Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Ripping Music Video DVD's

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

My new computer will be here Wednesday so I can begin ripping my video DVD's for this program.

How do you guys rip your DVD's? I already have the software to do so. I'm talking about the videos where the music doesn't start right away. For example, BEP - Don't Phunk With My Heart. If you look on the Promo Only DVD then you will see that this song has 2 track listings. The first track listing is for the first 20 seconds of the video where there is no music playing but then the next track listing is actually the start of the music.

Do you simply rip the tracks individually or do you rip them as one whole track? If I do decide to combine the BEP video into one track then will I be able to save a cue point in VDJ so that I can have it start when the music starts?

I bought this program almost two months ago but still haven't really been able to test it because my machines aren't up to speed for video mixing. I can't wait for Wednesday so that I can finally test the software fully.

Posted Mon 18 Jul 05 @ 7:41 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
> How do you guys rip your DVD's? I already have the software to do so. I'm talking about the videos where the music doesn't start right away. For example, BEP - Don't Phunk With My Heart. If you look on the Promo Only DVD then you will see that this song has 2 track listings. The first track listing is for the first 20 seconds of the video where there is no music playing but then the next track listing is actually the start of the music.

I use Xilisoft DVD Ripper to rip the intro track and the real track as separate files and then just delete the intro, though you can rip both tracks into a single file if you chose to.

> If I do decide to combine the BEP video into one track then will I be able to save a cue point in VDJ so that I can have it start when the music starts?

Yup... VDJ let's you set and use cues just like in a song.

Posted Mon 18 Jul 05 @ 5:41 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
I ripp using a program called smart ripper put the dvd in and select a path and go. I don't encode I use vob's directly and it takes about 15 minutes per dvd this way. But have some disk space as it take 8 gig's per dvd :) But the quality is outstanding in fact its dvd quality :)

Posted Mon 18 Jul 05 @ 5:54 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
I agree with Cyder. If you have plenty of disk space or only plan to use a limited number of videos, then go with VOBs. Ripping is so much quicker and quality is so much better. They do take up about 7 times as much disk space as an MPG though.
My original plan was to encode all my classics and then most current few months in VOB format and then convert them to MPG as they get old.

Posted Mon 18 Jul 05 @ 6:20 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Another feature is on long intros you find the first down beat AFTER the splash credits.
It really cleans up the mixing and holds the floor tempo for you rather than lose the grove with 20 second intros with dead air etc.

I'm sure PO and the labels won't like it, but it gets really messy with two spashes up at the same time.

Posted Tue 19 Jul 05 @ 1:22 am
Hi Cyder, did you manage to get round the sound sync problem with vobs and if so, how ?

John

Posted Tue 19 Jul 05 @ 2:43 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)