Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Budget Turntables For Timecode/Scratching

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I'm looking at buying a set of Budget turntables for the sole purpose of Scratching in VDJ. I've never actually owned a pair of turntables funnily enough, so I'd like to ask those of you who are familiar with Turntables, which are the best Budget Turntables? something simular to the Technics 1210s if possible as these are in every club I work at (obviously).

Also are there any of you satisfied with the Hercules MK2 Soundcard when in Timecoded Vinyl mode? If not I'll have the inconvenience of shelling out on yet another soundcard.

Cheers guys.

Posted Mon 12 Feb 07 @ 11:01 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
for magic special offers on decks and insane prices

www.decks.co.uk =)

as to the mk2 im hooked , you can using the method on my blog run the mk2 at 2 ms latency which is alot less than alot of cards :)

Posted Mon 12 Feb 07 @ 11:10 pm
I had only used Technics 1200's and black 1210 MK2's since when I started spinning in 1987 until a little over 3 years ago. Of course nothing compares when it comes to durability and reliability, but now there are quite a few options out there for the budget minded.

I picked up a pair of Numark TT-200 Direct Drive tables and they worked fine the whole time that I was using them with Finl Scratch up until I bought VDJ almost a year ago. Other than price, the BIG bonus for me at least, was that the turntables are SO much lighter than 1200's, which if you do mobiles and sometimes find that you have to do gigs on your own (my crew and dj partners often get booked for several events on the same nights so we all have to go solo sometimes), the fact that you can EASILY carry both turntables at the same time (one in each hand because they have a convenient hand grip on the underside) is a very welcome feature. Cuts down on extra trips to and from the car and/or a lot of extra weight.

I don't know about other budget turntables from other manufacturers (Vestax, Gemini, Stanton, etc.) because I haven't tried them, but I'm sure they're all pretty close in features and quality. There are quite a few now at that $150 price point.

Just make sure to get Direct Drive (NOT belt drive) and as far as the "Straight Arm vs. S-Curve Arm" debate, I can use either for scratching and turntable tricks so I have no preference.

It's a poor turntablist that blames the turntable. ;)

Enjoy the art of turntablism Bagpuss! =)

- VT ConQuest
(Visual Turntablist)

Posted Tue 13 Feb 07 @ 7:54 am
i use omnitronic dd-3220 no problem same like technics but half price.

Posted Tue 13 Feb 07 @ 1:15 pm
I had a pair of Numark TT1650s as spares and they were OK for general use. Not like the Technics but pretty good and a lot lighter if you want to cart them about. You could get a pair on Ebay for £130 - £170 I would have thought, probably with decent cartridges fitted. They're only £210 a pair brand new

http://www.djstore.co.uk/cgi-bin/item.pl?item=numtt1650&page=&sort=rating&terms=seldecks-ah5aaa

If you want to go the whole hog get some SL1210s. Nothing to beat them. Good ones on Ebay for around £350 - £400 with carts. You can always sell again and maybe make a tenner. ;-) As Conquest saidk, bl***** heavy to carry around though if you do mobile.
Hope you get fixed up

A

Posted Tue 13 Feb 07 @ 2:25 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
Well the keyword you used was *budget* a very hard word to swallow when it follows anything to do with djing. I think you best bet is to see what your options are 1st.

Your best bet is to try and find some good used 1200's.

You can also try these OEM versions http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-PL120-Professional-Direct-Drive-Turntable/dp/B00012EYNG/sr=8-4/qid=1171373515/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4/105-6315579-7077202?ie=UTF8&s=electronics I have heard they are good but might be a little lighter then actual 1200's

Numarks are good, tt 200's will give you 1.7 for torque tt 500's are about double that 3.5 (i think)

other then that Gemini TT02's are about the same as numarks tt200 and Gemini TT04's(roc raida said he like using them) are similar to tt500's

Posted Tue 13 Feb 07 @ 2:56 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
got the tt500s miself and they are a good buy, £400 the pair, and im feeling what conquest is saying about the nice handles underneath the side, the tt200 is a good buy for the money but see if you can spot some second hand numarks out there, tt500s are quite reliable (tho doubtles not QUITE as reliable as 1200s). what im saying is if you buy a well treated one it will last forever and they are good decks, especialy for scratching, even better for scratching tho are the vestax decks like the PDXs. good reliability but not such a big image as techs, hence the reson they often go for a better price second hand.

technics are like houses, theyre not going anywhere in a hurry and treat them well and they can almost GAIN value.
EDIT: also tt200s will have about as much torque as a 1200 so you can get used to scratching on something similarly strong motored. the tt500s have 4.7kg btw

Posted Tue 13 Feb 07 @ 10:22 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Thanks for the feedback guys,
I'll probably opt for a second hand Technics 1210 or the Numark tt200/500. Another issue is that the clubs I work at don't have working crossfaders, and it can be quite a stretch from the channel fader to the left deck, hmm this is where an XP10 has the advantage.

Posted Wed 14 Feb 07 @ 12:22 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)