Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Changing screen resolution wipes out ONINIT effects settings.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Greetings,

I had a horrible problem last night (again). I use ONINIT to load 5 effects on each deck, for a total of 10 effects displayed. The skin looks good and quite fun to use.

I spent a lot of time to select effects in the proper order... in order to make a duplicate view of deck1 and deck 2. Quite nice. But NO time during a gig to figure that all out.

Here is what happened. I started by playing a long mix to get sound going. Then I started futzing with the connection to the bar's video system. It didn't work on boot-up.

The PC discovers the video converter running off the laptop's VGA port. Then POOF the all my effects disappear on the VDJ skin.

I didn't want to rebuild the 10 effects because that's a pain. So I went to backup sound and re-launched VDJ.

Tonight I reproduced the problem. If I change the resolution of the display, and go back to what I normally have it set as, the problem appears. So the problem is not the VGA converter, but a Windows Display issue. And to restore I have to re-launch VDJ.

Reproduce it yourself. Load some effects (via ONINIT as best way) And change your screen's resolution to the next lower one. Hit APPLY. You'll see all your EFFECTS disappear. And they don't come back when you go back to your original settings.

So my question is can I somehow force the ONINIT string to restore my effects? Please Atomix check this out?

Regards,

Jimmy L.

Posted Mon 25 Sep 17 @ 6:34 am
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
It could be a driver problem if you use win 10 since on my laptop it updated the graphics driver resulting in a failure to set up multiple resolutions from a vga powered signal splitter. Getting the earlier Intel driver version sorted out my problem. Your problem is different but this might help.

Posted Mon 25 Sep 17 @ 8:28 am
First of all where's your INIT command set at ?
Keyboard mapper ?
Controller mapper ?
Skin ?

Without knowing how you call and set the effects we can't tell why they mess up...

Also it's true that VirtualDj supports unlimited effect slots per deck, but between sessions it saves only the first 5 of them.
Changing screen resolution while the program is running is not a good practice anyway (actually it's not a good practice for ANY program)

Posted Mon 25 Sep 17 @ 11:27 am
Phantom here is my ONINIT code. I use the Blacksheep Skin. The ONINIT is in my CONTROLLERS // KEYBOARD settings
I don't touch changing resolution especially at a gig. The problem is when changing the state of the VGA connected device.

I watched this all happen when a fellow DJ was connecting and re-connecting the VGA to COMPOSITE device to get connected to the Bar's video system.

When the device is connected Windows desktop takes a hit. I flashes out and in very quickly. That's when VDJ loses the EFFECTS.

It's just reproducing the issue with changing screen resolution. And it's only the EFFECTS that disappear. Everything else is ok.

So is there a way to reload the ONINIT script? (UPDATE: Answer below)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sampler_volume 1 -30% & sampler_volume 5 +100% & sampler_volume 9 -50% & sampler_volume 12 -50% &

deck 1 level 75% & effect_select 1 'EQ 10 Bands' & effect_active 1 'EQ 10 Bands' on & effect_button 'EQ 10 Bands' 1 & effect_slider 'echo' 1 0 & effect_select 5 'flanger' & filter 0.5 & effect_select 2 'Djos Special Flanger' & effect_select 3 'Echo' & effect_active 3 'Echo' on & effect_select 4 'Loop Roll' & effect_show_gui 1 & effect_show_gui 2 & effect_show_gui 3 & effect_show_gui 4 & effect_show_gui 5 &

deck 2 level 75% & effect_select 1 'EQ 10 Bands' & effect_active 1 'EQ 10 Bands' on & effect_button 'EQ 10 Bands' 1 & effect_slider 'echo' 1 0 & effect_select 5 'flanger' & filter 0.5 & effect_select 2 'Djos Special Flanger' & effect_select 3 'Echo' & effect_active 3 'Echo' on & effect_select 4 'Loop Roll' & effect_show_gui 1 & effect_show_gui 2 & effect_show_gui 3 & effect_show_gui 4 & effect_show_gui 5 &

deck 3 level 0% & deck 4 level 0% &

==============================================================================================
AHHH... I found a solution. I changed the resolution and then go back to my original 1920 X 1080. That re-produces the problem of the missing EFFECTs.

To FIX: Go to CONFIG and in this case I deleted the "&". Then put it back in. Exit out and I get asked if I want to save the ONINIT. YES!. Then VOILA I get back all my EFFECTS.

