Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Norway might make iTunes DRM policy illegal ;) - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

We can be taken as "we, the Mac community".

In my case however, I formerly had a fruit logo on my paycheck and still specialize in products with that same logo. ;)

Posted Tue 13 Jun 06 @ 8:24 pm
had a hunch you worked for Apple;) hehe...

Hope to get a lot of Apple users here when VDJ4/Numark VV is out... I bet there will be a lot of heat on forum, to what platform and OS works best;) hehe

And dont get me wrong.. I posted the thread about iTunes kinda as a joke..

I perfectly understand that anti-piracy measurements are needed for the music scene.. although I do think iTunes trying to enforce songs to be played on iPods is taking it a bit far..

Anyways, I support LEGAL sale of music, and DRM... as long as its sensitible towards the consumers.

I dont know the iTunes story enough to say if its way out of order, or not... Just saw that Norway (and some other contries) reacted strong to the EULA.

;)

Posted Tue 13 Jun 06 @ 8:30 pm
Maybe the 'Mac community' can't afford the professional edition. Shame.

Posted Tue 13 Jun 06 @ 8:31 pm
ConQuest already stated he would, when Mac version is out;)

And get ready for lots more to come Asymptote:) hehe...
We are up for a lot of discussions on mac vs pc's at this forum in the near future I bet ;)

Lets crack out our best arguments for PC's... and be ready with heavy arsenal when the Mac community comes here...hehe;)

ConQuest already made a lot of mac users curious, at some other forum... about VDJ. Thanx:)

Posted Tue 13 Jun 06 @ 8:36 pm
asymptote wrote :
Maybe the 'Mac community' can't afford the professional edition. Shame.

Actually we can afford quality, and realize the importance of it as being the main contribution to a reliable and stable user experience.

That's why we use Macs. We won't settle for windows... I mean, less. ; )

Posted Tue 13 Jun 06 @ 9:12 pm
Sorry - Should be more attentive - Didn't realize that VDJ wasn't on Macs. I test drove a Mac in 1982 and that's the last time I tried one. Maybe I should try one day.

But VDJ works great for me in Windows - never falters.

Posted Tue 13 Jun 06 @ 9:23 pm
Good to hear it asymptote. I'm glad you don't have any problems. =)

Question is, why are these forums filled with people that do have hardware incompatability as well as general windows issues?

When a portion of these forums is dedicated to Mac users, I'll tell you what you won't see; "My Mac crashed... I had to re-install my Mac drivers... I had to re-format my Mac's hard drive and re-install Mac OS... etc.

Posted Tue 13 Jun 06 @ 11:19 pm
Maybe you're right.

But I think there are probably a lot of people around who don't have problems and we don't see on here.

In my case I only ask my computer and VDJ to do simple things, no video and no scratching - so it should be OK with only modest demands.

If Macs sort out problems for other users, great.

But this thread is about DRM and not an advert for Macs.

Your first post was quite strident on the subject and you didn't fully state your identity or affiliation.

Posted Wed 14 Jun 06 @ 12:21 am

Posted Wed 14 Jun 06 @ 12:12 pm
sjursjur wrote :
Read your heart out:

http://news.google.com/news?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2006-09,GGLG:en&q=norway+itunes

I said it once, I'll say it again:

We'll just pull out of any countries that try to take any actions that result in STATE SPONSORED PIRACY http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060322-6434.html on our services and/or products, the same way we were going to pull out of France when they tried this last month. That's why this same proposal was... "revised" [to say the least]... in committee.

"French DRM law gutted"
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060501-6715.html

"The French [and now Norwegian, among others] implementation of the EU Copyright Directive will result in state-sponsored piracy," said Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris. "If this happens, legal music sales will plummet just when legitimate alternatives to piracy are winning over customers."

Posted Wed 14 Jun 06 @ 3:16 pm
asymptote wrote :

Your first post was quite strident on the subject and you didn't fully state your identity or affiliation.

My first post was simply stating what Apple's stance was when faced with this same issue in France recently. When the French parties involved saw that Apple would rather pull iTunes and iPods out of France rather than to agree to participate in what would result in "state sponsored piracy", they saw the err of their ways and revised the proposed bill to make more legal sense and keep Apple onboard.

Posted Wed 14 Jun 06 @ 3:25 pm
asymptote wrote :

My first post was simply stating what Apple's stance was when faced with this same issue in France recently. When the French parties involved saw that Apple would rather pull iTunes and iPods out of France rather than to agree to participate in what would result in "state sponsored piracy", they saw the err of their ways and revised the proposed bill to make more legal sense and keep Apple onboard.

Actually, this thread is about Apple's iTunes and it's DRM, which is why Apple's Macintosh computers were drawn into the conversation. More accurately, it was your non-sensical comment that "the Mac community couldn't afford VDJ" that drew Macs into this conversation. I simply responded to that by stating that Mac users realize the importance of quality [and are willing to pay for it] and how it effects reliabililty, stability, security, and ultimately productivity, which is why we buy Macs and not windows computers in the first place.

Back on topic. Apple will pull out out of any countries that try to enforce any measures that would result in opening the door to rampant piracy which Apple itself largely diminished with the introduction of iTunes back in April of 2003.

Granted, piracy is still phenomenally huge, but Apple has done it's part to appease the major labels, but most importantly the public. That's why the labels waited until the last minute to sign back on with Apple and iTunes, because they were holding out to see if they could get Steve Jobs and Apple to start charging more for more popular tracks and only charge 99 cents for less popular music. In other words, the labels started getting greedy again and Apple wouldn't change it's fixed pricing structure to accomodate their greed.

If Apple didn't care about fairness to the public and only cared about making more money for themselves and the labels, they wouldn't have put up such a big, public fight against the labels to maintain what they feel is fair pricing for the customer.

That's what you get from an ethical company like Apple, and what you won't see from convicted [3 times in less than 5 years by 3 countries], criminal organizations like microsoft.

microsoft would have sold the public out in a heartbeat to make an extra dime and side with the labels.

Posted Wed 14 Jun 06 @ 3:46 pm
Broadband is so fast these days that all companies with paid download services should offer raw wav downloads which we can convert to what formats we want and play it on what we want. I've hated DRM ever since I first owned a Sony MiniDisc player several years ago and don't think I can ever be satisfied with it.

Posted Wed 14 Jun 06 @ 4:00 pm
I hate DRM too. Apple only implemented it as a way to get the 5 major labels to signon to the iTunes music store which has benefited everybody.

But you see, besides using Fairplay DRM and AAC format, iPods always supported the mp3 format as well. Sony however, tried to force it's proprietary ATRAC format on anyone wanting to use it's crappy NWHD-01-ABC-XYZ-LMNOP [or whatever it's called] music player and it's Sony Connect online music store.

That lasted about 3 months before they realized, "Um, maybe we should let the people play the music they already have in the mp3 format they already have it in instead of forcing them to convert it to our crappy ATRAC format."

Here's to hindsight, Sony. Let's work on foresight next.

Posted Wed 14 Jun 06 @ 4:32 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
horray down with itunes.

Posted Thu 15 Jun 06 @ 9:50 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)