Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Map HC4500 to open sampler tab

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Is it possible to map one of the keys on HC4500 to open the sampler tab and from there make other keys on the HC4500 to play samples?

Posted Tue 03 Mar 15 @ 4:39 am
I found the info I need in the VDJ script manual

Posted Fri 06 Mar 15 @ 2:12 am
cycle 'mode' 4 & var_equal 'mode' 1 ? show_text "Effects|Mode" : var_equal 'mode' 2 ? show_text "Video|Mode" : var_equal 'mode' 3 ? show_text "Sampler|Mode" : show_text "Normal|Mode"

I found the above string in the script examples (great) , but I do not want to step through the Video Mode. I just need Normal, Effects and Sampler.
How do I modify the string?

Posted Fri 06 Mar 15 @ 7:09 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
cycle 'mode' 3 & var_equal 'mode' 1 ? show_text "Effects|Mode" : var_equal 'mode' 2 ? show_text "Sampler|Mode" : show_text "Normal|Mode"

Posted Fri 06 Mar 15 @ 7:35 am
locodog wrote :
cycle 'mode' 3 & var_equal 'mode' 1 ? show_text "Effects|Mode" : var_equal 'mode' 2 ? show_text "Sampler|Mode" : show_text "Normal|Mode"

Does not mode 2 activate video mode, but show "Sampler Mode" in the display then?

Posted Fri 06 Mar 15 @ 7:56 am
You're asking a specific question without giving details, I'd need to see most of your mapping to really know what's going on

but as a bodge, use this instead, it skips mode 3 without having to rewrite lots.

cycle 'mode' 4 & var_equal 'mode' 1 ? show_text "Effects|Mode" : var_equal 'mode' 2 ? show_text "Video|Mode" : var_equal 'mode' 3 ? set 'mode' 0 & show_text "Normal|Mode" : show_text "Normal|Mode"

Posted Fri 06 Mar 15 @ 8:06 am
I can't see what u mean with a so "specific" question, but anyway I will try what you suggested! Thanx!

Posted Fri 06 Mar 15 @ 12:05 pm
Time for some mapping again :)

I have mapped two buttons on my HC4500 to change the mode of VDJ. Normal, Sampler and Effects.
What I now wonder is: Is it possible to use the 4th mode "Video mode" to increase the number of samples. (Since I am not using video mode to video)
This will act like: Normal, Sampler Mode 1, Sampler Mode 2, Effects

Posted Sun 15 Mar 15 @ 12:51 pm
From what I can understand (after looking at the VDJPedia page) the modes you refer to are not "modes of VDJ" - they are modes that the buttons on the controller can be put into, if the mapping is written to give the buttons several modes.

So....what mapping are you using? I have just looked at the native HC4500 mapping and it doesn't have anything like that.

As locodog requested earlier, you need to give us details of how your HC4500 is mapped with these mode commands.

Posted Sun 15 Mar 15 @ 1:25 pm
@MrJackson I have a feeling that you don't quite get it.

the only thing that is real is the variable "mode" and that equals a number, when you say you're changing to sampler mode or normal mode all you are doing is changing what number the variable equals.

So you're cycling a variable but until you remap other buttons it is meaningless

You have to change every button you want to work in a mode way like this
The mapping queries the variable "mode" against a number if it equals that number then it will perform the next action, if it doesn't equate then it will do the next action, which queries "mode" against another number.

Originally
stop

Changed to
var_equal 'mode' 0 ? stop : var_equal 'mode' 1 ? effect_active : var_equal 'mode' 2 ? video something : var_equal 'mod' 3 ? something samler : nothing

Posted Sun 15 Mar 15 @ 2:13 pm
You're right Loco, I don't really get it - if I did, I would not put a thread up here of course :)

You did clarify the mode operation - thank you extremely much (know I get it) - I thought the mode-select was some kind of "tab" which referred to a special function in VDJ, like Sampler, effect and so on...

Anyways - I have now got the mapping as I wanted to - so excuse me for putting up rubbish here :)

Posted Sun 15 Mar 15 @ 3:00 pm
No worries, getting your head round script isn't the easiest, the wiki explains things but you've got to figure how it all works together.

Posted Sun 15 Mar 15 @ 3:19 pm
Thanks a lot for fast and precise advice!

I am using the Denon HC4500 (If anyone missed that :) as controller and there are 5 "functions" keys on each deck.
I have now made it possible to switch between four different modes of functions to these 5 keys.
Mode 1 = Normal mode, then buttons will act as hot cue. If holding a cue point for more than 4 seconds it will be deleted.
Mode 2 = Effects like Flanger, Phaser, Reverb, and so on. (I also made a mapping of the jogwheel to change effect parameter 1)
Mode 3 = Sampler Mode 1 Using samples in slots 1-5 of VDJ
Mode 4 = Sampler Mode 2 Using samples in slots 6-10 of VDJ
Selected mode is shown in text in display as well as the colour of the TAP/SYNC button on the '4500.
Sampler output level is possible to control by the X-fader on my mixer, Denon DN-X500.

Mode select is done by pressing the Pitch range select button on each deck.
This makes the '4500 even more flexible :)

Posted Mon 16 Mar 15 @ 7:52 am
MrJackson2014 wrote :

Mode select is done by pressing the Pitch range select button

So how do you select pitch range? :-)

Posted Mon 16 Mar 15 @ 1:49 pm
Maybe he doesn't, I managed for years with a fixed +/- 8%

Posted Mon 16 Mar 15 @ 3:02 pm
Nope. I would never need to change the pitch range "on the fly" - it is possible by the mouse, but I keep it at all times at +/- 12%

Posted Mon 16 Mar 15 @ 3:33 pm
VESTAX VCI-400 the buttons on the A side play cue and pause is only playing the samples try everything can't get it out of sample mood

Posted Mon 16 Mar 15 @ 5:39 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Totally irrelevant to the topic's subject.
Quick answer : There should a switcher at the front of the unit to change the behavior of the bottom pads.
Please open a new topic, if you still have issues with this.

Posted Tue 17 Mar 15 @ 2:02 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)