Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Library Question
Just curious, because I can work around it.

But is there an option to see only songs in the "library", similar to the "All" folder in Serato? A bit of background. I use Lexicon to manage and organize my music library, as I use both Serato and VirtualDJ (depending on the situation) to keep my library identical across both platforms. I have a LOT of music on my drive that I DON'T use to DJ with, which is another plus of using Lexicon, as I can only put what I want in there, and not have the extra clutter. When I sync, I get the playlists synced, but I don't have a way to see all the music that I have added in one place in VDJ without going to the original track locations and sifting through.

Is there a function in VDJ similar to the "All..." folder in Serato?

Posted Sun 05 May 24 @ 4:04 pm
Type * in the search field

Posted Sun 05 May 24 @ 6:04 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
Type * in the search field

Wow...never knew that, but not quite what I was looking for, as I see tracks from the drive that I didn't specifically add. Something tells me it will be a bit more complicated than I was hoping. I would probably have to either individually, or in batches, remove songs from the search db...*shrug*...Sometimes the flexibility and ease of use backfires on my individual workflow...

Posted Sun 05 May 24 @ 6:12 pm
Given Lexicon is adding the songs in the synced playlist to the VirtualDJ database, you can create a filter folder to show all songs in the database (name it All):

exists=1

You can even get more granular by using other options (e.g. days since first seen to narrow it down a set number of days before the most current sync).
Note, this is assuming that you are only adding songs you would want to play into VirtualDJ and not the rest. If you are not soing that (i.e. you are adding all songs and detemining what you want to actually play after) you'll need to keep the synced lexicon playlists (they are already narrowed down) or you'll have to use some sort of marker tag field to differentiate (I use the rating field for that, and my filters check for a file rating in order to include it in the filter listing).

See the following for more info:

Filter Folders/Quick Filters are only a few things that the VirtualDJ Library/Database management offers. Checkout the Database section of the VirtualDJ manual for more info.

Posted Mon 06 May 24 @ 5:08 am
DJ VinylTouch wrote :
Given Lexicon is adding the songs in the synced playlist to the VirtualDJ database, you can create a filter folder to show all songs in the database (name it All):

exists=1

You can even get more granular by using other options (e.g. days since first seen to narrow it down a set number of days before the most current sync).
Note, this is assuming that you are only adding songs you would want to play into VirtualDJ and not the rest. If you are not soing that (i.e. you are adding all songs and detemining what you want to actually play after) you'll need to keep the synced lexicon playlists (they are already narrowed down) or you'll have to use some sort of marker tag field to differentiate (I use the rating field for that, and my filters check for a file rating in order to include it in the filter listing).

See the following for more info:

Filter Folders/Quick Filters are only a few things that the VirtualDJ Library/Database management offers. Checkout the Database section of the VirtualDJ manual for more info.

As long as I have used VDJ, that's the part I still haven't really dug enough into...how to ONLY include the songs I want (i.e. those that I have purposely added to playlists and/or the database) and not simply those that exist on my hard drive.

Posted Tue 07 May 24 @ 12:24 am
So there are two related but distinct concepts that apply here, which may be helpful:

1. The database of songs itself
    This is all of the songs that VirtualDJ knows about/encountered while running/exploring folders - a combination of all of the entries of the database.xml files on each connected drive.
  2. The Search Database
    This is the listing of songs that can be included in search results (from search text in the search bar), and probably what you are thinking of when you think of the All option in Serato.
    By default, VirtualDJ adds all songs encountered to the SearchDB, but this can be changed by setting autoSearchDB=false. You can also remove files from the search database via the right clck context menu on files/folders

Given all of that explanation, you can see that all songs in 2) are also in 1), but not all songs in 1) are in 2).
You can use that as one way of narrowing down things (only include things into your search DB that you know you will play).
You can also use other schemes as well (like the special tag based scheme I described above). You have the flexibilty to decide how to narrow it down.

Posted Tue 07 May 24 @ 12:58 am
DJ VinylTouch wrote :
So there are two related but distinct concepts that apply here, which may be helpful:

1. The database of songs itself
    This is all of the songs that VirtualDJ knows about/encountered while running/exploring folders - a combination of all of the entries of the database.xml files on each connected drive.
  2. The Search Database
    This is the listing of songs that can be included in search results (from search text in the search bar), and probably what you are thinking of when you think of the All option in Serato.
    By default, VirtualDJ adds all songs encountered to the SearchDB, but this can be changed by setting autoSearchDB=false. You can also remove files from the search database via the right clck context menu on files/folders

Given all of that explanation, you can see that all songs in 2) are also in 1), but not all songs in 1) are in 2).
You can use that as one way of narrowing down things (only include things into your search DB that you know you will play).
You can also use other schemes as well (like the special tag based scheme I described above). You have the flexibilty to decide how to narrow it down.

That made SOOOOO much sense, and has started me down the rabbit hole. As long as I have used VDJ (since 2007), I haven't really differentiated in my mind between that database and the search db. Thanks a million.

Posted Tue 07 May 24 @ 3:54 am
Tbh it took me a bit of time as well to understand the difference - none of the other software I used before had this separation, it was in collection + searchvor not, and it seemed weird to me at first. However I then realized how it could be used to my advantage - there are many times you may want to have processing of a song (BPM/cue points, autogain) but not actually have it searchable (e.g. wedding formality songs/other requested sons I would never play/use otherwise). I only add songs to the search database if I figure it will be reused/has potential to be used in future gigs.

The collection management features of VirtualDJ are truly top notch once you think of it (and the new Cloud Sync has no match currently). Yes, they are working through issues that still exist, but Atomix devs don't get enough credit for what they have put out and have made possible through the collection features IMO 🍺.

Posted Tue 07 May 24 @ 11:18 am
DJ VinylTouch wrote :
Tbh it took me a bit of time as well to understand the difference - none of the other software I used before had this separation, it was in collection + searchvor not, and it seemed weird to me at first. However I then realized how it could be used to my advantage - there are many times you may want to have processing of a song (BPM/cue points, autogain) but not actually have it searchable (e.g. wedding formality songs/other requested sons I would never play/use otherwise). I only add songs to the search database if I figure it will be reused/has potential to be used in future gigs.

Absolutely spot on!!! And the commnuity is so helpful as well. I have used VDJ in the past as my main kit (many years ago), moved away from it, and have come back full circle, and even then, my newbie-ish questions are met with answers rather than ridicule and sarcasm. They truly are building something for everybody in the software.

DJ VinylTouch wrote :

The collection management features of VirtualDJ are truly top notch once you think of it (and the new Cloud Sync has no match currently). Yes, they are working through issues that still exist, but Atomix devs don't get enough credit for what they have put out and have made possible through the collection features IMO 🍺.

Posted Tue 07 May 24 @ 8:33 pm