Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Need help
I mixed Gap Band let it whip with Michael Jackson Working day and night but it sounded like trash in Virtual DJ. I tried adjusting the crossfader to smooth and full but I can never get it to sound right. What am I doing wrong? I need some help. I have Auto Bpm off should I turn this on? I need some help with this software. I've been reading and watching videos but nothing. Some songs sound good some bad. I just wanna know the best settings for doing stuff like this.

Posted Thu 09 May 24 @ 8:05 pm
Not enough information. What exactly is wrong with the sound?

Using terms such as "bad", "trash" or "doesn't sound right" isn't sufficient for people to understand the issue.

Also, 'Let It Whip' is not by the Gap Band.

Posted Thu 09 May 24 @ 8:15 pm
I meant Dazz Band. I can't really get my mixes to sound right blended together. What Crossfader settings should I use? I can't really explain it. I just wanna know the best settings to get my songs sounding better. Like should I use Auto Bpm or Auto Key? I've been messing around with it for a while now but it seems like beat matching some songs don't sound blended together well even if the songs have a close Bpm. I haven't really learned to mix by key yet. I'm making something simple out of something hard. I hope you understand stand what I'm trying to say. I also what alot of YouTube videos. Maybe I should read the manual.

Posted Thu 09 May 24 @ 11:27 pm
well yes, you should ABSOLUTELY read the manuals for both the software and the controller.
and remember that live recordings before the days of digitals studios are not going to be computer perfect when it comes to staying on the beat. takes some hands on work to make that happen.

Posted Fri 10 May 24 @ 12:01 am
Hey another thing whenever I'm recording a mix in Virtual DJ some songs be louder and some lower. I had the crossfader on full? How can I fix this? What's it best to have ZeroDB set to in the settings? I know it's not gonna be sounding perfect but right now I have it at -12dB.

Posted Fri 10 May 24 @ 9:05 am
I just want my songs whenever I'm mixing to have the same Volumes. Whenever I flanger the song gets louder. I recorded a long mix and went back and listened to it. While I was doing the mix it sounded alright but when I went and listened to the recording some songs where louder some lower.

Posted Fri 10 May 24 @ 9:17 am
That's where practice and experience comes in. Software gives you the tools but there's still some manual intervention required.

Posted Fri 10 May 24 @ 9:23 am
Why when I have the auto gain on in Settings? Sometimes my gain knobs still turn? Is this normal?

Posted Fri 10 May 24 @ 6:16 pm
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
You can still override auto gain by turning the knobs.

Posted Fri 10 May 24 @ 8:14 pm
Yea that's what I've been doing adjusting as I Mix.

Posted Sat 11 May 24 @ 12:53 am
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
You shouldn’t need to touch the gain controls while you are mixing. Normally the level adjustments are done via fader or crossfader.

Posted Sat 11 May 24 @ 3:45 am
Exactly. The phrase 'autogain' is made up of two words - auto and gain.

The first word is an abbreviation of automatic, which is the opposite of manual i.e. the gain is taken care of by the software. You don't need to touch it.

Posted Sat 11 May 24 @ 8:57 am
It might be they are using mp3 of varying quality and on my FLX4 Decks. I use the trim knob to adjust the volume of the of the track via headphones or via VU meter on each deck.

Posted Sat 11 May 24 @ 5:51 pm