Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: File synchronize....
One of the biggest pains with just about any DJ software...is being able to make changes on one computer... and transfer them to other computers.

I'm a mobile DJ, I have a main office computer, a main laptop and a backup laptop. Normally I work on playlists on my main office computer, as it has two BIG monitors, that makes it easy to do research and pull files. Currently I still have to use Apple iTunes to do this, as it is the easiest to use and update my main and backup laptop. However iTunes continues to get worse and worse...constantly locking up and being a general pain in the ass.

On top of that, if I set cue points on my main laptop... I have to do the same thing on my backup for any event where I plan on doing some serious mixing.... which is even more of a pain in the ass.

It would be SO NICE, If I could do all my playlist editing in VDJ, including cue points, as well as when I make new samples, add new filters... or any changes for that matter, if I had a software sycronize feature that I could automatically have all the changes update on my other computers. Whether its a cloud thing where I update a cloud profile, then download that profile to my other computers, or even just have them on a wifi network and have them syncronize.

The sychronize would copy all my playlists, new files, new samples, cue points, etc...

Hell I'd pay $10-$20 a month to have that feature.

Posted Thu 27 Jul 23 @ 6:21 pm
You can use cloud services to achieve that already. Assuming you're on Windows you can just change the VDJ home folder location.

You can also easily use an external drive and a program like Synchredible which will only copy over any changes made to your music or VDJ folder.

I do the same as you, video editing and prep on my main machine then sync to my gig machine using option 2 and it works perfectly every time.

Posted Thu 27 Jul 23 @ 6:30 pm
I just use an external drive and plug into any PC i want to dj with
Also i keep and exact copy of that drive as a backup

Posted Thu 27 Jul 23 @ 7:20 pm
gvastePRO InfinityMember since 2019
you can use syncthing to have a mirror of the config and library on different machines.

Posted Fri 28 Jul 23 @ 6:43 am
kradcliffe wrote :
You can use cloud services to achieve that already. Assuming you're on Windows you can just change the VDJ home folder location.

You can also easily use an external drive and a program like Synchredible which will only copy over any changes made to your music or VDJ folder.

I do the same as you, video editing and prep on my main machine then sync to my gig machine using option 2 and it works perfectly every time.

Hello

But if you are using VDJ at the same time on Windows and MacOS with external drives, it doesn't work or you can't do it easily. (problem with macos and windows paths)

Definitely developers should find solutions for that.

In rekordbox, for instance, you can have one and only database (files, and streaming tracks) on external drive and you can plug to any computer with RB and it works out of the box.

I prefer VDJ than RB beside this issue of course ! ;)

Posted Thu 10 Aug 23 @ 11:06 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
External drive should work just as well between mac and windows. What issue with paths do you have exactly in that case?

Posted Thu 10 Aug 23 @ 11:39 am
I had similar issues trying to work between Windows and Mac. The database ended up a train wreck. I'm all windows again and it's fine.

Posted Thu 10 Aug 23 @ 12:44 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
I had similar issues trying to work between Windows and Mac. The database ended up a train wreck. I'm all windows again and it's fine.

Yes, the same situation on Mac...

The solution could be one, central database for all VDJ instances (different computers / platforms) on the external disk NAS, or in the cloud (supported by VDJ software)

Posted Sun 13 Aug 23 @ 12:31 pm
Adion wrote :
External drive should work just as well between mac and windows. What issue with paths do you have exactly in that case?

Windows doesn't recognize / change MacOs paths for instance for the same track:

On Macs you have:

<song path="/Volumes/MUZYKA/### My Music ###/Creeds - Push Up (Payback Remix).wav" size="63506710" songlength="240.0" bpm="140.004" artist="Creeds" title="Push Up (Payback Remix)" idx="13" />

On Windows it should be

<song path="F:\### My Music ###\Creeds - Push Up (Payback Remix).wav" size="63506710" songlength="240.0" bpm="140.004" artist="Creeds" title="Push Up (Payback Remix)" idx="13" />

If Windows doesn't recognize path, the track is not visible on prepared on MacoS playlist in Windows.
It's hard to maintain...

Posted Sun 13 Aug 23 @ 7:36 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
That shouldn't matter for tracks on the external drive though, vdj will replace the drive letter with the drive's path on opening.
The same for virtual folders on the drive

Posted Sun 13 Aug 23 @ 7:47 pm
Adion wrote :
That shouldn't matter for tracks on the external drive though, vdj will replace the drive letter with the drive's path on opening.
The same for virtual folders on the drive

Yes, I counted on that, but anytime I plug the disk to Windows machine, many tracks on playlist are not recognized because of path. I have to change paths manually. Mayby kind of bug?

Best regards

Posted Sun 13 Aug 23 @ 7:58 pm
Exact same thoughts here - please devs improve the auto synching with other machines? I prep on my PC at home, the play out on laptop.

Sync software from PC to external HD to laptop to go play a gig is a nuisance, prone to human error, forgetting to sync, forgetting the HD at home, things going wrong, etc.....

Also my laptop screen is much smaller than PC so I have different settings, synching everything changes things I dont want to change. its a lot of work trying to figure out exactly which files and folders to copy, *even then* I have issue that my laptop sidelist never ever get overwritten by any sync software, I have to delete the one on my laptop then copy it manually.

Lots of work for something that should be quite simple.

Posted Thu 16 May 24 @ 6:57 am