Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: A couple of issues at the weekend, 1 solved (hopefully).

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Issue 1.

Friday's wedding. It was a very hot night (which may have been a factor). Half an hour after starting the dancing, using VirtualDJ 2018 Public build b4444, the sound started crackling badly until it was only crackling and no music (with a full dancefloor). Turned up the volume on my SD Card backing system (which is always running) and apologised on the microphone blaming my new Pioneer DDJ-1000. Then realised the microphone was crystal clear. I thought maybe it was VirtualDJ 2018, so, shut it down and started up VirtualDJ 8.2, b4291. I had to check every song in the headphones just to be sure it was coming through clean. Throughout the rest of the night, I noticed songs were loading slower than normal. On the odd occasion, when loading a song on the opposite deck, the playing song paused for maybe half a second, this was why I thought it may have been a heat issue. But, I run Macs Fan Control and the processor core temperature displayed on the menu bar was the same as at the previous week's Prom at 75°C.

On Saturday morning I was about to dismantle my Mac to check and maybe reseat the memory cards then remembered one the regular posts I see on here about low quality USB cables. The cable I had been using was new and supplied with the Pioneer DDJ-1000. I still have my Denon MC6000 MkII in it's flight case complete with the USB cable I've used for over 7 years. The Denon was also supplied with a low quality USB cable and I had to switch to the 7 year old cable. I replaced the DDJ-1000 cable with the 7 year old USB cable and everything worked fine at my Saturday wedding. I noticed that loading songs were noticeably quicker than on Friday, dunno whether that had anything to do with the USB cable or not.

Why do manufacturers supply rubbish cables with their controllers? Gonna order a few high quality cables, any UK recommendations?

Issue 2.

On Saturday's wedding I tried, for the second time only, to use Ask The DJ with the #hashtag system. I was using VDJ 8.2 b4291 due to the above issue 1 (I was still nervous about using VDJ 2018). I did receive one request and had forgotten about right clicking and just dragged and dropped it in the search bar and VDJ completely froze, the music carried on. Could it have been the # symbol that caused the freeze? At the end of the song I had to temporarily run my SD Card backing system while I shut down and restarted VDJ. After restarting, the # message reappeared in the Ask The DJ folder. Everything was fine after that.

To say it was a stressful weekend would be an understatement.

Posted Sun 01 Jul 18 @ 11:12 pm
The sound problem I would say was heat related, as I've had exactly the same symptoms - albeit many years ago. I then bought myself a laptop cooling stand (those things with a fan underneath). When it's this hot though, I'd personally try and avoid using a laptop if at all possible.

Posted Mon 02 Jul 18 @ 5:10 pm
Yeh, I did think at the time it may be heat related. The laptop has always lived on an Akansa cooling plate that has 2 fans blowing on the underneath. However, as it is an Apple Mac, the fans intake and output is on the hinge. The bottom is solid so the fans blowing on the outer case probably have a minimal effect. The internal core temperature seemed the same as usual running at 74-75°C, so, not sure.

Posted Mon 02 Jul 18 @ 6:07 pm
What you have to think about is the ambient temperature. Obviously the CPU needs cool air coming in to replace the hot air being expelled, and if there is no cool air (in this heat?!) then.......Houston we have a problem.

Any fans aren't genuinely going to provide cool air, just move the hot stuff around.

Posted Mon 02 Jul 18 @ 6:15 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
"In this heat" and the rest of the world says "hang in there poms/limeys" XD

Posted Mon 02 Jul 18 @ 7:12 pm
I'm alright, I've got my trusty B&Q Airforce portable (hah!) air conditioner on. :-)

Posted Mon 02 Jul 18 @ 7:20 pm
For Friday & Saturdays gigs, I bought one of these from Argos;

The reported core temperature's from Macs Fan Control dropped from 74-75°C to 68-70°C and the Mac outer case was notably cooler.

I also changed the USB cable and loading tunes into the players appeared to be much quicker.

Posted Sun 08 Jul 18 @ 10:59 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)