Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: automatically include date and time in recording filename
Hi, my 10-year-old Mac finally died last week (RIP - 10 years isn't bad going!) and I'm now setting up my new one, trying to remember all my various settings, etc.

There is a way to get the timestamp in the filename of all recordings, but that feature doesn't seem to be documented in the manual as far as I can see.

I've been using Virtual DJ for 15 years and only discovered that recordings could have the timestamp in them automatically a couple of years ago - I've got a feeling I found it in a comment on a YouTube video or Facebook post, or something similar.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Posted Tue 05 Dec 23 @ 10:50 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
%date, %time and %venue in record file name to be filled in when recording starts

%date_myMix
would become
2023-12-05_myMix

Posted Tue 05 Dec 23 @ 10:53 pm
Amazing, exactly what I needed, and such a fast reply!

Thanks so much.

If any of the developers happen to read this, it would be worth adding this very helpful feature to the manual, and even, dare I say it, having this enabled by default on fresh installs?

Posted Tue 05 Dec 23 @ 11:11 pm
or just look in file properties and add to tag info? it's not like it isn't already part of the file info for date created.
seems like shortcut to what's already there for the user

Posted Wed 06 Dec 23 @ 1:19 am
Only 5 months later I noticed your reply, sorry!

For me, having the date in the file name is handy because I have the recording all save into my dropbox folder, and often use the dropbox phone app to listen back to my mixes from gigs at a later date.

So the file ‘2023-12-31-recording.mp3” is going be easier to find my New Year’s Eve gig recording than looking for “recording(112).mp3” in the dropbox app and then having to find the created on date to find the right recording.

If anybody else reading is as disorganised and forgetful as I am, the auto-start recording feature and this date in the file name trick are a handy little things for making sure I can listen back to my sets after my gigs for self development purposes. I went for years only remembering to record my sets every once in a while!

Posted Thu 16 May 24 @ 11:14 pm