Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Laptop Earthing

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

PaulyVPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Have searched the forums for this and have not found an answer - so apologies if this is a repeat post.

Am running with Timecoded Vinyl and a laptop.

I have also purchased 2 group loop isolators, one of which I have placed on each deck prior to the Maya 44 inputs. I understand these will help with any potential ground hum issues.

The documentation states that the turntable earths must not be earthed on the mixer, but on the PC itself.

Questions:

1) Why not on the mixer?

2) I have a plastic laptop - given that I have introduced mains loop isolators where should these earths now be connected? Is there anywhere on the laptop I should attach them (and metal part?).

Thanks in anticipation.

Posted Mon 25 Apr 05 @ 1:00 pm
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
PaulyV...I am not certain of the reason it can't be grounded to your mixer, however I know the directions tell you to ground to the laptop. It's easy. Just unscrew a screw at the bottom of your laptop, connect the wire and rescrew it back in your laptop. I chose a screw that was long and near the power supply. Done...works like a charm. I don't use ground loop isolators and have no problem with a hum. I'm sure they won't hurt. I used to use one when I simply went laptop to amp..but since the external setup I haven't had to use them. Good luck and happy mixing.

Posted Mon 25 Apr 05 @ 2:58 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
PaulyV... I don't ground the TT to the laptop. The TT are grounded to the Mixer. Also, you said you are using the Ground loops between the TT and the Maya, you should put them from the Outputs of the Maya to the Mixer Inputs. Try that, BTW I get 100% signal quality all the time.

cstoll

Posted Mon 25 Apr 05 @ 6:27 pm
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
cstoll...do you have TTX's? I have TT500's. I get perfect signal but if I could ground to the mixer it would be easier to unhook the laptop for personal use (although I did install wire connectors which really doesn't make it that difficult). Just curious.

Posted Mon 25 Apr 05 @ 8:39 pm
I have TTx turntables and they do not require any grounding. they are grounded with the power cable directly. Its the same cable as a desktop power cable.

Posted Mon 25 Apr 05 @ 9:56 pm
PaulyVPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Interestingly enough I did have earthing problems when both turntables were earthed to the mixer. When I earthed one to the laptop and the other to the mixer all is fine!

Thanks for your help and hope this may help people too.

best

Pauly

Posted Tue 26 Apr 05 @ 1:01 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
@djej and FYI for all --

My advice on the whole grounding of the TTs to the Laptop - maybe alittle off, do to the nature of the setup I am in. The setup is a club booth and we have a pretty good isolation of our power. This may be the primary reason I don't need to ground the Laptop to the TTs. We use a Allen&Heath rotary for the mixer which has it's own external power supply and like I said we have a pretty good isolation of power.

cstoll

Posted Tue 26 Apr 05 @ 2:29 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)