Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: New to Lighting: Any way to get VDJ to do simple lighting?
I currently have a Chauvet GigBAR Move and 2 Chauvet Slim Pars I use in full Music sensing mode which works well enough for most of the music I play, but when I play a slow dance at a wedding, I would like to be able to set the lights to a solid color. I have found the foot pedal to be unresponsive and the remote to be finicky to accomplish this task, which takes away from experience.

I know very little about lighting outside of pressing buttons, but is there any way to hook the lights up to the PC and use VirtualDJ to automatically switch light profiles on song play for specific songs, like slow songs, or at least give me a toolbar or panel to click a button to turn the lights a solid color then back to music mode? What all hardware and/or software would I need and how complicated is the setup?

Also, I thought about adding a Chauvet Rotosphere down the road to activate for slow dances like a disco ball or potentially multicolored disco lights for fast songs. It would be nice to have future expansion to be able to turn it on and off those modes as well. If this isn't possible that's ok, as it's just a thought right now.

Posted Thu 16 May 24 @ 4:41 am
I do this via Chauvet Showxpress.

You will need a DMX module like the one below for the software to communicate with the lighting.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Xpress512S--chauvet-dj-xpress-512s-512-ch-usb-dmx-interface

You can trigger scenes or individual commands in VDJ by enabling os2l in settings then using action os2l_button 'your command' in either a custom button or a POI where the command will trigger when a track reaches a certain point.

Here is a screenshot of the banks of custom buttons you can create direct in VDJ so you can control your scenes without changing screens.

Posted Thu 16 May 24 @ 7:05 am
I so wish this worked with SoundSwitch. I dream of being able to do things from VDJ.....

Also what skin is that Keith??

Posted Thu 16 May 24 @ 5:11 pm
Full Automatic DMX = Maestro DMX..Super simple. For the next level purchase ADJ MyDMX Go & use the LightRider App. Advanced (free dmx) user try software QLC+ and an EnTTec DMX Pro module.

Posted Thu 16 May 24 @ 5:50 pm
Hey Huey it's a modified version of Blocks by DJDad with two banks of 32 custom buttons (or one of 64)

I use one bank for the Chauvet Intimidator Hybrid 140SR heads and the other for the Eqinox Vortex.

Works absolutely perfectly.

Posted Thu 16 May 24 @ 6:33 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
I do this via Chauvet Showxpress.

You will need a DMX module like the one below for the software to communicate with the lighting.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Xpress512S--chauvet-dj-xpress-512s-512-ch-usb-dmx-interface

You can trigger scenes or individual commands in VDJ by enabling os2l in settings then using action os2l_button 'your command' in either a custom button or a POI where the command will trigger when a track reaches a certain point.

Here is a screenshot of the banks of custom buttons you can create direct in VDJ so you can control your scenes without changing screens.

This looks fantastic and pretty much what I'm looking for. It might be a bit before I get there though because I was not expecting a USB device to be almost $400, ouch. Time to start advertising and getting more gigs. Thanks for the info!

Posted Wed 22 May 24 @ 9:40 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
I so wish this worked with SoundSwitch

Can be done, either mac or pc, I know SSwtch half implemented OS2L so I went the midi route.

This is 256 possible notes over a few channels, it works with live input skin or hardware calling the skin. It can optionally used to set action poi to call midi.
The buttons are blank because I haven't given them a name.
The window can be controlled by hardware , and can be dropped in any skin or remodelled, integrated, cut down, expanded into a skin. [even drop something like it into a remote skin]

I initially made it for a guy really into his lamping, it's actually running on a few machines around the world. Pros understand the value of this.
I'm done with dealing with most of the "new to lamping" crowd they take too much time to work with and they don't see the value of what I've actually made. [there have been a few forum regulars who are an exception to this, new to lamping but are still a professional's professional]

The magic bit is the virtual device that sends midi out of vdj, and I have the definition file and mapping wrote up for both mac & pc.

Posted Wed 22 May 24 @ 10:01 pm