Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: virtual djs repuation - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Been here since 05, and have no idea how many shows I've done. I have been having some issues lately, but feel they will be worked out. I have done so many shows without issues, that it is still a no brainer for me. I actually got a full version of the other software, with a controller I got two weeks ago. I have yet to open it. I don't have anything against Serato, and have never understood the animosity. It's a great software, it just does not work for me. When I'm selling Virtual DJ, I never bad mouth the other software. I just tell you about the benefits of Virtual DJ. Do you guys argue about the trucks that other DJs carry their equipment in?

Thanks Terry, same to you and your family.

Posted Sun 11 Dec 16 @ 4:20 am
The macbook "elites" made it an issue with serato years ago.

Posted Sun 11 Dec 16 @ 7:03 pm
Virtual Dj has had a bad reputation in lots of people's eyes for a very long time. The name, the default skin and the fact that anybody could use it to dj with just a keyboard and mouse are perhaps some of the reasons that hasn't helped its image over the years. One thing that would help raise its standing, would be if it was natively supported by the big hardware manufacturers like Pioneer, Denon and Numark. That would make people take it a lot more seriously in my opinion.

Posted Mon 12 Dec 16 @ 12:29 pm
VDJ FULL PRO is supplied with the Pioneer DDJ SZ!! VDJ also works with the Denon MC8000!!

What more do you guys want from them??

Posted Mon 12 Dec 16 @ 6:14 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003

90% of DJs I've ever seen using any software are screen gazers, reading waveforms. They're all doing the same thing in software that's becoming more and more indistinguishable by the day (it's all the same shit give or take a few bells and whistles).

These vocal critics are merely projecting their own sense of inferiority onto you "at least I'm not using VDJ" it gives them the sense that they're deserving of more merit, when infact their process is the same.

This is why the critics are the punks and the under employed, the industry insiders and the big name DJs I've met have never uttered a bad word, in the case of the latter they've often been inquisitive and impressed.

DJs are meant to be leaders not followers; but since now everyone is a DJ it's become infiltrated with sheep like hipsters whose gear is the same and sets sound the same, because they're too busy trying to be accepted than trying to be unique.

Posted Mon 12 Dec 16 @ 7:31 pm
You got it.

The only people remotely interested in my setup are other DJs. Not management, customers or anyone else.

I still think the major thing taking VDJ down is the amount of cheap pub DJs using cracked versions of 7, and that isn't going to go away in a hurry. If Atomix rebranded their Pro software to another name then VDJ and it's past history would slowly die off, but it seems that's definitely not on the cards so the company will just have to deal with that reputation.

It is by far the most flexible software out there and of course that means it is used by everyone, not just the show-offs with their Apple laptops, Pioneer Controllers and Serato.

Posted Mon 12 Dec 16 @ 7:39 pm
Let us not forget, that in the beginning ALL CONTROLLERS were VDJ branded. At this point it doesn't matter. I put skins on my controllers, and they say Virtual DJ on them.

Posted Mon 12 Dec 16 @ 9:03 pm
Apart from the Alcatech RCP controllers for BPM Studio. They were superb. PCDJ also had control platforms around the late nineties but they were very basic.

Posted Mon 12 Dec 16 @ 9:06 pm
Maybe I should have said that there were NO CONTROLLERS for Serato for years. But again, I know I am not losing any sleep because their name is on the controllers. It just does not affect my bottom line, people paying me to do something that I love to do. Don't tell anybody, but when I first started, I did this for free, and carried large speakers, amp racks and record crates.

Posted Mon 12 Dec 16 @ 9:15 pm
If these guys are so worried about VDJ's rep, they should just battle whoever questions why they use VDJ.......

I'm with AMAHM on this, I don't care what someone else says and still have yet to have someone question me as to why I use VDJ. If they did I would just battle them and end it right there.

And no I'm no Qbert or Craze but I can get down when needed.

Plus VDJ/Atomix isn't paying me to help with they're rep, lmao!!

Posted Mon 12 Dec 16 @ 9:32 pm
Qbert????? I'm not even a Abert. I would have to call you for that battle. The only thing I can scratch is my b..., I mean dog. Besides, the gigs I do don't require scratching, or metal detectors. I just ask them what can their software do that mine can't. Even if they name something, do I care?

Posted Mon 12 Dec 16 @ 9:50 pm
Ive used Serato for a long time but moved over to VDJ to stay ahead of the game. Lets face t, VDJ can do so much more than serato can. I use my pioneer sx2 AND a Akai APC mini *for VJ loops and effect using the sampler* and that alone has got me booked to be able to provide all the music videos and visuals in the clubs I DJ in

Posted Tue 20 Dec 16 @ 6:57 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
@ A Ryan, do you think you could ever go back to such a closed software?

Posted Tue 20 Dec 16 @ 8:04 am
It boggles my mind why people allow what other people think to control how they think. Here is my response to people who ask why I use VDJ! I don't worry about what software you use, so don't worry about what I use. Or in the words of DMX, "If I ever let the words of another man bother me, I may as well let the sperm of that other man father me!" or "What you eat, doesn't make me sh!!!!ttt, so leave me alone." If you are a DJ at my gig then you are there voluntarily, I am there getting paid.

Posted Tue 20 Dec 16 @ 1:16 pm
BokzerPRO InfinityMember since 2016
i dj in a lounge every fri & sat, i randomly get questions asking me why i use vdj. some are inquisitive others are being Hipster fawkwads! I used the very first atomix waaay back in the day, ive used BPM studios (which i liked, because it has a jukebox feature which is handy for when its dead early on & you wanna chat with the staff/go pee) i tried Serato for like 30 mins/1 hour & deleted it. tried traktor & deleted it within 5 mins.. i pay for the monthly subscription here & fully enjoy the support staff & fellow users.. why? because no one has their heads up their own ass smelling their own shit.. in my lounge, i play such a vast selection that scratching (which is what serato is geared towards) is pretty much useless. i love how pretty much EVERYTHING works with vdj & not just the trendy shit...

"Qbert????? I'm not even a Abert. I would have to call you for that battle. The only thing I can scratch is my b..., I mean dog. Besides, the gigs I do don't require scratching, or metal detectors. I just ask them what can their software do that mine can't. Even if they name something, do I care?" BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA this is GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT!!!

i just give them a look as to say, shut the Fawk up & go enjoy a bevvy & the tunes im playing cuz you already are (they havent left) im getting paid you aint
i agree with an updated skin tho,or an option to stay classic or new. (i know i can change the skin at any time, im fully aware others exist)

Posted Tue 20 Dec 16 @ 4:04 pm

What I prefer is to arrive at a party where there are several DJs, and then express their faces when they see that I use VDJ so some contempt. And at the end of the party , I adore when they come to see me saying "I also started with Virtual" It has evolved a lot :-) and I love to say calmly me too and I never wanted Change my habits :-p

Whatever they think, poeple want to dance and don't care about the software

Posted Wed 21 Dec 16 @ 5:51 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)