Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Tags - Comment field - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I use Tag&Rename to clean up my tags and I often add information to the Comment field. After adding to VDJ, I scan for tags.

Why is it that for many of my files, I cannot see my added tag info in VDJ in the COMMENT FIELD? Under the FILE INFO, I do see the info that should be there, but not in the COMMENT FIELD box. I see it underneath the box, to the right of the arrows.

Furthermore, there is some info in some other comment fields that I deleted in Tag&Rename, but now appears in VDJ... strange.

UPDATE: I just discovered that I have simultaneous version 1 and version 2 tags present. So I will have T&R delete all version 1 tags. But that does not answer the question of why my added info to the COMMENT field is not showing up.

Posted Thu 26 May 11 @ 5:19 pm

Posted Thu 26 May 11 @ 6:48 pm
Yes - I am very aware of the manual and have read it quite thouroughly. I have tags and comments both enabled. I also did SCAN FOR TAGS and tried the RELOAD tags as a batch operation. I still am not seeing the critical info appearing in comment field box. It only appears underneath the box.

Posted Thu 26 May 11 @ 7:35 pm
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Then you'll have to manualy click the little arrow (<) under comment field to write to the field in VDJ.
Are you using iTunes to rip your CD's?

You will also have to delete the comment field in VDJ, you can do a batch and applyAlll for this task...

Posted Thu 26 May 11 @ 7:49 pm
No - I am not using itunes; I use the old PCDJ RED 5.2 program which has an excellent ripper.

If I hit the small arrow. the tag info populates the comment field. But I have thousands of these. What is the point of enabling tag info if you have to then individually use the small arrows?

Posted Thu 26 May 11 @ 8:58 pm
OK - I did the following test:

I took a folder where the COMMENT info was clearly removed in Tag&Rename. I pasted it into my VDJ Music directory, recursed, scanned for tags, and the unwanted Comment tags were still appearing in VDJ. Next, I duplicated that exact same folder, renaming the song filenames only slightly, but leaving the tags unchanged. Then I loaded it into VDJ the same way, and my bad comment info was gone.

So... that tells me that there is some database or something in VDJ that is "holding onto" the old tag info that I am trying to clean up. Is there a way of purging VDJ of old tag info and having it re-load only what is currently in the tag?

Posted Thu 26 May 11 @ 10:55 pm
Hi Eric,

..No there is no purge tag info in VDJ, but you can select an entire folder and globally edit out any field by just placing a period in the field, that would give you a round about way of accomplishing the same thing, but you can also highlight all those files you need to erase comments from, right click and choose "Erase Comment" and your done.

Another suggestion is if you are having problems migrating new edited fields from PCDJ, add a semicolon to the edited field and see if it updates, I had some success with this in iTune to VDJ 5 when I had the same problem back then...

Good Luck,

Joey....

Posted Fri 27 May 11 @ 6:50 am
Eric Sands wrote :
I use Tag&Rename to clean up my tags and I often add information to the Comment field. After adding to VDJ, I scan for tags.
Why is it that for many of my files, I cannot see my added tag info in VDJ in the COMMENT FIELD? Under the FILE INFO, I do see the info that should be there, but not in the COMMENT FIELD box. I see it underneath the box, to the right of the arrows.
Furthermore, there is some info in some other comment fields that I deleted in Tag&Rename, but now appears in VDJ... strange.

UPDATE: I just discovered that I have simultaneous version 1 and version 2 tags present. So I will have T&R delete all version 1 tags. But that does not answer the question of why my added info to the COMMENT field is not showing up.

1.) red 5.2 was an excellent ripper in its time.. thing is.. back then the ID3V4 was not around, so pcdj red used a mixture of ID3v1 and ID3v3 tag fields.. IE: in ID3 their are actually two types of comment, artist, & title fields..
Almost all newer mp3 players and taggers default to the id3V4 specs..
Result? stop using red 5.2 as your ripper and go to something newer and more compatible with modern software. Trust me.. ive been thru this.. it aint worth it..

2.) VDJ only pulls information from the ID3 for songs it has never seen before.. even if you do a "scan for tags" it will skips songs it thinks it has already pulled the information from..

3.) you have a couple of options.. remove the folder of the songs that you edited from VDJ's "search database", then clean the database.. *warning.. this action will have you lose ALL tag and cue's from the songs *, then re-add those songs to the database, and re-scan.
OR you can manually go thru each song and load the tags that way..
OR you can take this oppurtunity to rename the songs (using TagNRename) so more information is automatically stored in the filename itself.

Posted Fri 27 May 11 @ 12:13 pm
Thanks Hippy... I don't mind cleaning the database and reloading the music... I haven't really stored any cue points yet since getting my Denon MC6000. (previously I used VDJ only for video shows. I'm only now starting to use it for the all shows). Which ripper do you reccommend? How about Audio Grabber?

Anyway, the thing is... I'm using Tag & Rename to strip the tag and re-write a new tag structure after ripping. So you would think that the latest tag structure is on the file. And VDJ is even seeing the right comment information when I select FILE INFO. It just does not migrate it into the database unless I hit that small arrow. Strange.

Posted Fri 27 May 11 @ 12:53 pm
Sometime you need to shut down VDJ and restart before you see results...

Posted Fri 27 May 11 @ 1:01 pm
I did another test... I used the FILE INFO function to write something in the COMMENT field, and then hit the small arrow to write this info to the tag. Then I analyzed this file in TAG&RENAME. I wanted to confirm that the COMMENT field in TAG&RENAME corresponded to the comment field in VDJ, which it did.

Now of course I can go in and hit the small arrow a few thousand times to populate this field in VDJ. But I shouldn't have to do this.

