Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: A beginners short lecture on lossy mp3 file formats? - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Played for 10,000/15,000 all mp3's and not a complaint was given........

Posted Thu 30 Apr 15 @ 8:27 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
As pointed out. Rarely can anyone in a large venue even tell the difference between good and great. Crowds larger than 300? forget it.

Posted Thu 30 Apr 15 @ 10:05 pm
Haha, I know that's why I said it 😜

Either way most people just wanna hear there song played and everything will be good, I'm out fellas ✌️

Posted Thu 30 Apr 15 @ 10:09 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
It's a question of attitude. For a theoretical event on this scale I would not be taking requests. We'd only be looking at around 150 songs. Hence I would rip them from cd to lossless flac, and listen to each at least once. But I doubt I'd do any better than our American cousins. They're right when they say that no one would notice the difference between lossy, and lossless.

The point I'm trying to make is that it's safe for the "superstars" to use computer music files, and software like VDJ, Serato, and Traktor, instead of the old "cd" technology. Anyway the superstars keep turning up with cd's. LOL

Posted Fri 01 May 15 @ 2:38 am
What about .m4a files thats my choice, I never had a problem. Largest crowd maybe 300. depending on your equipment its ad/da converted so many times not to many recordings gonna sound like the original anyway..

Posted Fri 01 May 15 @ 8:19 am
I don't know enough about the Apple formats to answer your question. I'm a Windows user, however the free Speck http://spek.cc/ will work on a Mac.
Open formats are the correct way to go, and mp3 is almost an open format. However almost an open format means that licensing problems are always just around the corner. Given the availability of large hdd I now believe flac is the way to go, but the music industry is always looking for a way to fleece the public. The question then becomes what licensing fees do they want for ripping cd's to flac?

Posted Fri 01 May 15 @ 8:24 am
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Keeping in mind that I am an open source proponent, and that I have been using Linux on several PC's for more than 16 years, I would say that open formats are a good way to go, but not a hard and true correct way.
I believe there are plenty of options available and it would depend on the users wants, needs, and skill level. There are still many devices and software that do not work with flac, in that case a user would have to convert a second time to use on that device.
While I am PC based, not Mac, I do use iTunes for my library management. Not because it's the best, but because it works with my iPhones, iPods, iPad without issue. The playlists I make there are also viewable by multiple software packages. I don't have to go through extra steps to get things to work. I rip into iTunes, and everything I use can work with the files.

Posted Fri 01 May 15 @ 12:55 pm
I use iTunes tracks and I've ripped my cd collection to 192 kbps MP3's. I never got any complaints about the sound quality, I did get quite a lot of compliments about it though ;-) I mostly play at smaller parties, varying from a wedding for a 100 people to a 50th birthday party for 50 guests, and from a students party for 400 youngsters to bars. So I play for people in all different ages.

The only comment I ever got was from a sound technician a few years ago, but that was even before I even played one song... he just hated MP3 dj's... he'll probably have a tough life nowadays ;-)

Posted Sat 02 May 15 @ 7:41 am
Many argue that 192kb/s is equal to cd quality, that includes the developer of VDJ 8. Perhaps...but it is the borderline, with little of a safety factor.
Your choice of a laptop was sensible, practical, and professional. I would expect you to resolve all your technical issues, and produce an excellent sound quality. I would bet your choice of speaker was carefully considered on both grounds of cost, and performance.
You sound a little like myself.
However your nowhere near going on a major stage as a superstar.
Some of the young people on this forum might be able to push the superstars out of the way.
I seek to encourage them, I hope I'm not promoting forlorn dreams.

Posted Sat 02 May 15 @ 11:52 am
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002

Posted Sun 03 May 15 @ 9:41 am
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
Much validity to both sides here. This was a good read http://www.walterdevos.be/how-to-check-quality-of-mp3-file

I am deffinately an Audiphile DJ. At home I run Krell amps, Vienna Acousics speakers. Power & Ground isolation, etc. I am about $30k in. The bottom line is yes, you can hear some differences on that gear. DJ gear, not as much. You would be far better of starting with the basics and working on proper gain stage, then use some kind of audio spectrum anylizer with an Uncompressed (I repeat UNCOMPRESED) Pink noise track to EQ your system at each event.

Do all that at every show and then I say you can spend some time worrying about your source files. Garbage in is Grabage out. But propper gain stage and propper EQ adjustments mean that you are at least flat enough to hear what you are preserveing. I had a frined with crap gain stage (just volume settings here.). Speaker line in was actually in the Mic range, with a line level source. Then the speakers were turned down from 0db because of the over driven input. It sounded crushed and crappy. He has been doing DJing since the 90s!

Preserver your source, absolutlely. But get the basics nailed down first. Get every volume as loud as possible without any clipping to run as efficient as possible. EQ every room, because your position in the room, room dimensions, materials and crowds vary. Do all that and only then will you really ever hear a good source from a bad one.

Posted Sun 03 May 15 @ 1:58 pm
http://www.walterdevos.be/how-to-check-quality-of-mp3-file

EXCELLENT !
This is a better explanation than this squabble thread.
The main point is using those spectrum diagrams, though other factors are also important. Another gent has given us another interesting link.
It only takes a minute to check an mp3.
It's pathetic really, were supposed to be dj's, yet few of us know anything about a mp3. It's like trying to be a house builder without knowing about bricks, and timber.
Here we have the mp3 cliff which so many dj's have needlessly fell off.
Audiences must think were incompetent.

Posted Sun 03 May 15 @ 6:16 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)