Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Send out BPM "Taps" via Serial or Network

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi,

I am trying to figure out if it would be possible when using VDJ to have an addon or something that sends out a packet through the LAN or Wifi via UDP or TCP, or even to a serial COM port for each beat, like a tap.

I want to use this to sync my Strip of 400 adressable LEDs to the beats of the music played. Just to show an example, it could be something like in this video, where the direction of the pixel movement is changed with each beat. (the example uses a fixed hard coded BPM which easily gets out of sync)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BocNrglcLSQ

Even if such addon does not exist, I would appreciate if anyone could tell me if would be possible to create it and how difficult you guess is it. I have basic C++ knowledge but not very advanced.

As an extra it would be nice to broadcast some more information on the network with those packets, e.g. song title, or some MP3 tags, possible some kind of time code. I could e.g. put in the MP3 tags some configuration of what kind of LED effects in general I would like to show for a song of a part of a song.

Thanks for your help

Posted Fri 09 Oct 15 @ 6:13 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Why not use the midi clock out? I'm not sure of the in's and out's electronics wise but it must be something a plc like a Pi or aurdino can handle.

Posted Fri 09 Oct 15 @ 6:31 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009

Posted Fri 09 Oct 15 @ 7:13 am
Also you can use the Freestyler plugin to send the CBG to Freestyler itself.
Freestyler is a free DMX lighting program that can be used to program lighting shows.

Posted Fri 09 Oct 15 @ 10:01 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)