Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: virtual djs repuation - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

hh73PRO InfinityMember since 2006
it angers me when i am on other forums. and they refer to vdj as a "kiddie program". esp the serato crew. if anyone is using software, traktor, vdj, serato, mixvibes, you are moving from the traditional vinyl way. its all the same. but each software has its pros and cons. serato. you need to pay extra for effects, dvs, this and that. traktor is just to rigid. maybe if the default skin for vdj was updated people wouldnt say this ish. however with the way you can costumize vdj i dont get it. yes its 300 bucks. but thats it. i know my favorite big name commercial djs all use traktor now. thats because they are paid too. and well for some workflows its better. i am very good personal friends with a big name house dj. guess what. they all use the sync button. so they can be more creative, do other things like remix tracks on the fly, you know what i mean. techno is supposed to be about technology. i have tons of vinyl. and its fun sometimes to break it out and do a dvs. vdj works the best for this.

i keep hearing of other sites offering skins for vdj. hundreds of them. when i go, my virus detector goes nuts. props to the old school guys for making it big on vinyl. but its having good taste in music and programming. im taking about being a 4/4 dj for parties of course. but the next thread i read about bashing vdj i will go nuts.

ps i noticed when adding new tracks it seems to be using each core, so theres 3 or 4 being analyzed. like what traktor does. or is this in my head. its very quick now.

Posted Thu 08 Dec 16 @ 10:06 am
Yada yada yada.

I bought VDJ in 2008. My history records only go back to 2010 but since then I have done 290 gigs ..... so that's pretty much a dollar per gig.

Each to their own.

Posted Thu 08 Dec 16 @ 11:07 am
I'm sure there are far better things to worry about, than what someone thinks of the software that you use. Do your clients pay you less because you use Virtual DJ, or do they even know the difference? Right, they don't know or care, and I keep a pocket full of money. This is old, so worry about your van breaking down on the way to a gig, (that is what I worry about). Yes, if you are not playing a track, VDJ will analyze 3 tracks at a time.

Posted Fri 09 Dec 16 @ 7:46 am
I've been using VDJ for over a decade, cost me US$19 for VDJ1 with lifetime updates for US$10 (best money i ever spent)

I am hugely bias toward VDJ and see it as superior (just my take on it)

There is one thing that i believe people cannot take seriously.. the name.. It really implies you could never be a real DJ.

Initially i got VDJ to be exactly that, some who can make some mixes with a PC and nothing more..
Now days i run a RaneTTM57mk2, with TT's, Effects units and i use the VDJ timecodes and the software absolutely suits this setup as much as it did the most basic setup.

I've tried all the others, the VDJ software and timecodes are definately the tightest on the market.

I truely believe if you were to release this software under a trendy name it would move to the masses like serato, most people here the name virtual DJ and wouldn't even give it a serious chance.. its a sad story and a true shame for those people.

Props to the VDJ team for there ongoing years of work, the software couldn't have really evolved to anything better than what it is today and i'm glad i have been part of it for this long.

Posted Fri 09 Dec 16 @ 8:10 am
Yeah, I have been paying the subscription for the pro license for the last few months, but so impressed with it I bought the pro infinity yesterday. I agree though, I think the name is the biggest thing going against it. Makes it sound a bit like DJ hero for the xbox or something. I personally don't care whats it is called.

Posted Fri 09 Dec 16 @ 8:47 am
Been @ it since 1983 and when I finally gave in & started Laptop DJing..... I tried all the software..... Tried VDJ 1st, then Serato (hated it) and then tried Traktor (hated it worse) anyhoo over the years I've tried their new software (serato) when they released one and everytyme I've ended up uninstalling it And staying with VDJ......yes like some said its the name that throws people off....but I don't give a darn...best thing I like i can make the settings, skins,etc,etc how (I) like it

Posted Fri 09 Dec 16 @ 1:17 pm
Wow. I started in 1985 and thought that was bad.

Just imagine if we had VDJ8 and computers back then. No compact cassette, minidisc, DAT, VHS, vinyl or crappy Numark CD players that skipped all over the place.

I still love 80s hifi (one of my amplifiers below) but the media for playback is far better now.

Posted Fri 09 Dec 16 @ 3:04 pm

Posted Fri 09 Dec 16 @ 3:41 pm
People should just worry about they're own reps and let the company worry about there's!!

I've been using this program for a while now and still to this day have yet to have anybody question why I use VDJ period!!

I think if someone says VDJ sucks even after hearing or seeing you play, then it's you who sucks because you didn't push VDJ to max and really show them what it can do!!

Either way I could give a rats ass less what another DJ uses unless there's features I don't have.

Worry about your own reps......

Peace, Love and Chicken grease.

