Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Surface Pro 3.....

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Costco is offering a great bundle, and Microsoft has cut the price by up to $150.00. I believe they are reducing stock, in anticipation of the Surface Pro 4 release. Rumor has it that it will drop the same day as Windows 10, which is slated for the end of July. I have not been able to get the specs for the Pro 4, so plan on buying the bundle from Costco. I will not open it until I see what the specs are for the Pro 4, and if it is mind blowing, will return the Pro 3. I don't have to have the latest and greatest, but if it is so far ahead of the Pro 3, I may consider it. So what I want to know is, how is the Pro 3 working for you guys, especially with VDJ video? I want to have this as a backup, but also your basic tablet/computer hybrid. So, what are your thoughts?

Posted Fri 03 Jul 15 @ 3:12 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Hi,

I test Surface Pro 2 with success mixing video with VirtualDJ 8. Was a Core i5 with 4GB... I use VOB files in my test. Pro 3 use Intel 4th gen processors and Pro 4 may use 5th gen processors, both work fine with VirtualDJ 8. 8GB is best to work with Windows 8.1 and also may be the same in Windows 10. You can use Core i5 or Core i7 at your choice. Intel HD graphics is working fine with 4th and 5th gen without doubt.

Hope some others may confirm this too.

Posted Mon 06 Jul 15 @ 8:30 am
I thought a few more guys had this computer. Thanks for your response, I already pulled the trigger on it. Today was the last day for the sale.

Posted Mon 06 Jul 15 @ 8:07 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
I found some bad reviews on the charger, but if you get the docking station for this, you may have a better experience. I like the Core i5 with 8GB and 256GB SSD drive. But any Core i7 also seems a good choice... I suggest you to add the keyboard ($129) to your purchase anyway, it works better... Or buy a bluetooth keyboard (like Logitech bluetooth for 3 devices)

Posted Tue 07 Jul 15 @ 10:39 am
The bundle comes with the keyboard, tempered glass screen protector, 365 for a year, i7, 8g ram, 256 ss, Windows 8.1, and Costco Concierge Service, and 90 day return policy.

Posted Tue 07 Jul 15 @ 1:33 pm
I just borrowed my friends and when i plugged in my 4tb usb powered drive it will not read it not enough bus power, I'm out.

Posted Tue 07 Jul 15 @ 4:14 pm
There is indeed a hard drive connecting issue. It seems that MS lowered the power to the USB 3 port, to extend battery life. It seems that some drives work, and there are tweaks that others have found that work. This is why I raised this question here, to see what other VDJ users are experiencing. I thought there were more users.

Posted Wed 08 Jul 15 @ 12:08 pm
I have PRO 2 and it works great with VDJ. You may want to check out the gamer forums, there have been temperature problems reported by gamers with the Surface pro 3.
This is the main reason why I didn't upgrade to a Pro 3 . They said it was a driver issue but I never followed up since I was perfectly happy with my Pro 2.

Check out this youtube Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=87&v=_LKijueO1is

Posted Thu 09 Jul 15 @ 2:24 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)