Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: My VDJ 8 plays one sample at a time

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have Numark NS 7 II controller. In VDJ 7, one could initiate multiple sampler sounds at the same time and they would all play.
In VDJ 8, it only plays one sample at a time - playing another sample stops the previous sample that was playing. How can I configure vdj8 to play multiple sampler files at the same time

Posted Mon 17 Nov 14 @ 1:57 pm
Just make sure that the samples you're trying to play are not members of the same group.

More info:
VirtualDj 8 sampler has these so called "Groups"
Groups are used to do just what you describe: You can only play one of the samples at the time, and if the samples are loops then they will all sync together so that you can jump from one sample to the other on the fly without loosing sync.
The default "Instruments" sample bank is a good example of how groups are used.
This bank has 3 groups of samples.
First group is Kicks, second group is Hi Hats, and third group is Synths.

You CAN play one drum + 1 Hi Hat + 1 Synth sample at the same time.
However you can't play 2 drums at the same time since they are part of the same group!

If you open the "Audio FX" sample bank then you can play all the samples at the same time since this bank does not have any groups.

PS: You can also play samples from different banks at the same time ;)

Posted Mon 17 Nov 14 @ 6:53 pm
Thank you very much. It seems I had shot myself in the foot by adding them to the same group!

Posted Tue 18 Nov 14 @ 1:06 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013

Posted Tue 18 Nov 14 @ 2:21 am
What? That's ridiculous.

Posted Tue 18 Nov 14 @ 10:17 am
What's ridiculous - the grouping thing?

It's a pretty standard option on samplers and drum machines.

You'd use it for example by having a closed hi hat and an open hi hat in the same group, because a real hi hat would either be closed or open - never both at the same time.

Posted Tue 18 Nov 14 @ 10:31 am
I can understand for instrument samples, that makes good sense. I don't do much sampling when I mix, I just spin em as they come for the most part.
I enjoy simplicity, but if I sampled a bunch I don't know that I'd like grouping. I want a free-range experience.

Posted Tue 18 Nov 14 @ 2:05 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
You can still have as many samples as you want without adding those to a Group, even remove the existing Intruments samples from their groups too.

Posted Tue 18 Nov 14 @ 2:23 pm
And by default, adding samples on a bank, does NOT put them inside a Group!
Therefore if you don't "manually" create a group you are able to fire all the samples together if you like!

Posted Wed 19 Nov 14 @ 7:48 am
Thanks for setting me straight guys. I've recently purchased an Akai LDP8 and was afraid the config and operation were going to be more involved than I prefer.
I'm a bit of a simpleton, or I'm just lazy. Thanks again.

and my apologies to murayadavid for jumping in on your post, I hope you got all the information you need.

Posted Wed 19 Nov 14 @ 8:29 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)