Posted Fri 09 Dec 16 @ 4:19 pm
i love vdj. and its my favrite software. im saying if you are a house dj, or something not like a wedding or "working dj" the techno and house sometimes for no reason wont even listen to your mix if its a vdj mix. because they assume its still version 7 and have no clue how spot on it is not. traktor has not really changed. neither has serato. i dont like cliques and whats cool. the fact you can skin vdj, it reads you files properly.. and sounds very good now are whats important. im not worried about vdj finacial issues. :) but its not a toy to those who can play records. period.

Posted Fri 09 Dec 16 @ 4:32 pm
people should trip out on the softeware but traktor makes these colorful bloopy controllers. every major house club uses pioneer and traktor. which thats the best or not is debateable. but if people wont even listen to you because they have some impression its for kiddied. thats a bad thing. esp in the underground scene. i made some mixes that peope were like who did you do that? serato is like using a cga montior from the 80s. vdj to my is 4k. i just want more of the scene im into to get it. they will.

Posted Fri 09 Dec 16 @ 4:37 pm
@Groovin, I had a SL-P777 but it died on me. Desperately looking for another in the series, 770, 990, 777, 999. They are great CD players.

Posted Fri 09 Dec 16 @ 5:19 pm
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
People should just worry about they're own reps and let the company worry about there's!!

I've been using this program for a while now and still to this day have yet to have anybody question why I use VDJ period!!

I think if someone says VDJ sucks even after hearing or seeing you play, then it's you who sucks because you didn't push VDJ to max and really show them what it can do!!

Either way I could give a rats ass less what another DJ uses unless there's features I don't have.

Worry about your own reps......

Peace, Love and Chicken grease.

I don't know how you did it but you stole these words, out of my brain, while I was sleeping. Please read this quote over and over again. You may also like to remember this, the next time you encounter a DJ that is watching you while you are working. "STFU, here's a pen and paper, sit down and take notes, because if you and your software was that great, you would be working instead of watching me". NEXT

Posted Fri 09 Dec 16 @ 7:50 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Bad reputation, reverse engineers proprietary hardware, allows anyone to rip their production in to pieces and redesign it many different ways, makes stuff the establishment fears that then later follows....

I'm calling it, Atomix are pretty god damn punk.

Posted Fri 09 Dec 16 @ 8:39 pm
Serato DJ is being dumped by users in vast numbers. Read their forums and you can see that since 1.8xx upgrade the software has become unstable on both OS platforms. The Serato developers are on every social media outlet trying to answer questions to help solve what has become a meltdown of their user base.

Posted Fri 09 Dec 16 @ 9:20 pm
burnyabad wrote :
Serato DJ is being dumped by users in vast numbers. Read their forums and you can see that since 1.8xx upgrade the software has become unstable on both OS platforms. The Serato developers are on every social media outlet trying to answer questions to help solve what has become a meltdown of their user base.

yet brainwashed Dj's still get on social media & dj forms swearing by it lol its junk in my book ;-)

Posted Sat 10 Dec 16 @ 12:49 am
Virtual DJ is 3 times more expensive and it still sells... why... because it's better! I own the big 3 and choose to use VDJ.

Posted Sat 10 Dec 16 @ 2:51 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
A Man and His Music wrote :
I'm sure there are far better things to worry about, than what someone thinks of the software that you use. Do your clients pay you less because you use Virtual DJ, or do they even know the difference? Right, they don't know or care, and I keep a pocket full of money. This is old, so worry about your van breaking down on the way to a gig, (that is what I worry about). Yes, if you are not playing a track, VDJ will analyze 3 tracks at a time.

There you go again. Making sense. This really needs to stop... How you been? My best wishes to you and yours my brother

Posted Sat 10 Dec 16 @ 6:54 pm
kradcliffe wrote :

I bought VDJ in 2008. My history records only go back to 2010 but since then I have done 290 gigs .....

My history starts 2009-02-26 and I have done 844 gigs since! And the average duration is about 7 hours per gig (5900 hours total!)
PS: I was using VirtualDj before that date too, but I have no history kept (I was not wise enough at the time to backup my history folder when I changed laptops)
:)

Posted Sat 10 Dec 16 @ 7:15 pm
trevcdaPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Ran across exactly this recently. I thought I didn't really care and I suppose for the most part I don't. VDJ was referred to as "training wheels" and "when are you going to grow up and get some real software. I replied that unless they were packing a SL1200 under each arm and a couple boxes of vinyl, it's all training wheels.

I've VDJ Pro user for many years and, frankly, haven't bothered to even look at other software in at least five years. I'm a corporate/event DJ as opposed to a club DJ (entails a lot of event production work and pays a whole lot better) and found that VDJ does everything I need to do. What can the other softwares do that VDJ can't? Why the unwarranted ridicule?

Posted Sat 10 Dec 16 @ 7:37 pm
56%