So again, what determines whether the comment info is migrated from the ID3V2 tagged files into the VDJ comment field? The info is clearly being seen by VDJ, yet VDJ seems to arbitrarily not display this for many files which I know have a clean ID3V2 tag.

Maybe this is a bug? Although, I can't imagine this would not have already been fixed in the past few years.

Posted Sun 29 May 11 @ 9:02 pm
It's normal to have ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags present. Any decent library will always check if the v2 tags are present before falling back to v1 so there was no need to remove them. As for comments not being updated, I believe the behaviour is intentional. The files were in your Virtual DJ database before they had comments?

Posted Sun 29 May 11 @ 11:27 pm
No - these comments have been part of the files for several years. I just loaded my entire music library on a new installation of VDJ on a new laptop. I did not carry over any old database.

Posted Mon 30 May 11 @ 12:20 am
its been a few years since I dealt with this, but I remember many of my tags made by red pcdj not showing up correctly..

once of the things I found out is their is an option in tagnrename that you can force it to write and overwrite both id3v1 and v2 tags at the same time (IE make them the same) BUT it will only do this if you make a change in the tags..

I also think part of issue is basically that their may be two comments that are in your mp3's.. a v1 comment field and a v2 comment field..
I think VDJ first looks for a v2 comment field, if their is one (even if its "blank" , but the field is entered) this is the field VDJ pulls from..
I think VDJ only pulls fron the V1 comment field if a V2 is non existing.. (or maybe its the other way around??)

also, I know this sounds weird, but its actually possible for their to be AN EXISTING but blank (full of spaces) comment field..

in VDJ try right clicking the comment field for the songs that did not "get" a comment.. when you 'right click' and it highlights a bunch of blank spaces, then your having the same issue I had..
IE: both comment fields have characters in them, but one of the versions are filled with spaces..

so again.. this isnt the fault of VDJ, its the fact that "tagging" mp3's for most programs started using the id3v2 and v4 standard,
where as pcdj red had their own personal version of tagging that isnt standard, and is not always recongnized by newer programs..

Posted Mon 30 May 11 @ 12:53 pm
I checked and the comment field in VDJ has no spaces. It is literally blank.

Yes - I understand that PCDJ had their own quirky tagging. But the thing is, I have since either stripped and re-written new V2 tags, or I have mass copied the PCDJ comment field to the ID3v2 standard comment field. And VDJ is seeing it. It's just not migrating into the FILE INFO comment zone.

The surprising thing is... when I rename a filename of a song where the comment field wasn't showing up, and then re-curse, now the comment field shows up.
But when I remove the song from the drive completely, and then clean the database (under VDJ Browser), and then re-load the song and re-scan for tags, it's back to the same problem - not showing the comment field.

Posted Mon 30 May 11 @ 2:46 pm
That is the same problem I had in VDJ 5, if I put a semicolon at the end in itunes Genre field, then it showed up in VDJ, if I went back to itunes and edit out the semicolon it would erase the Genre fiels in VDJ....

Posted Mon 30 May 11 @ 4:04 pm
I can give you a quick or a brief full explanation of this behavior...

Quick:
ID3 v2.3 tags can hold MULTIPLE comments on the tag and each comment has an OWNER. Unless owner is set to "null" most apps will not see the comment.
Other apps may see the FIRST comment of the batch of comments and list it. So, in other apps you will see a comment while in others you won't.

Also, when VDJ meets a new file it reads the tag. After that it will NEVER re-read the tags unless you manually tell it to do so. Once VDJ reads the tag info it stores it in it's internal database.
When you delete a track this info doesn't get lost until you actually Check-Clean-Fix your database (all 3 of the above steps)
Then you can restore the track and VDJ will act as seeing it for the very first time.

Finally, if your track has two comments on it's tag (one with owner set to "null" and it's blank and a second with other owner with actuall content) when VDJ reads the info it will see a BLANK comment and it won't read the second comment.

In order to take a look at your tags and especially the comments field you need a good tagger software like id3tagit.

Tag & Rename is a very popular tagger, however it "simplifies" the comment field, thus you don't always see what's actually there.
I suggest you use id3tagit just to get a glance on your files to see what's going on with comment field... You will be amazed of how much info there might be on your tags that you can't actually see with most taggers, especially if you have files that you just downloaded from various sources over the internet...

PS: Same rule applies to ID3 Tag Cover Pictures. The tag itself can hold multiple covers, but most taggers will only show the first in the order they read the tag (in other words the newest entry since the cover index rebuilds itself each time you add/remove a picture)

For a brief explanation I will come back later this afternoon. :)

Posted Tue 31 May 11 @ 7:07 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
After that it will NEVER re-read the tags unless you manually tell it to do so.

Such as by using the 'scan for tags' option on a folder?

From what I've been trying today, that doesn't work.

I also read elsewhere on the forum that VDJ checks for v1 tags first, then v2 if no v1 found, and so on.

Surely that's backwards?

I would suggest that reading the MOST RECENT tag versions first is more sensible - as that's where any new info added is more likely to be.

Posted Tue 31 May 11 @ 1:07 pm
I will check out ID3TAGIT for more info on my files. But if I'm stripping the tag entirely and writing a brand new ID3V2 tag, and if VDJ is then seeing the info near those small arrows, then really, there's no reason to not populate the field automatically.

I have also tried SCAN FOR TAGS, but that has no effect. And its very curious that the comment DOES appear if I simply rename the file.

Posted Tue 31 May 11 @ 2:11 pm
Trying to quote...

Posted Tue 31 May 11 @ 3:23 pm
54%