Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Sort music by date?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I would REALLY like a way to sort my music by date, just like clicking on "year" in winamp media library. Is there a way to do this? Right now I keep new stuff in seperate folders to make finding it easier. When I used vinyl I would only bring new stuff/popular old stuff with me so i could flip through fast and find somthing. With vdj im looking at THOUSANDS of songs, even though i have each genre in a seperate folder. How can I sort the list by date in the mp3 tag?

--John

Posted Tue 24 Oct 06 @ 11:53 am
It is not possible yet directly. It has been discussed several times to make it possible to use more id3 tags. Maybe in future versions this will be possible. What you could do before your gig is sorting them in Winamp. Then create a playlist (m3u file) from it. Then open this playlist in VDJ.
Ewout

Posted Tue 24 Oct 06 @ 7:28 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Is "Date Modified" which appears in the Windows Explorer part of id3tag?

Posted Tue 24 Oct 06 @ 9:51 pm
No it is not part of the id3 tag, but it is a property of the file. Winamp reads both the file properties as well as the id3 tag. You could sort on both types of properties.
Ewout

Posted Tue 24 Oct 06 @ 10:40 pm
DjGazUKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
The way I do it is to put everything in folders "80's" "90's" etc for each type of music... Rock, Indie, Dance etc... Takes a while finding out the dates ( http://www.everyhit.com helps). But that seems to work OK for me.

Also it would be good to sort the songs in "date added" order. As I get lots of new dance tunes, and can never remember what they are called, I just remember adding it and thinking "I'll play that later" but can never find it. So sorting by date added would be handy. Sometimes, but not allways they do appear at the bottom of the list, but I have no idea why?

Posted Fri 27 Oct 06 @ 2:58 am
I know it can be sorted by 'date created' in Windows Media Player, no idea if it could be transferred to VDJ in anyway, but judging from the other replies, I'm guessing not....

Posted Fri 27 Oct 06 @ 4:23 am
I would love "date added" too. For now I add tracks, and before I analyse, put them in beat order. This way they all the new songs go to the bottom of the list. Then I go into comments and add a four digit year and month (YYMM) this way it sorts them into date order. Then I analyse the tracks. All takes time but works ok once done

Posted Fri 27 Oct 06 @ 11:58 am
Dj-LosPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Funny things VDJ does, you can see your current ID3 tags by right clicking on the song, in which year is one of the fields, but they can only show in the columns artist, track comment, bpm.

If you want to, only as a work around (typical VDJ) use the comment field to copy what ever info you desire into it.

Again any of these fields should be user selectable/assignable.

The simple things seem to completely elude VDJ.

-Dj Los

Posted Fri 27 Oct 06 @ 4:09 pm
I asked a VDJ "techie" when Better ID3 Tag Support would be implemented and I was told "NEVER NATIVELY AS IT'S TOO SLOW BUT THERE ARE PLUG-INS AVAILABLE" I cannot for the life of me find such as plug in.

Also I can't understand them saying it's too slow. They only need to be read once and stored in the database (Like PCDJ Does when you update the recordcase)

Posted Fri 03 Nov 06 @ 2:08 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)