Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Unable to scratch after a few hours into a set

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Dan9400PRO InfinityMember since 2012
I've been working at this club now for 3 weeks and each night I'm unable to scratch towards the end of the night/morning.

At first everything performs fine. I'm able to scratch on my CDJ400s with no issue while they are acting as controllers via a external mixer.
However after a few hours of using the jog wheels the track starts jumping back and forward as I move the job wheel from the top or side.

I think its maybe the timecode getting out of sync. But Even if i turn everything off including my laptop and reboot its fine for 2 songs then it starts acting up again...
I can't think what could have caused it. Tempted to just roll back a handful of updates and see if its just a unfound bug/glitch.

Thanks
(Video to show whats happening as you touch/move the jog only: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB25mW5T43U )

Posted Mon 31 Jul 17 @ 11:33 pm
You aren't using timecode if you have the CDJ's in MIDI control mode (or HID or whatever). Timecode would be using a control CD in the CDJ, running the audio into a USB audio interface like a mixer or soundcard, and telling VDJ to listen to that interface for TC signal.

How do you have the audio configured? Using the CDJs' soundcards and outputting the audio from them to a mixer via audio cables?, or using them solely as a controller and outputting your audio from VDJ to the audio interface in your mixer via USB? If you are using the soundcards in the CDJs they need to be configured as an aggregate audio device in your OS. https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/Pro%20DJ%20FW/Media%20Players/CDJ_Aggregator%20Instruction%20Manual.pdf

Not using the aggregator can cause bandwidth issues on your USB bus, when connecting more than one CDJ to a MAc and using the CDJ's on-board soundcard.

If you are in midi mode; Are both CDJ's (I assume you have a pair) behaving the same way? Are you using a USB hub between the CDJ's and your mac? If so try connecting them directly to USB ports on the laptop, and be sure you are using good quality, short (under 1 meter) USB cables. Do you have any other midi devices connected? Are you running the latest firmware from Pioneer's website on both CDJs? If not, update.

Posted Tue 01 Aug 17 @ 6:39 am
@Dan9400, this is the THIRD time you've posted about this in different places, under different titles.

Once is enough. Please do not spam the forum with multiple posts on the same topic, or the moderators will come after you!

Post once, and keep everything in that thread.

Last post was here.

Posted Tue 01 Aug 17 @ 7:50 am
groovindj wrote :
@Dan9400, this is the THIRD time you've posted about this in different places, under different titles.

Once is enough. Please do not spam the forum with multiple posts on the same topic, or the moderators will come after you!

Post once, and keep everything in that thread.

Last post was here.

I had to post again since I wasn't getting a reply, my next step if not posting this message was to message Atomix themselves.

Posted Tue 01 Aug 17 @ 8:19 am
ZeroZuluBrav0 wrote :
You aren't using timecode if you have the CDJ's in MIDI control mode (or HID or whatever). Timecode would be using a control CD in the CDJ, running the audio into a USB audio interface like a mixer or soundcard, and telling VDJ to listen to that interface for TC signal.

How do you have the audio configured? Using the CDJs' soundcards and outputting the audio from them to a mixer via audio cables?, or using them solely as a controller and outputting your audio from VDJ to the audio interface in your mixer via USB? If you are using the soundcards in the CDJs they need to be configured as an aggregate audio device in your OS. https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/Pro%20DJ%20FW/Media%20Players/CDJ_Aggregator%20Instruction%20Manual.pdf

Not using the aggregator can cause bandwidth issues on your USB bus, when connecting more than one CDJ to a MAc and using the CDJ's on-board soundcard.

If you are in midi mode; Are both CDJ's (I assume you have a pair) behaving the same way? Are you using a USB hub between the CDJ's and your mac? If so try connecting them directly to USB ports on the laptop, and be sure you are using good quality, short (under 1 meter) USB cables. Do you have any other midi devices connected? Are you running the latest firmware from Pioneer's website on both CDJs? If not, update.

My bad regarding the timecodes.

-I've tried both with and without a usb hub with the same effect.
-As setup goes. MacBook Pro (i7) > 1 meter usb > CDJ400 (pair) > Phono/RCA to external mixer > Phono/RCA > DDJ-SX or direct to amp > if ran through venue's DDJ-SX then to amp.
-Tired running Pioneer's CDJXDJ_Aggregator_103 and sadly I still had the same effect.
-Firmware on both CDJ400's at the newest version.
-Running VDJ8 3798

I can only think of rolling back as this issue didn't exist will a month ago.

Posted Tue 01 Aug 17 @ 8:26 am
Dan9400 wrote :
I had to post again since I wasn't getting a reply

ONE post is enough. Then you wait.

If you don't get a reply within a reasonable amount of time (e.g. a week) then post a follow up message in the same thread.

No need to post another separate message. Or a third one.

Posted Tue 01 Aug 17 @ 8:41 am
I wouldn't recommend using a USB hub at all if you are transferring audio data through it. If you have to use one, be sure it's rated as fast or faster than your laptop's on-board USB ports, and it must be self-powered. Try this configuration and see if you can get the decks to misbehave. USB cable #1 from mac to CDJ #1 (this will control left deck)), USB cable #2 from mac to CDJ #2 (this will control right deck), USB cable #3 from mac to DDJSX. Master audio out from DDJSX to amp. Use the default audio configuration for the DDJSX in VDJ audio settings, under "controllers" set the DDJSX's deck to automatic, and CDJ #1 to left, CDJ #2 to right. Be sure both CDJ's are using default mapping.

This will reduce the traffic across the serial bus connecting the CDJ's to the Mac by allowing them to only handle control signals, while the DDJSX's bus does the audio.

Most other cases I found similar to yours were due to a USB hub gumming up the works, and the cdj/vinyl button being pressed seemed to trigger most of them.

Posted Thu 03 Aug 17 @ 3:53 am
Locked as duplicate, please do not post the same issue over and over. You can bump your first post up, if you feel that you are not getting the response you want, thank you.

Locked by AMAHM

Posted Fri 04 Aug 17 @ 5:35 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)