It would be nicer if ATOMIX modifies the CODE to allow IGNORING a change in DISPLAY resolution.

Well thanks for helping. The work-around is good for now.

Posted Mon 25 Sep 17 @ 4:55 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
If the above is you ONINIT script the last "&" is useless.
Maybe that is why it is causing problems.

Posted Tue 26 Sep 17 @ 8:49 am
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
I would like to have some help with a script in ONINIT for saving my master effects, as there is only saving the first effect (TellyV), and my additional effects in the Videobrowser.

Posted Tue 26 Sep 17 @ 4:33 pm
freppa wrote :
there is only saving the first effect

Phantom already told you (in the thread you started about this) that it would be fixed in the next build.

Posted Tue 26 Sep 17 @ 5:09 pm
I know, but I would like to learn more about script and how to use it.
It is always nice to know how to do things..and script is very useful in this software, dont you agree?

Posted Tue 26 Sep 17 @ 8:23 pm
PachN wrote :
If the above is you ONINIT script the last "&" is useless.
Maybe that is why it is causing problems.

Thanks PachN. I deleted the last "&". Then tested by changing resolution down and back to normal. The EFFECTS still disappear.

The work around as mentioned above is to EDIT the ONINIT by deleting a character and re-adding it. Closing the window asks "Do you want to save your settings". I say yes. Problem fixed. All EFFECTS return.

Didn't test it yet without the stray "&", but the same thing happened when plugging in and un-plugging a VGA converter. The desktop takes a WINK and POOF go the EFFECTS. Nothing else changes.

I wish that ATOMIX take a look at this. It is improper behavior.

Posted Wed 27 Sep 17 @ 6:35 am
freppa wrote :
I would like to have some help with a script in ONINIT for saving my master effects, as there is only saving the first effect (TellyV), and my additional effects in the Videobrowser.

The last update did save the 4 efx on the master section.
Now I need help with a script for saving the additional efx on Video section in Fruits skin.

I am not that good in script and need some directions how to..

Posted Sun 01 Oct 17 @ 7:51 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
JimmyL-DJ wrote :
The EFFECTS still disappear..

When you say "disappear", you mean the Effect GUIs on the side of the Browser, or more than that ?

Posted Mon 02 Oct 17 @ 6:52 am
djdad wrote :
JimmyL-DJ wrote :
The EFFECTS still disappear..

When you say "disappear", you mean the Effect GUIs on the side of the Browser, or more than that ?

It's just the EFFECT GUIs that disappear. The music pane and the kick drum section expands to fill.

Then I'll go edit the ONINIT by making a change and then restore back. Close and it will ask to save changes. I click YES and voila all the EFFECTs push the music pane and kick drum section back to original position and all is back to normal.

It would be lovely to get a fix that lets the EFFECT sections ignore changes in resolution blips. I also reproduced this by plugging in and out of the USB port connected to my DMX controller and bringing up Freestyler.

Posted Tue 03 Oct 17 @ 8:14 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
effect_show_gui is a toggle action, meaning that if its on, it turns off and vice versa. So you should use effect_show_gui X on (where X is the FX slot) in your ONINIT instead of effect_show_gui X, if you want to keep the GUIs shown whenever VDJ initializes (for whatever reason)

Also you should use deck X (where X is the deck number, or deck master for effects on the Master) in front of all actions of your ONINIT script if you want those to apply to a specific deck. If you take a look at your ONINIT action, it holds several actions without deck X in front, which will apply to the selected deck and not the one you think it will.

Posted Thu 05 Oct 17 @ 6:55 am
djdad wrote :
effect_show_gui is a toggle action, meaning that if its on, it turns off and vice versa. So you should use effect_show_gui X on (where X is the FX slot) in your ONINIT instead of effect_show_gui X, if you want to keep the GUIs shown whenever VDJ initializes (for whatever reason)

Also you should use deck X (where X is the deck number, or deck master for effects on the Master) in front of all actions of your ONINIT script if you want those to apply to a specific deck. If you take a look at your ONINIT action, it holds several actions without deck X in front, which will apply to the selected deck and not the one you think it will.

