Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Can you pre-listen to an effect?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

FLeX69PRO InfinityMember since 2006
What's up Everyone,

Not sure if this is possible:

Is there a way to pre-listen to any effect before it is activated during a live performance?

Also, is there a way to save an effect, once you find a value you use all the time? For example, if have a flanger_loop value I like to use all the time, can I save that value so I don't have to guess this is where my controls are to use this effect.

Thanks again for any assistance.

FLeX

Posted Mon 03 Dec 12 @ 7:20 am
Short answer: no, you can't preview effects in the headphones before they go 'live', sorry.

But if there is a certain slider you like in a certain place all the time, you can set that in virtual dj. Set a button on your controller or keyboard key to something like:

effect "flanger" active on & effect "flanger" silder 3 58%

and that would activate "flanger" then set slider 3 to a certain place. With a bit of playing around you'd be able to make it so the effect you want always activates with the right settings for you.

Just tried that out and it doesn't work! But that's close, if you're interested I'll have another play to make it actually work like I said.

Posted Tue 04 Dec 12 @ 2:11 pm
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Yes two ways, route your effect channel to an extra sound card in your system, 2 if you have an external mixer usb or firewire you can route it to a channel there, but in both suggestions you would have to listen through another set or plug in your headphones to that device...

... another idea that just came to mind is maybe if that effect could be routed/loaded to a deck then this could work using your normal channel to pre-listen???.....anybody think this is possible

Posted Tue 04 Dec 12 @ 8:38 pm
Those are great ideas. I wasn't sure if it is possible to pre-listen VDJ effects.

How would you route the effects to the sound card & pre-listen? What I mean, the effects channel doesn't pop up in VDJ to route to a channel, does it?

The other idea mentioned sound possible by setting hot keys to set effects I like to use.

Thanks again Everyone.

FLeX

Posted Wed 05 Dec 12 @ 5:49 am
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Okay let say you have your laptop sound card or a usb sound card hooked up to your system, we'll use the laptop for now you can assign your effects channel to your laptop soundcard (which in my case it would be Realtek High Definition Audio). then all you would need to do is plug your headphone into your laptop headphone jack to hear, but you must still do the routing through Advance Sound Config.in VDJ.

The usb sound card option be best to have one that has a headphone jack available, but you can alway plug in a "Y" addaptor to make it work that way. now you will also need to route the output side of that usb soundcard back into the output side of your main outs, eithere through your controller or your mixer depending on how you arrange your main output... Good Luck

....On the last minute idea routing the effect to a deck, meaning triggering the effect from the effect channel but playing it through a deck... if this could be done via a script of some sort then other possibilities can be had.... Anyone can add to this idea

Posted Wed 05 Dec 12 @ 12:47 pm
Thanks for the update...I will give it a try

Posted Thu 06 Dec 12 @ 8:02 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
I ve been reading this thread since the beginning. Why do i have the impression that half people here are talking about effects and the other half about samples ?
To assign a deck of an external mixer to prelisten your samples, yes it is possible. To assign a deck to prelisten your effects ???
Unless you mean you will use a spare deck to load a song (or clone the one you have) and apply an effect to see how it looks.

Posted Fri 07 Dec 12 @ 2:29 am
Hello,

I hope I am explaining it correctly...For example some external mixers allow you to prelisten to an effect on a song, before you actually activate the effect live. This is what I am trying to see if there is a way to do this.

Thanks again.

Posted Fri 07 Dec 12 @ 11:57 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)