beat counter
1,2,3,4,__1,2,3,4,__1,,,2,,,3,,,4,__,,1,,,2,,,3,,,4__1,2,__1,2,3,4,__1,2,3,,,4,__,,,1,,2,,,3,,,4,__1,,,2,3,4 for the phase counter

So the question is. Is there a way to re-start or re-set to 1 the beat counter in the middle of the track so it will match the true phrasing of the track?
I hope I explained properly enough and again my apologies if this has been covered 1000 times. I did put a good effort searching topic about it.

Posted Fri 24 Aug 18 @ 7:06 pm
I see that there are no responses to my question. Should I post the question in a different section of the forum? Please advise.

Posted Tue 28 Aug 18 @ 10:47 am
No, you should not post in a different forum, as we close duplicate post. To be honest, I have been DJing for 51 years, and don't have an answer for you. This obviously means something to you, but has no meaning to me. I don't see how this would affect your performance, and think you may be over thinking this. However, I don't know everything, so you should wait until someone has an answer for you. There are a lot of smart people here, and maybe they just have not gotten around to your question.

Posted Wed 29 Aug 18 @ 4:42 am
A Man and His Music wrote :
No, you should not post in a different forum, as we close duplicate post.
Thank you for responding.

A Man and His Music wrote :
To be honest, I have been DJing for 51 years, and don't have an answer for you. This obviously means something to you, but has no meaning to me. I don't see how this would affect your performance, and think you may be over thinking this.

I hear you and have been mixing for quite some time myself. It is not something that would affect my performance but more of a distraction from what I am doing in my head.

I am always counting beats not only for bars 1,2,3,4.... but also for phrasing 1...16 and so on.

On the majority of tracks it all works well but on those few that the artist have taken "artistic liberties" by adding or shorting beats to a phrase then on the next phrase the phase counter is still counting correctly within the bar set by me using the BPM editor. However, the beat counter (when set to count 1..16) is off.

As I am counting the phrase beats in my head looking at the beat counter have a different count than what I am expecting within the phrase becomes a distraction to me.

Posted Wed 29 Aug 18 @ 2:19 pm
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
I thought this question was interesting from a theoretical perspective but for me the practicality is low.

I think it’s as important now as ever to know your music well. Those songs with extra or dropped beats, or strange phrasing, should be well-known and mixed by ear (or use the waveform if inclined).

Galvanize by Chemical Brothers for example with its six-beat bars or It’s a Sin by PSB with nine-bar phrasing. There are of course many other examples which will throw off the counter.

Posted Wed 29 Aug 18 @ 4:33 pm
If (as you say) you don't need the beat counter or the phase counter, then why is it an issue?

If a particular track has a strange bar count, then there's no way a computer is going to know. It's not "listening" to the track to that extent. It can work out the BPM and the key (neither flawlessly) but to expect it to realise there's a bar missing (etc)?

Posted Wed 29 Aug 18 @ 4:37 pm
groovindj wrote :
If (as you say) you don't need the beat counter or the phase counter, then why is it an issue?

If a particular track has a strange bar count, then there's no way a computer is going to know. It's not "listening" to the track to that extent. It can work out the BPM and the key (neither flawlessly) but to expect it to realise there's a bar missing (etc)?

I can mix without the counter. I started with turntables and I do know my music. I just thought that it would be something editable in the BPM Editor. Just like for a bar you can specify that is the 1st of four when you place an anchor I thought there would be a way to set the beat counter count to whatever it would be correct for the particular track.

In my case last resort is to modify the skin to get rid of the beat counter but I was looking for a way to make correct rather than delete it from the skin.

Posted Wed 29 Aug 18 @ 6:12 pm

Posted Wed 29 Aug 18 @ 7:00 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Currently it is indeed only possible to set a 1 of 4 marker, not a 1 of 16 marker.
(So the phrase counter will actually go 1,2 ... 5, 6, 7, 8 since it will still align on 4 beats)

Posted Thu 30 Aug 18 @ 6:02 am
Mean there give a VDJ 8 /2018 Skin here in Database with a on/off and changeable 4/8 Barcounter.

For VDJ 7 i have seen for longer time a thread there was a picture from a Skin with Beat,Bar and Phrasing.

Mean was from DJ Dad oder PhantomDJ,but i cant find it more.

Sorry for my not so good English

Posted Mon 18 Mar 19 @ 12:18 pm

Posted Tue 19 Mar 19 @ 5:36 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)