Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: What equipment do I need for MP3 DJ'ing?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi all....hope someone can help guide me as I am a novice in all of this. I have a laptop and download most songs from my CDs and iTunes in MP3 format. I really want to have a mobile DJ system set up and by reading up was directed to this site. I downloaded the trial version about 10 days ago and think it is great!!! I guess my only reservation is doing everythjing with the keyboard and mouse. Anyway my actual q are:

1) What other software / hardware would I need if I buy the full version?
2) Are portable PA systems any good?
3) Do I need an external mixer?
4) How good is the XP10 I have read so much about?? Is it worth the cost...?

Any help and/or advice greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

Posted Thu 21 Apr 05 @ 8:48 pm
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
1. You wouldn't need anything else. You can control the full version from the keyboard/mouse just as you are doing with the demo
2. I don't own one, but I see them all the time. I'm sure *some* of them are worth your money.
3. "Need"? No. If you plan to play out professionally, you'll probably want one, though.
4. The XP10 is great. I own a pair of them. The price is a bit high, but they are well made and fit perfectly into my mixing style.

Posted Thu 21 Apr 05 @ 8:54 pm
Bargler you beat me by seconds...:)

Looks like u answered all his questions.

MS

Posted Thu 21 Apr 05 @ 8:57 pm
Thanks so much for such quick responses!! Will give the mixer and XP10s some thought; may just get one to start with...

Thanks again...

Posted Thu 21 Apr 05 @ 9:06 pm
behringer are bringing out a new hardware controller with built in soundcards and mixer for about $150us

Posted Thu 21 Apr 05 @ 10:24 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Thats my next move I think.
BTW, the DAC 2 controller works excellent with VDJ since the mapping was released.
If you are used to CD players, this is a good option, fits like a glove.

Posted Fri 22 Apr 05 @ 12:20 am
Thanks again; do you know a good place to check out the the Behringer mixer/controller/sound card or the DAC controller?

Posted Sun 24 Apr 05 @ 3:22 am
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
If you are somewhere near Germany, there is very good shop on net - www.thomann.de
I bought there my XP10s.

Anyway, take a look in my blog for my setup.

Dj Nikki

Posted Sun 24 Apr 05 @ 12:28 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)