Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Slider syntax for controller definition file

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

oursoulHome userMember since 2009
Hi

I've been trying to create a new mapping for the APC40 MkII to VDJ, but am getting an error when it gets to the line for the first Slider:

<!-- Sliders-->*

<slider cc"0X07" name="TRACK FADER 1" channel="0" />
<slider cc"0X07" name="TRACK FADER 2" channel="1" />
<slider cc"0X07" name="TRACK FADER 3" channel="2" />

The documentation for VDJscript gives this as an example in VDJ8:

<slider ccmsb="0x08" cclsb="0x28" name="LEVEL" deck="1" channel="0"/>

but then goes on to give this as another example:

<slider cc="0x28" ccmsb="0x08" zero="0x40" name="EQ_LOW" deck="1" channel="0" />

It also states that ccsmb and zero are optional values, so i assumed i could just leave them out? what does ccmsb mean anyway? Most Significant Byte?

I'm a bit confused - all i want to do is define it as a slider, so surely the CC, channel and name are all I would really need?

Posted Thu 14 Jul 16 @ 9:32 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Correct ish, most significant bit

it depends on endian ness [I think]

Posted Thu 14 Jul 16 @ 9:38 am
Ok, I've looked into it a bit and it seems that MSB and LSB represent Coarse and Fine tuning (for smoother fader action).

So I don't know how to find out the correct MSB and LSB for a particular fader?

This is what I get when using MIDIOX on the first three track sliders:

STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN HEX CHAN EVENT
B0 07 01 1 0 CC: Volume
B1 07 01 2 1 CC: Volume
B2 07 01 3 2 CC: Volume

Status is Control Change on whatever channel,
Data 1 is the CC of the slider,
The DATA2 reading actually depends how far i push the slider, i just set them all to 01 to prevent my own confusion (I am very new to all this)
CHAN is wrong for these purposes, so had to add a HEX CHAN column to give the correct channel.

Im just wondering how the MSB and LSB are represented? Is any of the data provided by midiox relevant to this? The AKAI Communications Protocol document is rather dry, and I can't find this information anywhere in there.

Posted Thu 14 Jul 16 @ 11:01 am
Not all faders offer MSB and LSB
For a fader to offer both it must be 14-bit MIDI.

How to tell if your fader is 14 bit ?
Move the fader (and nothing else) and see what values you get. If you see only a since CC message then your fader is 7 bit (0-127)
If you see 2 CC messages then your fader is 14 bit. In that case the CC message that changes "slowly" is the MSB (Most Significant Byte - Coarse) and the CC message that jumps around all the time is the LSB (Less Significant Byte - Fine tune)

Posted Thu 14 Jul 16 @ 11:09 am
OK, so when i move track fader 1 the status stays constant, DATA1 always returns 07 and DATA2 returns different numbers depending how far it's pushed, so i'm guessing it's not 14bit, but there are no more columns for MIDIOX to return any other values anyway so how would i know?

Assuming it is 7 bit, what would be the correct value to enter in MSB? Would it be the number given when the fader's at it's highest setting? The lowest would be 00...

Posted Thu 14 Jul 16 @ 11:16 am
...OR is it because i've left out the = between cc and "0x07"?

that might explain it!

Would still like to understand the whole MSB/LSB thing though...

Posted Thu 14 Jul 16 @ 12:23 pm
Correct syntax would be: <slider cc="0X07" name="TRACK FADER 1" channel="0" />

Posted Thu 14 Jul 16 @ 12:49 pm
Yeah thought so, thanks, will try it out later...

The problem is i'm creating this script using an overly complicated spreadsheet, feeding off the info from the Akai document & Data dumps from MIDIOX, then adding a bunch of cells together to get the full syntax for a VDJ script, so i could be experiencing a few more of these by the time i'm done!

So i'll forget about MSB etc in this case as it's just for a volume slider, 127 steps will be fine for that ;)

Posted Thu 14 Jul 16 @ 1:28 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
In your first post, i see..
cc"0X07"
but it should be ..
cc="0x07"

Posted Thu 14 Jul 16 @ 2:28 pm
For anyone looking for help on doing this, it's important that the 'x' in the hex values (i.e. 0x00, 0x5E etc) is lower case.

It might be obvious to some people, but i hadn't noticed until I couldn't get the sliders and knobs recognised despite the syntax being correct. Changing the X to an x made everything work :)

...now onto the LEDs... :-s

Posted Fri 15 Jul 16 @ 8:38 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)