Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: 4 platter controller - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Discussing things with a couple of DJ friends last night and the idea came up about a 4 platter controller (non-modular...an all in one unit). Would anyone ever think that would be a good idea, like a 4 platter DDJ-SZ or SX as an example? I know most 4 deck controllers can be switched via button, but would something like this mockup below be beneficial?

It would take up massive amounts of space in a DJ booth (not to mention pretty expensive if it was a Pioneer), but even the smaller controllers like a Denon MC6000 or MC4000 would be interesting with 4 platters.

Posted Fri 09 Oct 15 @ 2:11 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
I could see the benefit in a 4-deck controller with proper transport controls for each deck, but unless you also need scratching on each deck that wouldn't really have to be 4 platters I think.
If you do want 4 platters as in your mock up, I think doing it in one controller would make it too big, I think having it modular would be far more convenient in that case.
(A setup with 4 cdj's is already not that uncommon)

Posted Fri 09 Oct 15 @ 2:32 pm
Messing around in Photoshop to see how a 4 platter would look....

Gemini G4V

Denon MC6000

Posted Fri 09 Oct 15 @ 4:49 pm
Numark NV with 4 screens

Numark NS7 (this thing would weigh as much as a car!)

Posted Fri 09 Oct 15 @ 5:02 pm
A coffin case would truly be that!

Posted Fri 09 Oct 15 @ 8:53 pm
thought of this before.Im sure manufacturers like numark can make a plastic unit,as the NV is super light this would be the first choice.but then our vdj tewam would have to re-code 4 displays and 4 of everything ;)

Posted Fri 09 Oct 15 @ 10:07 pm
The MC6000 is doable, and I would buy it, if they upgrade the pads. It would still be smaller than a SZ. If it was the size of the SZ, I would still get it for mobile. It would have to be made for VDJ, because then it would have extra tabs and knobs to go with our extra features.

Posted Sun 11 Oct 15 @ 5:04 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
If you would want such a controller, your best choice now is to "build" one, using e.g. 4 x Denon SC2000 (or 4 x Numark V7 or 4 x Behringer DC-1 et.c. )and a 4ch mixer, You would need some large coffin one way or the other.

Posted Sun 11 Oct 15 @ 6:28 am
One NI Kontrol S8 with a D2 at each end.

Looks like it's already being done...

Posted Sun 11 Oct 15 @ 1:01 pm
lincol2PRO InfinityMember since 2011
A Man and His Music wrote :
It would have to be made for VDJ, because then it would have extra tabs and knobs to go with our extra features.

That's what I am talking about.

Posted Sun 11 Oct 15 @ 2:19 pm
lincol2PRO InfinityMember since 2011
djdad wrote :
If you would want such a controller, your best choice now is to "build" one, using e.g. 4 x Denon SC2000 (or 4 x Numark V7 or 4 x Behringer DC-1 et.c. )and a 4ch mixer, You would need some large coffin one way or the other.

djdad knows about the feasibility of such "construction" the alternative for now is really expensive.

Posted Sun 11 Oct 15 @ 2:26 pm
Four Denons would only weigh 11.6 pounds, and 26.8" wide x 8.6" deep. I think there was a mixer the same depth. The SZ is 34"W x 16.5"D and weighs 22lbs. That Tractor cyborg looks like it's 10 feet long.

Posted Sun 11 Oct 15 @ 3:00 pm
The problem with the Traktor set up is there are no platters to use. Some people are able to mix without them, but I (and Im sure many others) prefer them for either scratching, cueing, and so on.

Posted Mon 12 Oct 15 @ 12:00 pm
I think this would be very useful. I can imange having to hit the button to allwo the deck. this would be veryuseful. I have a 4 deck controler and it's a pain to have to hit the button to swicth decks. Expessiclay when you are doing club style mixing.

Posted Mon 18 Dec 17 @ 1:56 pm
938MyDJPRO InfinityMember since 2007

I’ve tried this kind of set up before... but adding an SP1 to the SZ instead became more convenient for me.

I have to use SYNC when mxing with 4decks most of the time anyway.

Posted Mon 18 Dec 17 @ 11:54 pm
938MyDJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Or run half a mile from deck 3 to deck 4 just to nudge, lol!

Posted Mon 18 Dec 17 @ 11:56 pm
938MyDJ wrote :

I’ve tried this kind of set up before... but adding an SP1 to the SZ instead became more convenient for me.

I have to use SYNC when mxing with 4decks most of the time anyway.

nice set =)

Posted Tue 19 Dec 17 @ 4:35 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003

I agree that these so called "4 deck" controllers aren't really offering 4 decks, but 4 channels, and having to switch the platters over isn't really ideal, but a space/expense saving arrangement. It's one of the many compromises that DJs have to contemplate before buying an all in one controller.

Being a commercial DJ I rarely have the need for more than 2 faders up at once, not only does overlaying too many tracks confuse a crowd it can also get quite messy from a sonic perspective, especially when you only have a crappy 3 band EQ.

I can see how it would be beneficial for more minimal genres, where the tracks have plenty of space for added elements, Traktor seems to have a large user base of electronic DJs, and that's probably why their controllers verge on being producer tools.

Posted Tue 19 Dec 17 @ 9:55 pm
bagpuss wrote :

Being a commercial DJ I rarely have the need for more than 2 faders up at once, not only does overlaying too many tracks confuse a crowd it can also get quite messy from a sonic perspective, especially when you only have a crappy 3 band EQ.

I totally disagree with this statement. On all levels of the mix.

Posted Wed 20 Dec 17 @ 11:03 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003

Of course you do, it's just an inconvenient truth. Stems improves things a lot in this area, but the workflow is probably too complex to sell to the mass market. Basically they're going to keep selling things to DJs way beyond the point of need or sense, how many DJs have an SX2? How many working DJs do you see using half the features? I don't see many at all.

Posted Wed 20 Dec 17 @ 11:59 am
65%