Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: American Audio VMS5 - Line in & Phono Audio Set up

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

ph5ph5Home userMember since 2011
I know there's probably a really easy solution, but having spent a bit of time fiddling about without success, I've come to the forum for help !

I have an American Audio VMS5, with my Technics SL-1210 MK2 Turntable plugged into Channel 3 (the ground connection has been professionally removed), with the switch on the back set to Phono. This plays fine through the controller when the Channel 3 switch on the front is set to Analog, and the Audio Switch is set to either 4 in/out or 8 in/out.

What I want to do is have it play through the VDJ8 software, therefore using the effects. I've tried to set up the audio settings in VDJ8 using the linein, set deck 2 to AUX, changed the Channel 3 switch on the front to USB. But I'm obviously doing something wrong as I can get no sound through the controller.

Posted Tue 27 Feb 18 @ 7:49 am

Here's a pic of my current settings.

Posted Tue 27 Feb 18 @ 7:53 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Unfortunately, when the unit is set to 8out mode (to get 4 Decks), there is no MidiLog Input available. If you want USB Audio inputs (for timecodes or Line Ins), you need to set the unit to 4out mode, but you ll only be getting 2 Midilogs controlling left/right VirtualDJ decks.
If you are OK with this, then set it to 4out (you need to power-cycle the unit after the selection) and then add a linein (not linein 2) in your audio Setup with the Chans 1,2 or 3,4 depending on where its connected and then use a button mapped as linein to route the Input to a VDJ deck.
BTW, your Audio setup should only have the linein line. in 4out mode, only 2 Inputs are available, so no mic or record lines will work.
In 4out mode, deck 1 needs to be routed to Chans 1,2 and deck 2 needs to be routed to Chans 3,4. Chans 5,6 and 7,8 are not available in 4out mode. Your Audio Setup should look similar to the Timecode one as shown here https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/americanaudio/vms5/advanced/timecode.html with the difference that you need linein instead of timecode in the inputs.

Posted Tue 27 Feb 18 @ 8:29 am
Thanks very much that works a treat !

're your comments on mix and record, and ignoring running the turntable through VDJ, are these correct for 8 out mode on the controller (so record a mix using digital files only and a mic) via VDJ record facility ?

A 2nd question, if I used Audacity to record, could I then use 4out mode ? And would the audio set up be correct as per the picture (changing linein to 3&4) ?

Posted Tue 27 Feb 18 @ 12:22 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
In 8out mode, the USB Audio interface seems to offer a Master Rec Input (Chans 1,2) which in theory can be used to record your mix (in mp3 etc) via VirtualDJ , with adding a record line at Chans 1,2 in the Audio setup.
In 4out mode, there is no such an input, so definitely you need to send the Master Output signal of the VMS to a sound card input.
You don't have to use Audacity for that. If you route the Master Output of the VMS to e.g. the Line Input of your computer's built-in sound card you could then keep the record line in the VDJ Audio setup and select the Built-in sound card and Chans 1,2 for it.
To route the Master Output signal to an Input, you will need either a RCA Spliter cable or use the Booth Output

Posted Tue 27 Feb 18 @ 1:27 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)