Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Very serious issue pitch: tuning offset and resetpitchonload !!! :: especially for DJs that work with musicians etc

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

This is quite an important issue for me personally and for a growing number of DJ;s / musicians I know. It is about a functionality that has been crucial for my working with VirtualDJ for so long. The stretching / pitching engine which is quite good and now possibly even better in V8. However there's a problem now! Please look into it / or forward it to development team as it might present a problem to musicians and high end users like myself!

I have posted about this on your facebook page but haven't had any answer up to now.. This was my post in quotation marks:

"SERIOUS DEVELOPMENT ISSUE please forward to DEV::: the KEY LOCK button doesn't work right combined with the resetpitchonload=no. I work as a dj on 432 hz meaning that I offset all my tracks 8 hertz in pitch (-1.81%) In version 7.4 I would pitch down all tracks 1,81%, then use keylock and with the resetpitchonload=no function all my new tracks would be pitched down 1,81% and I could still sync etc. Now this doesn't happen even with resetpithchonload=no, It resets the pitch to 0 every time I load a new track!!! This is quite bad especially for musicians who would need tracks transposed.... And one extra thing: the KEY LOCK options drop down icon is not visible in the 4 deck view. I am a Virtual DJ user but I need this key locking function. This was all possible in 7.xx versions! Another option could be to have the master tempo be offset to any other value than 0%. with double digit precision. Please comment and investigate! Thanks"

The entire point of this is : A growing number of DJ's is playing on 432 hz as opposed to a basic tuning of 440 hertz. This means that we transpose every track down by 8 hertz. (the reasons are it is less painful to the ears, and more soothing to audiences, there's still some controversy about this but I personally have very positive experiences with this) Anyway it has always been possible up until 7.4, However its not working in V8!

the exact pitch down ratio is -1.81%. So what I am used to do in VirtualDJ 7.x and earlier versions: workflow 7.4:

1. I would make sure in config that in performances TAB advanced stretching is selected. This for optimal pitching / stretching engine or algorithm

2. I would select my deck 1, deselect Key lock (lock icon), then pitch down exactly -1,81% (mapped to a keyboard button), then activate keylock, then I would reset the pitch fader to 0. (mapped to a keyboard button) now the fader is at 0% (in the middle) but still sounds 1,81 % lower. The way I want it for 432 hz playback.

3. I would have made sure that in config options: pitchreset on load would be disabled. Now even dragging a new song on the deck will not change the offset pitch value of -1,81 % ::: The new songs will play perfectly at -1,81% pitch, but I will still be able to sync it. I have offset the mastertempo pitch for all tracks to say it in a different way..

4. I would repeat these steps for my other 3 decks (I use the standard 4 deck view in the highest resolution) This would work perfectly for all decks and now I can mix all night while all my tracks are in 432 hertz with no hassle at all (at least everything is pitched down -1,81%)

Now the problem in V8 is: I have not been able to duplicate the above workflow in the V8 version due to:

V8 problem 1 * the pitch values only have single digit values: so not 1,81% but only 1,8%. This is too coarse. I hope it is still possible with a direct button mapping (set pitch n.nn value) or else pitch should be double digit precision (maybe with shift or something)

V8 problem 2 * even when I can set one track to -1.8% and lock it with the key lock button (show key panel) as soon as I drag another song to the same deck, it resets the pitch to 0 (audible) while the key lock function icon is still lit.

V8 problem 3 * although it is great to have the transpose - / + buttons for transposing semitones (great for musicians) there should be another one where you can enter an exact pitch offset in double digit (n.nn%) percentages or in cents (one cent being 1/100th of a semitone)
and you should be able to keep it locked even when you select another song (optionally) and heres where problem 4 comes in:

V8 problem 4 The version 7 option pitchreset on load would make sure that the pitch offset remained even after dragging in a new song. in V8 this is called resetpitchonload = no. But when you set it to no, it still resets the pitch to 0% (audible) when you load a new song to the same deck! Even after you previously offset it to another pitch! I hope this is just a bug and will be fixed since I and many more musicians will need the earlier mentioned workflow (above purple text)

just think of a saxophonist who has set up several tracks in A sharp (A#) but who wants all following tracks to be transposed automatically one semitone. Or like myself. DJ's who use an exotic pitch offset for all tracks for various reasons (like 440 to 432 hz -1,81% or -32 cents).
V8 problem 5 I use 2 RMX-2 controllers in a 4 Deck Skin (V7). In v8 I didnt see the show key panel drop down icon in the 4 deck skin. So I wasn't able to do all the above (purple above text) for all my 4 decks.

I hope you will take my remarks / request seriously as this functionality has been the most important reason to stay loyal to VDJ for so long.
Virtual DJ has a great sound engine and is very musician-friendly (with its very accurate key and tonality analysis (Aminor C#major etc. so please re-implement the above possibilities for me and a growing number of musicians who really need this funcionality!!! It will help keep the edge over the likes of traktor etc.

one last note: I haven't at first glance been able to select different sound engines: (purescratch / fast stretching / advanced stretching) but this is probably because the new one is great anyway..

I hope you will investigate this and will reimplement this very important feature since it is part of a growing number of DJ's and musicians using these kinds of functionality and basically because it was like this in the 7.nn versions.

best regards and anxiously awaiting your development team's answer,

Tim Hüfken
DJ / Producer (Jean Michel Jarre Teo and Tea Album)
Hercules DJ Ambassador Benelux area
Hercules development brainstorm partner

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 4:35 am
any response?

Posted Thu 29 May 14 @ 4:55 pm
vdbocPRO (legacy)Member since 2013
In a previous post of mine, I deal with some of this. I refer you to my original post. Go to the Forum "PC Version Technical Support" and look for my post titled "VirtualDJ 8 - Two Usability Issues" (currently it is on page one of that forum). Point # 1 presents a work-around for part of the problem you describe. Like you, I await any response from anyone regarding my points # 2 and 3.

Posted Thu 29 May 14 @ 5:57 pm
omg the magical 432hz frequenzy, so wow, so resonating with magical forces, happy, very intouch with the cosmos, wow

Posted Thu 29 May 14 @ 11:09 pm
YoungFLOYD wrote :
omg the magical 432hz frequenzy, so wow, so resonating with magical forces, happy, very intouch with the cosmos, wow

I have the same feeling about this but there is no need to be nasty about it. Different strokes for different folks and all.

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 8:10 am
Now that it's possible to have effects on the master output, why not just use a pitch shifting VST to tune everything down 1.81%?

Alternatively, if you always play everything at -1.81% then you could edit all your files to permanently be at that pitch.

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 8:23 am
I have tons of tracks in my collection where the pitch is not exact anyhow. One track may not be tuned to the other at their defaults (excluding remixes and mashups of course which can be all over the place).

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 11:01 am
@DJ Craig im sorry if i hurt anyones feelings. srs.

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 6:21 pm
DJ_Craig wrote :
YoungFLOYD wrote :

I have the same feeling about this but there is no need to be nasty about it. Different strokes for different folks and all.

Condemnation before investigation is the height of ignorance. But anyway as you said different strokes different folks. However it used to work in 7.4.1 and now it doesnt. ;-)

Posted Tue 03 Jun 14 @ 10:15 am
thanks for the resetkeyonload option! works as a breeze that was what I needed! Thanks a lot

Posted Wed 08 Oct 14 @ 5:03 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)