Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Humming and airey sound from speakers - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I've just bought a mean set of jbl speakers and a crown amp found that i've been getting humming and airey sound from them....

ARGH!

Any ideas on how to fix this? I've researched and heard it may be a ground looping problem... blah blah not that i'm too familiar with it.

i need help to get rid of it not an explanation of what it is...

somebody help please!

Posted Sat 16 Apr 05 @ 4:42 pm
its ground loop problem! ;)

easy to detect if you have a laptop... try unplug power cord, and if hum goes away when running on batteries = ground loop problem

fixes :
1. connect pc to a non grounded outlet
2. use a powercord extention without ground
3. try different powersockets, with your equipment, to loose the loop
4. get a ground loop eliminator from your local radio store (cheap and good)

Posted Sat 16 Apr 05 @ 4:49 pm
thnx ...

i'll try your suggestions :)

Posted Sat 16 Apr 05 @ 4:52 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Just thank god you haven't had this problem at a gig!, it's happend, especially those who have mobile set-ups, I had this problem to start with too, Dj in norway is right, it's a ground loop problem.

Enjoy being able to play your music loud!.

Posted Sat 16 Apr 05 @ 9:19 pm
djltHome userMember since 2005
Hey,

I have had that exact same problem DJ in Norway!
The whole power to the laptop issue - Tomorrow I'll see if I can find this 'ground loop eliminator'.

Thanx a bunch

Posted Sun 17 Apr 05 @ 7:35 am
Blah... unfortunately I live on the side of the world where a ground loop eliminator isn't available!
I've spoken to the guys who have supplied my audio equipment and they reckon I should speak to the developers of my laptop.

I've got an Acer laptop... suck eh? anyways i've rung them telln them theres a grounding issue with the laptop. Technical support has told me to bring my laptop in and they can test it blah blah. Thing is i don't wanna bother if they can't fix it. They said it can take upto 2weeks.

I can't handle 2 weeks of not being able to play on virtual dj, especially if im not sure they will fix it.

any recommendations? bite the bullet and let them fix it or buy it on ebay where the postage is going to cost more than wat the part is worth?

Posted Mon 18 Apr 05 @ 4:34 am
its usually not a laptop issue.... but the way the power outlets are wired etc

Please try a NON GROUND power outlet, or use a power extention cord that has no ground, and connect your laptop to that

That should work

Posted Mon 18 Apr 05 @ 5:02 am
djltHome userMember since 2005
Mate, All I did was got an old double adaptor, unscrewed it and took the Ground component out, screwed it back together and plugged the laptop power into that.

The speakers are now flawless - Props to DJ Norway.

Posted Mon 18 Apr 05 @ 8:42 am
there you go :)

no ground = no ground loop problems :)

It is for sure a fix for humming!
but now you dont have ground for power at your pc...
dont know if thats a big issue or not...

Maybe someone can say something about it

one way that usually gets rid of ground loop problem and keep system grounded :
- If you have equipments connected to many power outlets, then try to connect them all to one grounded extension cord and then plug this cord to one grounded outlet. This solves usually many problems, because this creates star-like grounding scheme for those equipments.

Posted Mon 18 Apr 05 @ 2:14 pm
anyone in the usa solve the ground loop eliminator problem?
i have a terrible hum in my system
it is from my laptop
when i only use the battery my system is quiet
when i use ac adapter--i have a hum
dj-in-norway told me to get a ground loop eliminator to solve the problem
i bought a HUM X from musicians friend
it was 3 prong in and 3 prong out
it did not solve the problem
www.ebtechaudio.com
if anyone has a web site that you think will help me in the usa please lemme know
thanks all

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 8:00 am
I had the same problem with my dell. Got a little adapter for a few pennies and it solved the problem. The adapter uses 3 prong in and 2 prongs plug into the outlet. Fixed my problem instantly

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 8:49 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
That's a coincidence, I'm after a non grounded extension cable today as I've had this problem at home for ages and it's really ticking me off these days..

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 11:50 am
All you have to do is buy a power extension, with multiple inlets, and brake off the round prong from it, leaving only the two flat prongs, and conect it, there you have solved your problem, and have extra inlets for external drives if you like, without having to worry about the noise.

Hope it help. because it help me a while ago.

Mario

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 3:13 pm
".....brake off the round prong ...."

that is a bit of risky way of doing it, and will for sure not make your warrenty for your PC valid any more.

When I say risky, I mean risky as in CAN KILL YOU...

but it works for damn sure :)

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 4:08 pm
how about if i get a powered surge protector -- everyone i looked at has multiple 3 prong in a of course just one 3 prong out which plugs into the wall AC socket
what if i splice the ac cord and convert it into a 2 prong out which plugs into wall AC socket?
this way i lose the ground wire....
would that work?
thanks all
i'm at my wits end...i'll only book 3 hour gigs and use my laptop battery--hehe

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 4:12 pm
In Europe, its usually pretty easy... as most households have 2 types of power-outlets.. grounded, and non-grounded. All you need to do is connect to non-ground.

In USA and others that have the 3 prong connector, its a bit harder maybe..
You still would only need a non-ground connection to your power (if that kind of cable is available, or a power connection extention cord gives you non-ground)

Finaly, there are lots of other ways :
- ground loop eliminators (sold in local hi fi stores)
- ground loop audio switches etc

for problems about ground loop, read more here :
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/basics.html
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/problem_solving.html

The easy way in USA is to get a "cheater plug" (and not break of the prong).
Like this one :

It is of course not the "safe" way of doing it, but it works ;)

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 4:25 pm
Hi, I have been using laptops on BIG sound systems even before the days of virtualdj, I have suffered from this humming sound and i belive this can be due to two things.

1: earth loop, im thinking its safe to remove the earth from the mains adaptor as the laptop is actually then earthed through the 'ground side' of the audio out. (where the ground loop comes from in the first place)

2: Onboard sound card/ charging circuit on laptop to noisey, I have found that my old IBM 600x was very noisey but the DELL Inspiron 6000 was very quite, My DELL Latitude D600 was also very quite.

Im not sure wether the DELL PSU's are better/at least different or the sound cards better in my DELL but this is the result i got.

On my noisey IBM i turned up the laptop volume up to full (master and wave) then providing a song didn't have a quite break you couldn't hear the humm! OK it's cheating a bit but it worked!

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 7:58 pm
I fixed my problem after a few suggestions from norway and djilt.

"All I did was got an old double adaptor, unscrewed it and took the Ground component out, screwed it back together and plugged the laptop power into that"

Simple & crude but it works!

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 8:51 pm
cyberiaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Well, I thought I got rid of that "hummm" once and for all when I bought the three-to-two prong adapter. The noise disappeared until I arrived at my New Year's gig. There, I had to use a long extension cord which I plugged my adapter into. The familiar humming resurfaced and I was a bit on the edge all night.

I am going to try the loop eliminator next--seems to be a safer option which I hope will work in ALL cases.

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 8:53 pm
I had the same problem. I eliminated it with a cheap ground loop isolator from Radio Shack!!! Only $16.00.

Posted Thu 05 Jan 06 @ 2:04 am
71%