THANKS DJ DAD I believe this is correct per your instructions. It's working so far.

deck 1 level 75% & deck 1 effect_select 1 'EQ 10 Bands' & deck 1 effect_active 1 'EQ 10 Bands' on & deck 1 effect_button 'EQ 10 Bands' 1 & deck 1 effect_slider 'echo' 1 0 & deck 1 effect_select 5 'flanger' & deck 1 filter 0.5 & deck 1 effect_select 2 'Djos Special Flanger' & deck 1 effect_select 3 'Echo' & deck 1 effect_active 3 'Echo' on & deck 1 effect_select 4 'Loop Roll' & deck 1 effect_show_gui 1 on & deck 1 effect_show_gui 2 on & deck 1 effect_show_gui 3 on & deck 1 effect_show_gui 4 on & deck 1 effect_show_gui 5 on &

deck 2 level 75% & deck 2 effect_select 1 'EQ 10 Bands' & deck 2 effect_active 1 'EQ 10 Bands' on & deck 2 effect_button 'EQ 10 Bands' 1 & deck 2 effect_slider 'echo' 1 0 & deck 2 effect_select 5 'flanger' & deck 2 filter 0.5 & deck 2 effect_select 2 'Djos Special Flanger' & deck 2 effect_select 3 'Echo' & deck 2 effect_active 3 'Echo' on & deck 2 effect_select 4 'Loop Roll' & deck 2 effect_show_gui 1 on & deck 2 effect_show_gui 2 on & deck 2 effect_show_gui 3 on & deck 2 effect_show_gui 4 on & deck 2 effect_show_gui 5 on &

Posted Mon 09 Oct 17 @ 8:47 am
UUH OHH!!! DJ Dad. I had to revert back to a modified original ONINIT. I made your recommended changes and everything was running fine until I did the "Change Resolution" test.

I made a resolution change and reverted back to normal. The EFFECTS sections of course disappeared. I then started the fix procedure of making a change in the ONINIT section. An example would be to do a carriage return. Then when closing the config... VDJ will ask if I want to keep the changes. I say YES. Then dang it the EFFECT sections did not return.

So I left the "deck x"s statements in as you recommended, and then took out the "on"s in the "effect_show_gui (x) on. So back to hoping Atomix can fix this sometime in the future. But the work around is fine... annoying... but fine.

****************************************************** ONINIT 10-10-17************************************************

sampler_volume 1 -30% & sampler_volume 5 +100% & sampler_volume 9 -50% & sampler_volume 12 -50% &

deck 1 level 75% & deck 1 effect_select 1 'EQ 10 Bands' & deck 1 effect_active 1 'EQ 10 Bands' on & deck 1 effect_button 'EQ 10 Bands' 1 & deck 1 effect_slider 'echo' 1 0 & deck 1 effect_select 5 'flanger' & deck 1 filter 0.5 & deck 1 effect_select 2 'Djos Special Flanger' & deck 1 effect_select 3 'Echo' & deck 1 effect_active 3 'Echo' on & deck 1 effect_select 4 'Loop Roll' & deck 1 effect_show_gui 1 & deck 1 effect_show_gui 2 & deck 1 effect_show_gui 3 & deck 1 effect_show_gui 4 & deck 1 effect_show_gui 5 &

deck 2 level 75% & deck 2 effect_select 1 'EQ 10 Bands' & deck 2 effect_active 1 'EQ 10 Bands' on & deck 2 effect_button 'EQ 10 Bands' 1 & deck 2 effect_slider 'echo' 1 0 & deck 2 effect_select 5 'flanger' & deck 2 filter 0.5 & deck 2 effect_select 2 'Djos Special Flanger' & deck 2 effect_select 3 'Echo' & deck 2 effect_active 3 'Echo' on & deck 2 effect_select 4 'Loop Roll' & deck 2 effect_show_gui 1 & deck 2 effect_show_gui 2 & deck 2 effect_show_gui 3 & deck 2 effect_show_gui 4 & deck 2 effect_show_gui 5 &

Posted Tue 10 Oct 17 @ 6:14 am
While I understand your approach you should try a different one:

1) CUT the text of your INIT action
2) Paste the text on a custom button
3) On your INIT script just call the custom button

When your problem occurs, instead of going to mappers and editing the mapper, just press the custom button.

PS: It's NOT a wise idea to leave the last "&" on your INIT script

Posted Tue 10 Oct 17 @ 9:02 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)