Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Playlist Folder Sort

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

ProfLeePRO InfinityMember since 2011
It would be great if the Playlist folder had a "Files Operations" and included the following options:
PLAYLIST FOLDER
--->Files Operations:
1. Move to Top
2. Move to Bottom
3. No Sort
4. Sort A-Z
5. Sort Z-A

Of if not, how about the ability to at least move a playlist up or down in the list. That would be a big help.

Thanks guys (n girls). You are doing a great job!!!!

Posted Thu 23 Jul 15 @ 12:43 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Not sure if I understand you.
You would like to move/ sort the playlist FILES in the Playlist folder, and not the content of a playlist in the browser?

Posted Fri 24 Jul 15 @ 3:28 am
PachN wrote :
Not sure if I understand you.
You would like to move/ sort the playlist FILES in the Playlist folder, and not the content of a playlist in the browser?

Hi PachN-

Yes, I'm referring to the Playlist Folder that usually resides underneath the Itunes Folder along with Crates, etc.

it's the folder where VDJ looks for and keeps track of saved playlists from the Automix menu. I'm not talking about the files (Tracks) within a specif Playlist.

For example: The History Folder has a default Sort included. So when I rename History Playlist, it is possible to group them by Date, Name, Month or even by adding something like a P-Practice Mix_2015_06_06

Even having a default like the History Folder for the Playlist Folder would be a big helpful in organizing the "Playlist Folder"

Posted Sat 25 Jul 15 @ 2:13 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Maybe I'm missing something, but you can re-arrange the order of the playlists simply by drag&drop.
Right-click on the Playlist root folder also allows you to create sub-folders to further organize your playlists.

Posted Sun 26 Jul 15 @ 8:14 am
Adion wrote :
Maybe I'm missing something, but you can re-arrange the order of the playlists simply by drag&drop.
Right-click on the Playlist root folder also allows you to create sub-folders to further organize your playlists.

Adion- Yes, you are right, You can drag your playlists into any order that you want and that is a useful feature. My wish is for either a default sort similar to the "History Folder" or a way to, select quickly with a mouse, where to place the Playlist "within" the Playlist Folder (Top, Bottom or sort A-Z).

Here's an example that may help:

Promoter calls at the last minute and asks me to cover for a local DJ.

Let's say I've performed at this venue a few times before and I have a few Tracklists in the History Folder that fit this event perfectly. As it stands right now, here's what I can do in VDJ8:

1. History File name = 2015-01-24
2. Rename History File name to JoesBar_2015-01-24
3. The History Folder will now move the file close to my other History files with the name JoesBar, making it easy to find what worked at Joe's Bar in the past.
4. Now I can Open the History File JoesBar_2015-05-24 in the Automix Pane
5. I can save the the Automix playlist as, for example "JoesBar Next" VDJ8 then places the new Playlist at the bottom of the Playlist Folder. I like to work from the top of the Playlist Folder. Just a preference.

At this point, my options are to either:

1. Work from the bottom of the playlist Folder (Not my preference)
or
2. Drag the new playlist to the top of the Playlist Folder (This is what I do now but it takes time and if you are not careful, as you drag a playlist to the very top of the Playlist Folder, sometimes the playlist will disappear completely or jump outside of the Playlist Folder. This has happened but may be an unreported bug that I cannot force a duplicate. But it has happened more than once now I avoid dragging to the very top and drag to the 2nd spot from the top then drag the 1st playlist to below my new playlist. Oye Vey!!

To avoid ALL of this, my wish is to have a way to move the playlist within the Playlist Folder by built in options to:

Move to top
Move to Bottom
..... or just have the Playlist Folder default to an alphabetical order sort which would again, make finding playlists easier.

BTW- I add active folders and playlist to my Automix Pane as Shortcuts one I have determined which folders (Crates) I'll be using.

This is all just a wish, not a necessity.

Hope this helps and thanks for asking.

:-)

Posted Sun 26 Jul 15 @ 12:22 pm
BobdngPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I agree. With version 7 playlists were in alphanumeric order. I make new playlists for every wedding in advance and the new playlist ends up at the bottom in version 8. I used to add a + or - at the beginning of new playlists so they would be at that top. Now I have to drag each new playlist to the top to achieve the same result. Since I have about 50 or more playlists, it's a lot of dragging to get to the top! I liked having special playlists for each wedding at the top so I don't have to scroll down.

Maybe I should just leave new playlists at the bottom. At least I'll know where they are.

Posted Wed 09 Sep 15 @ 5:52 pm
This is my dilemma as well - all of a sudden in VDJ8 all new playlists have started their own order below the A-Z sort from VDJ7. I just spent 2 hours reorganizing so it's alphabetical - that's ridiculous! I like the idea above since I kept intuitively looking in the file operations area for this feature.

I seem to have lost the "Genre" folder and other folders that were default with VDJ8 when I upgraded to windows 10 - anyone know what a fix is to get it back?

Posted Fri 18 Sep 15 @ 10:22 pm
if you want to get the folder in alpha order delete the "order" file in the playlist folder then start vdj they will be in alpha order till u make a new list or move them around

@seadjgirl

create a filter folder
filter = group by Genre
scope = database

also the "my library" plugin makes all sorts of useful folders check that out :-)

Posted Sat 19 Sep 15 @ 12:05 am
I agree with some other members on the Playlist sort functions. If we have 18+ (With my screen I can see about 18 entries) playlists you can't drag them up the screen because it won't auto scroll, you have to drag them up as far as you can drop them then scroll the list then drag and drop again until you reach the desired location. A to Z function would be huge. Also when I create a Playlist Sub-Folder then try to use the Move function to move into the new playlist sub-folder it acts like a copy function forcing me to go back and delete the original out of the primary playlist.

Posted Sun 06 Mar 16 @ 8:39 pm
Just adding my ++ for this idea. It is cumbersome to sort the playlists
and it is very easy to "lose" a playlist while trying to move them around
with a mouse. A "right click" sort option would be very beneficial.

Posted Mon 07 Mar 16 @ 6:22 pm
I was having this issue as well I was looking all over the place but it's actually super simple once you find it. VDJ8 doesn't update the hardrive alpha order automatically but after you download your new music and have it all saved in there folders go into VDJ8 and right click your music folder and select reset sort order and it'll put it back in to alpha order just like you have in your actual file.

Posted Tue 16 Oct 18 @ 7:51 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)