Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Auto Gain - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Sorry, this forum is for English language messages only.

Please either post your message again in English or use the appropriate language forum at the bottom of http://www.virtualdj.com/forums to post in your own language.

Posted Sun 21 Apr 13 @ 10:46 am
There was a recent post from someone having issues with auto gain levels. Despite auto being ON, he's finding the output limiter is kicking in.

I'd like to suggest an option to set the dB level that autogain works to, so that if you find autogain is setting levels too high, you can decrease the ceiling by a few dB (similar to the output headroom adjustment).

Apparently (according to a teamer post) the VDJ output limiter is applied before the master volume control, which seems a bit odd because you can't just lower the master volume if the limiter is being triggered.

Therefore, being able to control the autogain level would be one way around the problem.

Posted Mon 30 Dec 13 @ 11:52 am
Actually you "can" change the auto-gain setting from within the registry:

ZeroDB: the actual formula used in VirtualDJ to compute the volume is to do an RMS (= Root Mean Square) on 11.6 ms windows
(mathematically speaking that means the square root of the sum over 512 samples of the square of the mono signal, divided by 512), and smooth it on a shifting square window of length 64. The volume is the median of the results.

So if you divide the ZeroDB value by two in the registry, you'll effectively divide the signal by two in virtualdj if its gain is set to 0db, compared to the original ZeroDB's autogain.

By default it's 8231 (makes 0db on soundcard).

=> dB = 20 * log10 (x/8231)

you can change it to calibrate the output of the soundcard.

For example:
use 5827 in order to have -3dB applied for auto-gain
(the gain knob will automatically be set at the position as if you did -3dB with ZeroDB=8231 but will display 0db)
Use 6172 for -2.5dB

It's on the WiKi... ;)

Posted Mon 30 Dec 13 @ 11:22 pm
Yes thanks, a teamer in the original thread told me!

I've now set mine to -1dB but it would be nice to have that facility in the software options (or just make the autogain work better) rather than having it hidden away in the registry and using obscure numerical formulas to work out the levels.

Posted Tue 31 Dec 13 @ 6:57 am
Seeing as we've been told there will be no need for a registry tool in v8, I hoping this has been surfaced in a user friendly way.

Also would be good to see it recognise the well established soundcards/controllers and adjust accordingly as described above.

Cheers,

Roy

Posted Thu 02 Jan 14 @ 2:50 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I hope it gets sorted in V8, my auto gain always (not always but 90% of the time) set's it too low, it appears to be perfect for 2 decks in the middle of the crossfader (just touching max for the output) but I'm on a external mixer. Thank science for gain remember.

Posted Fri 03 Jan 14 @ 3:57 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)