Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Folders not in alphabetical order

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have just noticed that some of my music folders are not in alphabetical order in the folder section.
For example Ed Sheeran is in the middle of the D section, and my most recently added albums are at the bottom of the list.

I have had a look on the hard drive and they are in alphabetical order there.
I have also enabled and disabled the keepsortoreder, closed and re openned vdj, but this does not seem to fix my issue. I have also had a read of the instruction manual, but I am stuck.

What do I need to do.

Posted Sun 04 Jan 15 @ 7:32 am
Drag them up/down to the position you want them.

Posted Sun 04 Jan 15 @ 7:42 am
Isn't there an auto arrange mode

Posted Sun 04 Jan 15 @ 7:50 am
I thought vdj would arrange them automatically in alphabetical order, unless I had selected to keep sort order.

Posted Sun 04 Jan 15 @ 7:52 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Keep sort order is for files not folders

If you want alphabetical folders search from windows your music locations for files called " .order " delete then,

Posted Sun 04 Jan 15 @ 9:00 am
I found and deleted one file called .order, but it didn't make any difference.

I will have another look and be a bit more thorough.

Thanks again for your help.

Posted Sun 04 Jan 15 @ 1:09 pm
Yes, that's done it.

It was in the folder containing all my albums. It was right at the bottom of my file list.

Thanks again.

Posted Sun 04 Jan 15 @ 1:22 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
there will be one of these in every folder that contains sub folders.

Posted Sun 04 Jan 15 @ 2:25 pm
Thanks bro, I too was wondering how to do that, lol!!

Posted Sun 04 Jan 15 @ 10:59 pm
glenskiPRO InfinityMember since 2011
The question is...

Why is VDJ doing this? It never used to do this - every time I added a new folder of songs, videos etc. they were in alphabetical order, but now each time I add a new folder it is listed at the bottom of the folder tree and I then have to manually go into the desktop folders and delete the .order file !!

Posted Thu 09 Apr 15 @ 7:46 pm
jakovskiPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2006
You have the option to manually sort your folders by drag&drop. So if you change the sorting order a .order file is created.

Posted Fri 10 Apr 15 @ 1:35 am
RobRoyPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2012
search for files named "order" in your system that have NO file extention.
highlight them and delete.
should work fine then.

Posted Fri 10 Apr 15 @ 2:02 am
Just to note that this happened to me, after I updated to v8.2 b3324, today. I found this post, and found the "order" file under the sub-directory (folder) that suddenly started showing sub-directories in order by date accessed. I found the Options setting "keepSortOrder" set to YES... Not sure what it was for the last year or so, but I set it to NO and got rid of the file.

This was a great find in the forum, for me. I personally work in alphabetical order, when adding a large quantity of CDs and songs. I am doing that now, and it got really weird suddenly not seeing the new artist where I expected them. I really considered downgrading to last week's version, before trying to find this issue, through Google.

Thanks to those who figured this out!

Posted Sun 24 Jul 16 @ 6:17 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
keepSortOrder relates to the order of the files in the browser. If you select to sort by artist, it will remember this.

The order file relates to the order of the folders. It can also be removed by right-clicking the parent folder and selecting 'reset sort order'

Posted Mon 25 Jul 16 @ 6:45 am
DjFubbyHome userMember since 2018
Recently I got virtual Dj 8 for my MacBook i've found out how to get all my itunes music to come up but it comes up alphabetical order but backwards (z-a) i was wondering if it's possible to switch it to regular alphabetical order (a-z)

Posted Sat 07 Apr 18 @ 7:04 pm
Virtual DJ simply reads the iTunes database.......so if the iTunes database lists things z-a then that's how VDJ will show it.

Posted Sat 07 Apr 18 @ 7:43 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)