Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: FLAC SUPPORT?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Will there ever be support for the popular lossess codec FLAC?..

Posted Mon 05 Nov 07 @ 7:47 pm
I don't know. Maybe it's not as popular as you think, since they seem to support all the other codecs.

Posted Mon 05 Nov 07 @ 10:16 pm
please look into it, it is open source.

FLAC = Free Lossless Audio Codec

"Flac, an audio format similar to MP3, but lossless, meaning that audio is compressed in FLAC without any loss in quality. This is similar to how Zip works, except with FLAC you will get much better compression because it is designed specifically for audio, and you can play back compressed FLAC files in your favorite player (or your car or home stereo, see supported devices) just like you would an MP3 file.

FLAC stands out as the fastest and most widely supported lossless audio codec, and the only one that at once is non-proprietary, is unencumbered by patents, has an open-source reference implementation, has a well documented format and API, and has several other independent implementations."

This technology will allow people who use WAV to compress to FLAC to save hard disk space. FLAC's can be played as is, or uncompressed back to WAV with no loss in quality. I don't think WMP supports it yet, but winamp does. Should not be too hard to incorporate, since it's open source, and the code is readily available.

Posted Mon 05 Nov 07 @ 11:10 pm
Hi Guys

I have had FLAC working on virtual DJ .....

you need ro download some additional codecs

Do a search for "oggcodecs" in google, download and install into windows.

Then i think i selected a diffrent codec in Virtual DJ ... ogg or one of them ?

Then it work fine .. could drop flac files on to the decks and they played just fine

It took a little while and a bit of brain power to conquer but I got there in the end.. keep trying Flac Can Work In Virtual DJ

The Key Is The Additional Windows Codecs (oggcodecs_0.71.0946.exe)

Regards

John

Posted Tue 06 Nov 07 @ 5:18 am
VOG_PRO InfinityMember since 2006
I know that the codecs can be added and thanks for that but I would love this added as a standard feature.

Posted Tue 06 Nov 07 @ 1:50 pm

Posted Tue 06 Nov 07 @ 9:35 pm
Well done jaydc303

Told u it would work, I did it last christmas... before anyone was getting excited about flack !!

at the moment all my music is in wav format, but this is the way forward.

regards

John

Posted Tue 06 Nov 07 @ 9:41 pm
Is there a way to use FLAC with Virtual DJ on a Mac?

Posted Mon 12 Oct 09 @ 8:31 pm
OMG yes VDJ supports FLAC! For a looong time now. That is the main reason I decided to go with VDJ in the first place late last year, then when I finally did go "PRO" I realized all of the other great thing about the program.

Serato STILL does not support FLAC and probably won't for a long time. I would have to say that about 30 percent of my music files are in FLAC and I have over 2 terabytes of music alone.

DJ RuDe

Posted Tue 13 Oct 09 @ 2:01 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
As above you can use FLAC with the Internal audio decoder; I prefer to use oggcodecs and the general windows media player audio decoder.

Posted Tue 13 Oct 09 @ 6:19 am
I'm going to post this in Mac Technical Assistance area then because I'm running Virtual Vinyl and I had to manually add the flac extension so it would even see the files, but no matter what codec I set to decode it displays error.

Posted Thu 15 Oct 09 @ 3:17 pm
To follow up I just got FLAC to work on mac using the Internal Video Decoder codec. There is no Internal Audio Codec listed.

Posted Tue 31 Aug 10 @ 7:54 am
ewitlesPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Only partial support. When tags are read, then I will fully convert over. Now, might be in portions.

Posted Tue 31 Aug 10 @ 9:12 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)