Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Tags - Comment field - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

groovindj wrote :
I also read elsewhere on the forum that VDJ checks for v1 tags first, then v2 if no v1 found, and so on.

Surely that's backwards?

I would suggest that reading the MOST RECENT tag versions first is more sensible - as that's where any new info added is more likely to be.

UPDATE: I just did some more tests, and this is true. VDJ will only use the ID3V2 information if ID3V1 tags are not present. I agree that this does not make sense. Most of us have some older files that were ripped in the 1990's before ID3V2 existed. If tags have since been cleaned or added to, wouldn't you want the latest information?

Could this please be included in the next update?

Posted Tue 31 May 11 @ 3:26 pm
Eric Sands wrote :
And its very curious that the comment DOES appear if I simply rename the file.

then that tells me you did not correctly remove that filename from VDJ's database..

just hitting "clean" will not remove that information if VDJ thinks its supposed to be part of the database.
You first have to select the songs.. right click.. choose "remove from search database" (or whatever its called)..
THEN do a "clean", at that point (as far as VDJ thinks) that song is now fresh and new..

To verify that theirs not some weird bug going on..
you can also RENAME the parent folder of the music files when VDJ is shutdown (dont do this in VDJ as it will then retain the info in the database)
THEN do a "clean".

Note: any external hard drives need to be connected as VDJ retains info on the C: drive AND puts a database on any external drive.

Posted Tue 31 May 11 @ 3:32 pm
As I said above you have to do the 3 step procedure:
Check so that VDJ checks which files are missing (it doesn't automatically knows that)
Clean so that VDJ removes dead files info
Fix so that VDJ rebuilds all it's database structure to ensure integrity

Posted Wed 01 Jun 11 @ 1:54 am
Eric Sands wrote :
Could this please be included in the next update?

I think we'd better post in the 'wishes' area and also maybe email Atomix.

If enough of us do it, they may notice!

EDIT: Just done it. Go ahead and post your +1 in the thread. :-D

Posted Wed 01 Jun 11 @ 5:13 am
Hippy... i did all those steps before moving file back. I checked, cleaned, and fixed.

Posted Wed 01 Jun 11 @ 10:42 am
Eric Sands wrote :
Hippy... i did all those steps before moving file back. I checked, cleaned, and fixed.

ok. so just to double check..

1.) with some of your music the comment tags you KNOW you added were not showing up. Even after you tried "Scan for Tags"
2.) so with VDJ NOT running, you used windows explorer to move those files out of your music folder.. (IE: as far as VDJ is concerned they were deleted)
3.) you then opened/ran VDJ.. I will assume at this point that VDJ showed those files as missing? yes/no?
4.) you then did a check/clean/fix of your c: drive (which was where those music files were stored)
5.) you then closed VDJ and moved those files (using windows explorer) back into your music folder..
6.) you then re-opened VDJ. When you went into the folder holding those songs, did VDJ see them as new, never been scanned IE yellow ?
7.) you then scanned those songs, expecting to see the new comments to show up, but they didnt.. (old or NULL comment was still showing up)
8.) you then closed VDJ, renamed those songs, opened VDJ, again scanned them, and BAM the new comments showed up!
IE: its acting like the database is not really having the info removed like it should?

Are these pretty much the steps you took? or did you take any 'shortcuts'? or was anything I wrote wrong? (IE: F:drive not C:drive etc etc)
I need to know because I will try repeating these steps on my systems and see if i can get the same bug to show up..

Posted Wed 01 Jun 11 @ 3:49 pm
OK Hippy... I just repeated those exact steps and now, comments are showing up where they were not before. That process is pretty much what I was doing before as well (except checking for null file, which Tag&REname does not do). I'm not sure what I did differently this time.

Thanks for you help...

The only issue now is really to scan for version 2 tags as a priority before using version 1.

Posted Wed 01 Jun 11 @ 10:10 pm
Eric Sands wrote :
(except checking for null file, which Tag&REname does not do).
The only issue now is really to scan for version 2 tags as a priority before using version 1.

your best bet is too make the id3v1 tags and the id3v2 tags the same.

Tag&rename WILL do this for you, but you need to enable this option.. and then actively make a change to everyone of the files..

or find software that will help you move and match the V2 and V1 tags.. (I did this a few years ago.. not worth it.. found it easier to just start over LOL)

Posted Thu 02 Jun 11 @ 1:22 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Finally, if your track has two comments on it's tag (one with owner set to "null" and it's blank and a second with other owner with actuall content) when VDJ reads the info it will see a BLANK comment and it won't read the second comment.

In order to take a look at your tags and especially the comments field you need a good tagger software like id3tagit.

Phantom DeeJay... I downloaded and installed ID3tag-it. I cannot see anywhere in the program where you can set the owner to "NULL". Can you tell me where this feature is?

Posted Thu 02 Jun 11 @ 9:53 pm
Anybody use ID3TAGIT? How would you set the owner to "NULL" so VDJ will read the comment field?

Posted Fri 03 Jun 11 @ 10:27 pm
hippydog wrote :

Not possible.

For starters, the character count on v1 tags is limited, so artist/song names, comments etc. will be truncated.

Also the v1 tags only support a fixed set of genres.

The "best bet" is to have Atomix update VDJ so that it reads v2 tags first.

Posted Sat 04 Jun 11 @ 4:00 am
hippydog wrote :

groovindj wrote :

Not possible.

Really not possible? thats weird because it works for me..
but a user also has the option to just delete the id3v1 tags too..

on the image I uploaded from tagnrename, the default is to leave the "id3v1" comments alone.. but a person can uncheck that option and the comment will be overwritten.. (I assume it truncates the v2 to a smaller size)

groovindj wrote :
The \"best bet\" is to have Atomix update VDJ so that it reads v2 tags first.

Best bet? sure, if it gets done next month..
but I doubt that will happen in this case.. heck.. I waited 2 years for a rating field.. LOL

and a person should never rely and wait on some special "function" anyways..
the music is our tool.. if its badly organized or has wrong tags, its our JOB to clean it up, even if it takes a few days..

but then I'm old school.. My idea of "tagging" 'back-in-the-day', was to place post-it notes on the album/CD covers ;-)
After I bought PCDJ red it then took me 2 weeks to ripp all of my CD's and tag many of them by hand..

Posted Sat 04 Jun 11 @ 10:04 am
OK... in that case I don't eally need this software... I can just use T&R like I have been.

I will spend some time making all my V1 tags identical to my V2 tags. And I will keep my fingers crossed that VDJ will soon make reading V2 tags the priority.

Posted Sat 04 Jun 11 @ 4:32 pm
Groovin is right about the v.1 shorting up the fields thoug and the genres..........

Huey

Posted Sat 04 Jun 11 @ 4:37 pm
Oh OK, so maybe I will simply delete all my V1 tags.

Posted Sat 04 Jun 11 @ 4:40 pm
HELLO!
Q: Re: Mixer and Remixer on Tag Editor Virtual DJ 8
Q: Remixed BY Tag&Rename
I, have always tag My Music with "DJ.Rene"
on Tag&Rename But Does NOT Show In VDJ neither it SHOWS when I Tag on VDJ Tag Editor It Does NOT SHOW no were on TAG&Rename....ANYONE Please??? TNX

Posted Fri 03 Jul 15 @ 9:09 pm
DJKJRENE, please start a new thread because this thread is outdated, and is for version 7.

LOCKED BY AMAHM

Posted Fri 03 Jul 15 @ 9:59 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)